Classic Petra Blog Mentions John Schlitt

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Re: Classic Petra Blog Mentions John Schlitt

Post by CatNamedManny » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:08 am

Anyone else catching the irony of Petra fans talking about how Newsboys should change their name now that they've changed vocalists and sound, don't have an Aussie as lead vocalist, etc.?
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:25 am

Well, now that you mention it...I think we are being a bit selective. I am. Maybe I am wrong about changing the name. Van Halen didn't change names, although the name belongs to Alex and Ed, although people call the Sammy version Van Hagar. The Doobies haven't changed names. Journey didn't change names. Alice in Chains hasn't changed names. I guess, in my warped noggin', that it kind of depends on the band, how much the music and personality has changed, and if the legacy has been tainted.
Guns n' Roses has the same d-head lead singer, but the rest of the band is always in a state of flux. Velvet revolver and Adlers Appetite are more G n R than G n R. If Steven Tyler is for sure never returning to Aerosmith (and Aerosmith continues during this season of American Idol), that band should change it's name and move on. People will never forgive Joe Perry and the Aerosmith name will be dookie for sure. The Beatles could have never been the Beatles without one of the fab four, etc.

Steve Perry tried to convince the Journey guys of this as well, asking them to change the name, and leave the door open for him to return. They said he could come back, but he never will now that they have hired two clones to sing the Perry tunes in his absence. The third singer they hired sang with Schon in Soul Sircus and sounded nothing like Perry, but never intended to. The plane was to make new music with a new singer. The people would not have it. Schon pooped on his friend, fired him, and then hit youtube for a clone he and Cain could use as a puppet. They got it. They have no resistance. If something goes wrong with Arnel, they will get one of the three finalists to step in.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:33 am

The Newsboys have changed lead singers before and it didn't bother me, it's just that this change is far more substantial as there has always been an Aussie singing lead for them and that became very distinctive of their sound. That sound is now completely gone, so they just sound any other American pop rock outfit. Nothing distinctive about them anymore.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

RockOn
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll and Hyde
Pethead since: 1982

Post by RockOn » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:36 am

I think the Newsboys now sound more like Tait.

Not that there's anything wrong with it.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:44 am

The Newsboys have changed lead singers before and it didn't bother me, it's just that this change is far more substantial as there has always been an Aussie singing lead for them and that became very distinctive of their sound. That sound is now completely gone, so they just sound any other American pop rock outfit. Nothing distinctive about them anymore.
Peter was the Newsboys original drummer, and had already performed some of the songs on the past CDs before John James stepped down as lead singer. So when Peter stepped up as the new lead singer there wasn’t really that much of a change because we were already used to hearing him.

Tait has his own unique sound and he was an outsider to the band. dcTalk and Newsboys should have never been combined. I’ll admit the song Born Again had me sold, but the rest of the album isn’t really that good and really lame on some tracks. I was upset that they even had the idea to record Jesus Freak and bringing someone else in to do the rap on it instead of Tobymac just seemed stupid to me.

Plus, with Peter going out solo now, seems a little stupid, after all as I understood it, he left the newsboys so he could be with his family more.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:32 am

The black guy from DC talk is a great singer, a lot better than Peter Furler.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:15 am

The black guy from DC talk is a great singer, a lot better than Peter Furler.
Yes I agree He is a far better singer. However, just because someone has much better vocals, doesn’t really mean they are going to fit in a band.

The Beach Boys had far superior vocals compared to The Beatles, but the Beach Boys would have never fit into The Beatles musical style. Michael English would have never fit into singing with Petra. So only time will tell how the Michael Tait era of the Newsboys will fit into history.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:22 am

Michael Tait that's the name, he has an amazing voice.. I remember at high school DC talk was very popular with non-Christians.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:34 am

They were very big in the secular market, and they never hid their message. I remember Tobymac saying here in Bakersfield during the Free at Last tour in 1993 "We're not crossing over, We're Taking the Cross Over" when they were getting ready to go perform on the Tonight Show.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:43 pm

bakersfieldpethead wrote:"We're not crossing over, We're Taking the Cross Over"
Wow, that is lame.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

blayze5150
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1985

Post by blayze5150 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:49 pm

One thing that happened since Michael Tait joined the Newsboys that never happened before: I bought a Newsboys CD. Vast improvement on the vocals, Aussie or not. Sounds good, same or not.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:30 pm

separateunion wrote:
Wow, that is lame.
Toby was just trying to assure the CCM industry at the time that they were not selling out. That they wanted to keep their message no matter how much success they saw on the Charts.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:01 am

bakersfieldpethead wrote:
separateunion wrote:
Wow, that is lame.
Toby was just trying to assure the CCM industry at the time that they were not selling out. That they wanted to keep their message no matter how much success they saw on the Charts.
I get that. I'm just sick of Christians trying to come up with catchy sayings to make themselves or Christianity sound cool. It ends up making us all sound like a bunch of retards.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:15 am

I get that. I'm just sick of Christians trying to come up with catchy sayings to make themselves or Christianity sound cool. It ends up making us all sound like a bunch of retards.
I guess I agree with that. The last 20 years have been full of bands trying to find ways new ways to reach people as if God needed any help the last several hundred years. The thing that really did it for me, I ended up turning on The Daily Show a few years ago and he was making fun of Carman and He showed a video clip of Carman dancing on TBN with shorts an a Hocky Shirt on, Carman was singing Who's in the House and He was doing that annoying little dance where He and the Dancers skooted up close to the stage rapping the first verse. I thought "oh great, what are we doing to Christian Music"
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

jejac77
Pethead
Pethead

Post by jejac77 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:36 am

I attended Kingdom Bound (near Buffalo NY) when Michael Tate took over as lead singer for the Newsboys. It was a huge change - and it did NOT seems like the Newsboys - but more like "DC-News." The only redeeming grace to the show was that they brought Peter Furler out to sing "Breakfast" and the crowd went crazy. That being said - Michael is extremely talented - but he kept speaking of himself in the 3rd person all night - as "Michael Tate and the Newsboys." I really didn't see the need for that - and I must admit it turned me off a bit toward his attitude during the show.
Last year they were back at Kingdom Bound - and they didn't close the event (as in years past) but instead Toby Mac did (irony?) The Newsboys historically have always had the crowd in the palm of their hands - but this year it was not the same - almost like they were going through the motions. They are a viable band - but they are different - and a reall loss of energy. It could be the loss of a bassist - (3 years ago) and having Jeff play bass on the keys.
They are booked again for this year - the 25th anniversary of Kingdom Bound - and it will be interesting to see on which of the 4 nights they will appear. (Ironically - opening the entire event will be "Classic Petra!")
I love the Newsboys - have all their recordings - but am not sure how long they can continue as they are presently formed. Just my honest opinion.
0 x