Latest on Classic Petra?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: Latest on Classic Petra?

Post by brent » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:05 am

They don't have to pay him to play anymore. Steve was involved with the new anniversary greatest hits released on vinyl, which ships Nov. There is a nice interview with him about the mastering and song selection process. So, I would not say that he is out of it.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:06 am

But unlike pre 2008 he no longer has any ownership of Journey or any of the bands songs. All the songs and the Journey name are completely owned by Neal, Ross, and Jonathan; assuming they are the three current members they are talking about in the interview.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:06 pm

rexreed wrote:I'm not sure it is fair to say that John S. and Steve Perry have voices that fell apart.
I agree. A singer's voice deepening is not the same as "falling apart". Both of them can still sing, they just can't hit those dog-whistle notes they used to.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:11 pm

executioner wrote:But unlike pre 2008 he no longer has any ownership of Journey or any of the bands songs. All the songs and the Journey name are completely owned by Neal, Ross, and Jonathan; assuming they are the three current members they are talking about in the interview.
I'm sure he still gets royalties from the songs he wrote. He'd have to be an idiot to give that up. Most likely he just no longer has any say in how the songs are used. For instance, when the producer of The Sopranos wanted to use "Don't Stop Believing" in the series finale, he had to get Perry's personal approval. That's probably not the case any more.
Last edited by Mountain Man on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:16 pm

brent wrote:Steve bought a ProTools HD system and set up a studio in his home. He has had some people in to train him, and record. He says that the new material is R and B, his roots. Journey rock fans would be let down.
I don't care what genre he's singing, I'd buy a new Steve Perry album in a heartbeat.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:36 pm

I think it's funny how many Petra fans also like Journey. Maybe we should hand out Petra Zone cards at Journey shows to see how many Journey fans like Petra?
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:50 am

rexreed wrote:I think it's funny how many Petra fans also like Journey. Maybe we should hand out Petra Zone cards at Journey shows to see how many Journey fans like Petra?
Yeah, Journey is one of my all-time favorite secular bands. I've always thought Petra, Jouney, REO, Styx and Foreigner resembled each other musically in different ways. As good as they all are, Petra reigns above them in my opinion.
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:56 am

LivingRock wrote:
brent wrote: I would be more worried about Bob being able to play the same riffs and solos. .
Search "Judas' Kiss Live" (the one with John singing) and compare Bob's solo to the original one. I think the new version is just as good or better, so I wouldn't worry about Bob. :P Mr. Magic Fingers can still beat the pants off any other player, at least in my books! 8)

Yes, I am biased... you couldn't tell, could you? LOL
I agree. Just gave the Classic Petra project a listen on Rhapsody (yes, Rhapsody has it for those who don't want to fill their sd cards with mp3's, and I haven't ordered the CD yet, but I will today), and Bob's guitar solos are actually BETTER, FASTER, MORE INTRICATE than the originals. If anything, Bob could out-do what he did in the past when he was younger. Just because you get older doesn't mean you always get arthritis and stuff like that. I'm almost 47 and I have nothing of the sort. Sure, I don't run like I used to, jump out of bed like I used to, but my hands feel like they did when I was 16. :mrgreen:
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:51 pm

I was just looking over a promo pic of the Classic Petra band, which is the BTS lineup... and remembering how many times I've wished Petra would get together again since 2006 as an official band... never thought it would be the Petra from 1984. Even if they don't put out any *new* full-length projects, I feel very blessed to have this old favorite Petra lineup back in the studio recording the music I've loved for years - and back on the stage too!
0 x