Classic Petra Album

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
cvs2kids
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: All Fired Up
Pethead since: 1983

Classic Petra Album

Post by cvs2kids » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:29 pm

I heard that a new album is coming out in the fall. So not only will this be a best of tour, but also a new cd promotion.
0 x
Well done my good and faithful servant, you may enter with me into paradise.

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Re: Classic Petra Album

Post by Shell » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:54 pm

That would be great--I will certainly be buying it if and when it's released. 8)
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:43 pm

cvs2kids wrote:I heard that a new album is coming out in the fall. So not only will this be a best of tour, but also a new cd promotion.
Where are we hearing this info? You know as of right now this tour is still in the planning stages and nothing(including members) have been confirmed.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:21 pm

According to Greg, it's all a go, all players are in, about 44 shows are booked, lights/sound/video have been contracted, Petra's old tour manager is back, some of the other old guys are back too IIRC, a CD with old and new tunes is planned. I talked to JDB who also spoke with them and he says it's all looking good.
0 x

jejac77
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jejac77 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:47 pm

This is exciting - but I have a question - and I hope I don't sound naive. Which "classic Petra?" Is this soley going to be the Greg era - or with this include John as well. I truly think that both eras need to be included to truly call it "Classic Petra" - otherwise it will be "old Petra" vs the "last Petra."
Brent - you seem to really have the inside track on this - and I value all of the information that you provide us. What is your take on this - and what have you heard from "inside" the industry? I would appreciate some clarity, please.
Thanks
Fr. John
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:07 pm

You can probably find the info you're asking about in the Classic Petra Lineup thread Fr. John, but basically there are two different lineups doing shows; Greg is part of one of the lineups and John is part of the other, so they are both included in this. There's been quite a debate over the Greg/John eras. :P :shock: :mrgreen:
0 x

jejac77
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jejac77 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:18 pm

Thank Shell, I have been following the threads - but I am curious as to which era will be most represented - and then I have to ask why? It would make sense to me for the tour to be a "blast" from the entire past - with both singers. I would be disappointed if this would further polarize the fan base. I love all of the music of Petra - and would love to hear the original hits - by the "original artist. (singer)" Again - maybe I am being naive - but I would think both eras at all shows would sell out the house every show. (that is if it is promoted correctly) I know I am throwing my opinion all over the place - but I can't change that.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:51 pm

The band touring and recording as "Classic Petra" includes Greg X Volz, Louie Weaver, Mark Kelly, Bob Hartman and John Lawry.

The Petra playing the reunion show is John Schlitt, a new fill-in drummer, Greg Bailey, Bob Hartman and John Lawry.

The Classic Petra is the brainchild of Greg X Volz. John will not be on this tour. Greg will not be at the Petra reunion shows.

Due to public demand, there will be more Classic Petra shows than Petra reunion shows. Classic Petra has already booked more shows than the Schlitt Petra has in the last 3 to 4 years. The Classic Petra incarnation has not performed since Volz left in 84. So, there is a bit more interest for it. This is not which one is better. This is like Foriegner or Jounrey. People would probably like to see the original line up over the current band because they have had, or can have, exposure to the recent band. The original, though not necessarily better, holds sentimental and spiritual value that transcends the existing talent.
0 x

petraman
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petraman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:40 pm

Was Ronny asked to join the reunion?
0 x
WhiteHeart Rox 4 CHRIST!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:30 pm

The reunion? Probably not. Ronnie told me that he would be willing to play if he ever got the call. He told me that he has the guys numbers but there isn't much chattin'.

Classic Petra? No way. He was not in that group with Greg.
0 x

petraman
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petraman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:54 pm

I figured he wouldn't be in the classic lineup. I sure wish he would return, any reason they haven't asked him?
0 x
WhiteHeart Rox 4 CHRIST!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:13 pm

petraman wrote:I figured he wouldn't be in the classic lineup. I sure wish he would return, any reason they haven't asked him?
That would be a question for John and Bob. I think though that they are trying to only push the last incarnation.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:05 pm

Hi Fr. John! Good to 'see' you again! I was watching a TV show on Niagara Falls and thought of you right away. :)

Brent wrote:
The Petra playing the reunion show is John Schlitt, a new fill-in drummer, Greg Bailey, Bob Hartman and John Lawry.
Ah.... no. Not Lawry. Who said he was included?

The Petra reunion (with John) is the Farewell lineup... minus Paul. There wasn't a real 'plan' to do a reunion tour - it all came about because one festival asked if the Farewell Petra would play at their fest. The guys said yes.
Classic Petra has already booked more shows than the Schlitt Petra has in the last 3 to 4 years
There hasn't been a Schlitt era Petra in the past 3-4 years... the band retired in 2005. What do you mean?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:33 pm

sue d. wrote:Hi Fr. John! Good to 'see' you again! I was watching a TV show on Niagara Falls and thought of you right away. :)

Brent wrote:
Ah.... no. Not Lawry. Who said he was included?

The Petra reunion (with John) is the Farewell lineup... minus Paul. There wasn't a real 'plan' to do a reunion tour - it all came about because one festival asked if the Farewell Petra would play at their fest. The guys said yes.
Classic Petra has already booked more shows than the Schlitt Petra has in the last 3 to 4 years
There hasn't been a Schlitt era Petra in the past 3-4 years... the band retired in 2005. What do you mean?
The reunion show at the church included John Lawry. I thought there was one other booked. Was I wrong?

I mean that Classic Petra has booked more shows than the last version of Petra. Petra has done one or two reunion shows since retiring?
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:47 am

The show at Celebrate did include Lawry... that was a semi-private affair - not really a concert and it was never advertised as such.

Lawry did play at Celebrate a few times too, but not witih Petra.

Petra only did one 'real' concert since retiring, and that was in Argentina Dec. 2007.

Is there any list or firm dates posted publicly? If there really are 44 shows - I'd like to see them, and see where they are. As a booking agent, SAYING you have dates and actually POSTING them in public are two different things.

Word is getting around for the Farewell Renuion, because I just got another date in Aberdeen, SD. A big 3-day 'mixed' festival, with mainstream country acts like Ronny Milsap, Ricky Skaggs - and Petra!
0 x