Mark vs. Ronnie

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: Mark vs. Ronnie

Post by executioner » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:50 pm

I loved Ronnie on his energy and funky style of play and I think he added some much needed life at the time when he came in, but overall I like Mark's playing style better; It is really smooth with alot of soul. I compare his style to Ross Valory(Journey) which is one of my favs of all time.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

jeremywg
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of this World
Pethead since: 1981

Post by jeremywg » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:21 am

They were both great for the style Petra was going for at the time. However Marks silver shin wraps on "Captured in time and space" Puts him in the lead fashion wise.
0 x
"Where is my long lost "Beat the System" Bandanna? I just can't rock without it."

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:40 am

I will say that Mark had that early to mid 80s Pop Rock look, the spikes with short hair. He looked like he could have walked on to a Police Video and fit in.

Ronnie had the Metal look going, not at first but by 1989 he was sporting the long wavy hair. I think Ronnie and John L really matched up a lot better according to their style, not just musically but on the stage too.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

jensskov
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1987

Post by jensskov » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:55 pm

I'm all in for Ronny!
He joined the band when I was a kid and his playing made me start playing bass and i'm still doing that.
I wrote some letters to him and always got nice answers to my questions :-)

No doubt Mark is a talented player, I just like both the sound and the style of Ronnys playing better.
.. and oh how I wanted to have the hair he had and the Kubicki ex-factor 4.
0 x

zuzoka
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1999

Post by zuzoka » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:05 pm

I don't know the answer to this question...Lol. I am obsessed with Ronnie since I know Petra. Actually he was one of the reasons I became a fan. I love his style. And I also think that he's a very good bass player. I love him on "On Fire!", it's very convincing, very heavy stuff. But then there's Mark who I saw live and I was amazed. Before that I did not like him this much. And he can sing really well. Maybe better than Ronnie. He's testimony was awesome, I could see that he is very honest and committed. I like those things about him. But Mark & Ronnie are from different eras. It's really hard to decide on them. I didn't like Mark with John and I would hate Ronnie with Greg.
The conclusion is: Mark is amazing with Greg and Ronnie was the perfect bass player with John.
0 x

LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1993

Post by LivingRock » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:04 am

zuzoka wrote: Mark is amazing with Greg and Ronnie was the perfect bass player with John.
Agreed ;) If you check out this video and compare it to CITAS, Ronny is Beast! At least, he moves around more on the stage, and REALLY looks like he's having a great time. I like both of them, but since Ronny is Dream Team, I'll pick Ronny. Not that I don't love Mark's playing, but...ya know ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npmBOMQfk9c
0 x
"Pethead" is not a title. It's a way of life.

http://pathofthecarpenter.blogspot.ca/

LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead

Post by LivingRock » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:06 am

Forgot to mention, the above video also has one of my favorite guitar solos by Bob. Wish this would have made it onto the CD!
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:12 pm

Lighting has always been an issue for me at Petra shows. John in the dark? Please. That should never EVER happen. The cues were either non existent, the operators sucked or both.
0 x

petraman
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petraman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:39 pm

You can't even see them in the video.
0 x
WhiteHeart Rox 4 CHRIST!

LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead

Post by LivingRock » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:05 pm

Yeah that's the only issue for me too. Imagination only goes so far ya know. :lol:
0 x

drake78
Pethead
Pethead

Post by drake78 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:50 am

I'd definitely go with Mark over Ronnie. Ronnie was more spastic on stage, but that's not always a plus, as some others have noted. Some of his dance moves make me cringe. As for better vocals, this one isn't even close. Ronnie was okay doing some back-up vocals live, but Mark is actually a vocalist in his own right. Just take a listen to his 'duet' with Greg X. Volz on the song Disciple. There is no doubt that Ronnie wouldn't have fit in with the Volz era Petra, but I find it interesting that Mark fit into both the Volz and Schlitt era Petras equally well. And I'll second that Mark is one of the most humble down to earth guys I've ever met. After the TBN taping, we talked for about 10 minutes after the show, and he was incredibly gracious.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:27 pm

My impression is that Mark was a very technical player. The reason he didn't jump around like a crazy man is partly because that's not his personality and partly because you can't do complex finger work while bouncing around. Ronnie was more a straight-ahead rock-n-roll bassist who played in "broad strokes". Both excellent musicians, but I prefer Mark's playing. Though to Ronnie's credit, he never walked on stage wearing thigh-high silver moon boots.
0 x

drake78
Pethead
Pethead

Post by drake78 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:33 pm

Greg almost certainly plays the cello better than Mark or Ronnie ;)
0 x

onyx
Pethead
Pethead

Post by onyx » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:37 pm

Mountain Man wrote: Though to Ronnie's credit, he never walked on stage wearing thigh-high silver moon boots.
***Neither did Mark. They were knee high and it *was* the 80s. Believe it or not, everybody I knew thought they were pretty cool at the time. LOL
0 x

neonpachyderm
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1983

Post by neonpachyderm » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:27 pm

brent wrote:
Daniel wrote: I didn't care for Ronnie's tone or the lack thereof. Of course, he was playing Peavey for a while. That might explain some of it :)
(begin Peavey fan-boy rant)
Heeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyy....
(end Peavey fan-boy rant)

Seriously though, I love Peavey gear.

As for Mark vs. Ronnie, I'd have to say Mark, but it all has to do with when I fell in love with the band, and that was _TMW_.
0 x