Petra video shoot and TV show practices

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Re: Petra video shoot and TV show practices

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:13 am

rexreed wrote:God Fixation sounded pretty good to me- there I said it... now you can all laugh at me.
I'm not laughing at you. As everyone here knows, GOD FIXATION is my favorite Petra album.

Hey, someone's got to fly the freakin' flag for this album...why not me? :wink:
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:43 am

Hey I agree that God Fixation is a great album. I am a fan of many different styles of music. God Fixation wasn't a rocker album but it had some great songs. the song God Fixation had an awesome style all its own, I love the bass intro. And the production was good.

But Wake-Up Call was the best produced of the John Schlitt years.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

blayze5150
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1985

Post by blayze5150 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:11 pm

I actually listened to God Fixation for the first time in a long time last night. I forgot how good it was, and feel bad for bashing it in the past. We won't discuss Double Take, though.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:31 pm

Whats your definition of a rocking album? Rock is not only heavily distorted guitars, with repetitive riffs. It more than that. God Fixation, rocked quite well wile exploring other aspects of modern rock, and that's why it still sounds current today. Of course, production helped, which surprisingly the Elefante brothers were able to produce a record the still sounds good after 12 years, with real sounding drums.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

Masada1
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Masada1 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:11 pm

I've always felt that God Fixation was in and of itself a decent album. I still say and will stand by the idea that it wasn't a good Petra album. I don't think it competed well with others artists in that genre and it further alienated a fanbase that was finding itself ambivalent after PP2 and all the member changes. The stuff that John was doing solo wise during this time period was a much better direction for them to have gone in, IMO.

I can appreciate God Fixation for what it is now. But, I remember being up in Chicago on a mini-vacation with my wife when it came out. I saw it in a store up there and immediately bought it. I rushed to the hotel not want to wait to see what the new guys were going to sound like. To be honest, after the first listen, I was completely underwhelmed. I can appreciate the album now...but at the time, I was just so disappointed.

And, yeah, I won't even mention Double Take.
0 x
"Back to the Rock" Classic Petra Fan Forum http://www.classicpetrafan.рroboards.com/

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:27 pm

Whats your definition of a rocking album?
Compared to Wake-Up Call or Unseen Power, God Fixation isn't the rocker that those older albums were. However, it was a modern rock album, not as heavy but still a good production.
We won't discuss Double Take, though.
We don't have to look hard to see what album would be the blacksheep album of the collection. I think if any of those songs made it to a compilation it should be the newer songs. However it did win a Grammy. So I am thankful for the award we can add to the bands legacy.

Should there ever be another compilation collection released, let's at least hope they put all the songs on there that didn't end up on an album, all the various artists contributions would be nice all on one disc.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:01 pm

I thought there was at least 3. Plus any live recordings that might have been taped would be awesome.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:13 pm

Who do listen to?
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:27 pm

yeah but others like it. And having all three on one collection with other tracks would be a good thing. Plus some of us have outgrown our Carman collection so it might be a good thing to grab "Our Turn Now" onto that list.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:47 am

We were sitting far enough back that I didn't notice any lip syncing, and the music sounded different enough from the album to me that I don't believe it was fully taped. The one thing I wonder is the high notes toward the end of "Adonai." I was impressed that Greg could still hit them, and I assumed they were live. Now, I'm not so sure. But obviously the drums were real, given that Louie broke one. 8)

I was going to be in Nashville that week anyway, and just changed our Thanksgiving with my parents to be one weekend earlier, so it wasn't a waste for me. I probably wouldn't have considered it a waste even if I had traveled 700 miles just for that ... but it would definitely make me a little more uneasy with the expense. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about that!
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

jeremywg
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of this World
Pethead since: 1981

Post by jeremywg » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:22 am

CatNamedManny wrote:We were sitting far enough back that I didn't notice any lip syncing, and the music sounded different enough from the album to me that I don't believe it was fully taped. The one thing I wonder is the high notes toward the end of "Adonai." I was impressed that Greg could still hit them, and I assumed they were live. Now, I'm not so sure. But obviously the drums were real, given that Louie broke one. 8)
I believe all the music was live. Bob's guitar and Louie's drums were live, and I'm 100% sure of that. Some of the keyboards may have been tracked. Greg was giving hand signs to the sound guy of when to bring his real vocals in and out. I noticed Micheal Tait doing the same thing with Newsboys this year. Unfortunately it's becoming viral because long tours used to take a toll on a vocalist but this allows them to sing every night without losing their voice. It's all about the show anyway and if someone gets saved, I don't care how they do the vocals.
0 x
"Where is my long lost "Beat the System" Bandanna? I just can't rock without it."

CatNamedManny
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:00 am

Yeah, I'm clueless about that kind of stuff. I saw him motioning backstage, and I assumed he was having trouble hearing himself in the monitor. The Petra admins on the official site said that Greg had backing tracks to use in case he needed them, and that he used them rarely during the show, and that he will sing those parts live for the DVD, so that there won't be any album vocals on the DVD. They also said Bob's guitar solo on TBTF was tracked because he was doing the rhythm in concert, which is understandable.

Makes me think this whole kerfuffle (we should all use that word as often as possible) about lip syncing might have been a tad overblown.
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:09 am

Well they never did say it was going to be a concert; they were doing it for a taping so I figured some stuff would be prerecorded.

IMO the top 5 best produced Petra albums are:

5. MPTY
4. God Fixation
3. PP2
2. JAH
1. WUC

These are in some ways not my favorite style of Petra, but IMO the best sounding and will always stand the test of time.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:22 am

CatNamedManny wrote:Makes me think this whole kerfuffle (we should all use that word as often as possible) about lip syncing might have been a tad overblown.
No, I pretty much still think that a lot of TBN preachers lipsink their preaching on air.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

jeremywg
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of this World
Pethead since: 1981

Post by jeremywg » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:44 am

bakersfieldpethead wrote: No, I pretty much still think that a lot of TBN preachers lipsink their preaching on air.
No, No, No!! They use teleprompters to preach.
0 x
"Where is my long lost "Beat the System" Bandanna? I just can't rock without it."