John & Classic Petra

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Re: John & Classic Petra

Post by Dan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:19 am

good points Bakes, I think you really have to hand it to john keeping the band together in different forms 1994 to 2005 cause it could have been so easy to say ok I quit in those years for John too.

It's obvious that I am a bigger fan of John's vocals/stage presence.. for most of my childhood and adulthood John S & Bob was Petra for me.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:15 am

It's fine to want the freedom to express your opinion; that's what message boards are for. However, if that is the case, you should be prepared to deal with whatever responses you might get, and they may not all be favorable. Good rule of thumb: Don't post stuff unless you really want people to read and respond to it.

My opinion is the majority of us probably don't talk to John on a regular basis, so there likely aren't very many people here who would actually know firsthand how John would feel about Classic Petra or the CD. I would venture to guess what Brent had to say is pretty accurate as far as how he would respond. And since the issue of respect has been brought up, those who might know would hopefully have enough respect for HIM not to broadcast it if they did happen to know.

I am also of the opinion this is a dead horse.
Last edited by Shell on Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

WR1U
Pethead
Pethead

Post by WR1U » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:39 am

In interviews John said he was a Petra fan long before he sang for them. He loved those songs. Will he listen to it? Yes of course he will. I'm sure he is thrilled God is using the guys. John has things he is doing plus the version of Petra may do sows Bob may go off with John and do some II guys stuff. So what? It matters most that God is given the glory and that the album is used to serv Him and lead the lost to Jesus which has always been the main purpose and focus of Petra. John, Greg, Bob and many other present and past Petra members have said it's foremost a ministry. It doesn't matter who is behind the pulpit<sp> it matters that God is using them for His ultimate plan. As soon as the gospel has been preached to everyone then Jeus can return for us all if this hastens his return so we can all go home the better. Thats what really matters. When we are in heaven we can have a Petra reunion show like none other with John and Greg and it'll last years. Thats the show I want to see.
0 x
Down the corridor or life in between our death and birth
We may start to lose our way in the search to find our worth
Our value comes in the fact we live
Life is a gift only God can give

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:46 am

Gary, it's been awhile, how have you been?
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:46 am

WR1U wrote:In interviews John said he was a Petra fan long before he sang for them. He loved those songs. Will he listen to it? Yes of course he will. I'm sure he is thrilled God is using the guys. John has things he is doing plus the version of Petra may do sows Bob may go off with John and do some II guys stuff. So what? It matters most that God is given the glory and that the album is used to serv Him and lead the lost to Jesus which has always been the main purpose and focus of Petra. John, Greg, Bob and many other present and past Petra members have said it's foremost a ministry. It doesn't matter who is behind the pulpit<sp> it matters that God is using them for His ultimate plan. As soon as the gospel has been preached to everyone then Jeus can return for us all if this hastens his return so we can all go home the better. Thats what really matters. When we are in heaven we can have a Petra reunion show like none other with John and Greg and it'll last years. Thats the show I want to see.
[Like]
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:49 am

Yes, because then we can finaly hear Bob play with Larry Norman and I would love to see that 8)
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

blayze5150
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!

Post by blayze5150 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:42 pm

I hear things were pretty tense when they did that tour together without the band a few years ago. They both had hits: Dave had "Jump" and "Panama" while Sammy had "Humans Being" and "Right Now." They are both great singers, why can't they just get along?

Oh, wrong band. I think John and Greg are cool with each other and have shared the stage together. Rumor has it this was caught on video and witnessed by thousands of people. Just a rumor... can't confirm... it's not like I own the video or anything. Found this on the internet, but I'm not sure it confirms anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx2hds6SLhA

Who knows how John and Greg feel about each other? Are they cool? I can't imagine John listening to the work of four friends he shared years on the road with and a personal hero of his. Why would he do that?

This whole argument is ridiculous. There's nothing there.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:01 pm

Good post Blayze. 8)
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:41 pm

I don't think it's a matter of not caring what John thinks, Matthew, and not a matter of ignoring insults. Too many people on message boards in general have a double standard where they want for themselves what they don't want to allow for others and want to dish it out but don't want to have to take it. If you followed the link to Blayze's post, I think it was evident how John feels about Classic Petra, and other people who probably know have made posts about their thoughts about how John feels.

I'm really sort of wondering what brought this on; you don't normally make posts about the band members. Your posts usually lean towards politics. :shock: :mrgreen:
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:37 pm

Mat, everyone is free to ask anything they want. And everyone is free to respond in any way they want. Everyone has rights to say what ever they want to say, unless your name is Matthew (Just kidding, that was funny come on.)

I have nothing against you brother.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:45 pm

There would be nothing sweeter than for a full blown Classic Petra and regular Petra reunion. Ahhh, Now I'll wake up.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:34 pm

rexreed wrote:There would be nothing sweeter than for a full blown Classic Petra and regular Petra reunion. Ahhh, Now I'll wake up.
Only because that would be the only way to get the Dream Team back together.......right?
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)