The 10 best Petra Albuns

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Power & Keyboards

Post by Michael » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:40 am

John Lawry didn't join Petra until late in the recording process of Beat the System, so he only appeared on a few tracks, but of course he did play live on Captured in Time & Space. Read about it in Sue D.'s interview with Jonathan David Brown (who produced both albums): http://www.guidetopetra.com/JDB/jdbpetra.htm

As to why I don't care that much for Unseen Power... there are a couple of reasons. One thing is that it seems too highly-polished to me; it's like something that was manufactured rather than created. And it strikes me as a little bit of trying-too-hard-to-be-Beyond-Belief-part-2. It just seems like it's trying a little bit too hard on a few songs... "I Need To Hear From You" and "Secret Weapon" come to mind, just from looking back at the track list. Actually, I remember not being that enthusiastic about Beyond Belief at the time, either... it's like half a CD (half of the songs sound a lot like the other half!) and maybe I came to Unseen Power with a bit of a negative attitude to start with. Actually, though, UP does have a lot more variety than BB does. And both have some great songs on them. It's pretty tough to criticize Petra for the songs; I think it's the collections of songs on each album that people either like or don't.
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

i saw

Post by executioner » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:58 am

I saw Petra on the Not Of This World Tour 2 times and John Lawry was with them both times. John Slick only played the first leg of that tour then retired because of his wife's health. Not Of This World came out June '83, and Slick played until the end of the year. I saw Petra in Houston Jan. '84 and Port Arthur, Tx April '84, and Lawry played both of those dates. So I would not see why Lawry wasn't there for the whole recording.

I don't know why but Unseen Power has always felt stale to me, like you said it felt manufactured. Like those boy bands a few years back.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Lawry

Post by Michael » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:29 pm

Hmm... well, Beat the System was released in '84... that doesn't seem to preclude him joining up midstream.
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1984

Re: these are mine

Post by LexingtonPethead » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:33 pm

executioner wrote: 2 notables missing:

No Doubt- By far their worst did not like the electronic drums. Even though John seems to like it, Bob will tell you it was a BIG mistake(read his book)

Funny how we all have our favorites. No Doubt is actually one of my favorite Petra CDs. It's also the most likely Petra CD my kids will pop into the CD tray.

I didn't know about the electronic drums, but it doesn't bother me. I think the entire CD sounds great and is definitely one of my favorites.
0 x

misterbob
Pethead
Pethead

Haven't done one of these in awhile.

Post by misterbob » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:58 pm

In order...
Unseen Power
Jekyll & Hyde
Rock Block (I know y'all hate the compilations but this was my first exposure to Petra and it means a lot to me)
No Doubt
Wake-Up Call
Beyond Belief
God Fixation
PPs I, II and Revival
Double Take
0 x
Sign of the Times: Prisons are Crowded...Churches are Not

Historymaker
Pethead
Pethead

Hairstyle for Alfred...

Post by Historymaker » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:39 am

I don't know what an albun is... sorry.

Besides, didn't the guys pretty much wear their hair down?
0 x
Want to be in the music industry? Get in.
www.burnlounge.com/soundtrax4life (click on 'watch the commercial')

www.myspace.com/ryansoria

PDX
Pethead
Pethead

Post by PDX » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:08 pm

My list goes like this:

1: This Means War
2: Jekyll & Hyde
3: Beyond Belief
4: On Fire
5: Not of This World
6: Unseen Power
7: Wake-Up Call
8: Never Say Die
9: More Power To Ya
10: God Fixation
0 x

adrinux
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Wake-up Call
Pethead since: 1999

Post by adrinux » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:16 am

comig back to the question...
I like these:
ON FIRE
UNSEEN POWER
WAKE-UP CALL
NOT OF THIS WORLD
GOD FIXATION
BEYOND BELIEF
PETRA PRAISE II - WE NEED JESUS
BEAT THE SYSTEM
REVIVAL
DOUBLE TAKE

not exactily in this order. it's too difficult to choose.
0 x
To learn recursivity, first, you need to learn recursivity.
Para aprender recursividade, primeiro, tem que aprender recursividade.

Kirkman
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Kirkman » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:30 pm

I just think it's kinda funny how many spellings there are in this thread for "Jekyll." (it reminds me how White Heart used to change the spelling of Rick Florian's name in the liner notes for each album) :)

"Jackyll"
"Jeckyll"
"Jeckill"
"Jeckyl"
"Jekill"
"Jekkyl"

--Josh
0 x
[url=http://petrarocksmyworld.com][img]http://www.petrarocksmyworld.com/ads/rocks_ban2.gif[/img][/url]
[b]Petra Rocks My World[/b] -- [i]a site for fans across the globe[/i]! With song lyrics, interviews, newsletter, messageboard, chat room, and more!

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:19 pm

Yeah, that is pretty funny, but it's natural to want to spell it the way it sounds, "Jekill" or "Jeckill". It's easier just to spell it "J&H". The only reason I know how to spell it is because I'm a lit major who happens to like Robert Louis Stevenson. :D Blame it on him, he's the one who wrote the story and made up the name. :P
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

I agree with Lex

Post by Jonathan » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:01 pm

No Doubt is still one of my favorites...at least they tried something with the Robo-drums. Led Zeppelin wasn't perfect every time out, they experimented with all kinds of stuff.

No...musically.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

St. Augustine's Pears
Pethead
Pethead

Post by St. Augustine's Pears » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:32 am

Well...pick my top 10 Petra CDs? Hmmm...I'll narrow my list down to 3 CDs instead, okay? (I have a short attention span)

#1...ON FIRE! The all-time best Petra album. Hartman shreds on the solos, Louie pummels his drums, and Schlitt sounds like he's trying to push his lungs out of his throat when he sings. The production is brilliant...every instrument is heard crystal clear (especially the keyboards). The heaviest, most crushing CD the band ever made...they sound like a cross between Def Leppard (on the rock tracks) and Journey (on the ballads). Has some of their best rockers ever ("Mine Field", "All Fired Up", "Counsel of the Holy")...my favorite praise song ("Somebody's Gonna Praise His Name")...and their best ballad period ("Open Book"). Whether at home or in the car, this CD rarely leaves the CD player.

#2...JEKYLL & HYDE. The 2nd heaviest album Petra ever made. Hartman plugged his electric guitar back in and dialed the amps to 11, while Schlitt remembered how to sing with power. Has some of their most crushing songs on this CD ("Jekyll & Hyde" and "Perfect World") and some of their most catchiest, hook-laden ones ("Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda").

#3...BEYOND BELIEF. What can you say? Petra's best selling album to date. Has some of their best rockers on here..."Beyond Belief"... "Armed and Dangerous"..."Seen and Not Heard". And I don't care if people think Hartman ripped the riff from Kiss' "Heaven's On Fire"..."Seen and Not Heard" is one of their heaviest songs ever (why it is not a concert staple perplexes me).

If a new Petra fan asked me to suggest which Petra CDs to buy first, these 3 would be at the top of the list.
0 x
"And I don't even like pears that well...no, I don't even like 'em at all!" --- from "St. Augustine's Pears"

RockOn
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll and Hyde
Pethead since: 1982

Post by RockOn » Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:56 pm

Depending on how I'm feeling during the day, these are subject to change:

1. Jekyll & Hyde (clearly my favorite, until the next CD :D )

2. Wake-Up Call (a nice break from the Elefantes)

3. On Fire (a powerful one-two punch with All Fired Up and Hit You Where You Live)

4. Beyond Belief (strong production values/great sound)

5. This Means War (a wonderful call to arms)

6. Unseen Power (I appreciated them trying different things--i.e. Hand on My Heart and the use of a choir in Who's On the Lord's Side?)

7. More Power to Ya (my first exposure to Petra)

8. Never Say Die (Greg X's vocals were impressive)

9. Not of this World (a strong continuation of MPTY)

10. Beat the System (this one had to grow on me--I thought it was too electronic-sounding at the time)

My guilty pleasure would be Washes Whiter Than. I even enjoyed the mellower, laid-back Petra.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth.
0 x

Susannah
Pethead
Pethead

Hair you go...

Post by Susannah » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:08 am

Post subject: Hairstyle for Alfred...

I don't know what an albun is... sorry.

Besides, didn't the guys pretty much wear their hair down?
Oh my! Historymaker pulled a Susannah. Only, if I were the one to say that, my family would throw rotten tomatoes at me. :?

Anyways, I appreciate your humor. :)
0 x
It's His delight to give you your desire; it's His desire to set your life on fire!

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by BriGuyPEI » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:43 pm

1. Beyond Belief - In my opinion the all-time classic album. Title track is probably their most recognized song. Not a bad song on the album. Also, any top Petra album would have to contain the long-time line-up of Bob, Louie, John, John, Ronny.

2. On Fire! - Again, not a bad song on this album. Not even a weak one. Every single track is awesome.

3. Jekyll & Hyde - A great return to their roots.

4. Petra - I just love their classic rock stuff. And those extended twinned guitar solos! Walking in the Light is one of my all-time fav Petra songs.

5. Unseen Power - Kind of a more experimental Beyond Belief Part II. Except I'm just not a fan of Hand On My Heart. I don't know what they were thinking on that one.

6. Never Say Die - A very underrated Petra album. Side A in particular has to rank among the best Petra 'sides' ever. Just look at the percentage of songs from this album that have shown up on the many, many Star Song compilations.

7. Beat the System - Yeah, I like the 80s sound.

8. Come And Join Us - See #4.

9. On second thought, I'm just doing a top 8. Those are the real standouts for me. Honourable mention goes to This Means War, We Need Jesus, and More Power To Ya.

On another note, I've recently been listening to God Fixation, and that album has finally started to grow on me. Matter of Time and Over the Horizon are great songs.

Oh, and there's often been debate about Wake Up Call. Here's my brief take: I wasn't a fan of the production, and the songwriting seemed weaker somehow. I mean the line "Prayer works when you take the time to pray." What is that? And in Marks of the Cross it sounds like John is just making up the melody as he goes along (and not doing a great job of it).

Anyway, I've said enough.
0 x