Who's overdubbing on the Farewell CD?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
petrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Who's overdubbing on the Farewell CD?

Post by petrafan » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:20 pm

okay we all know that live recordings often (maybe always) demand studio overdubs on some tracks, in the post production phase, before being released.
so... since the guys are following a somewhat busy tour schedule, which musicians are recording the overdub parts on Petra Farewell in studio in this meanwhile?
0 x
i wanna live until i die.

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

i

Post by executioner » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:30 pm

I know Bob did some, that is why he missed a concert last week in Canada.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

3rd_DAY Fan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by 3rd_DAY Fan » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:43 pm

what do you mean studio ovrdub does that mean they play some parts in the studio and record it in the cd
0 x

petrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrafan » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:48 pm

yes that happens in almost all live recordings. not all live material make it to the CD for various reasons, and some of it ends being replaced on studio.
0 x

petrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Re: i

Post by petrafan » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:49 pm

executioner wrote:I know Bob did some, that is why he missed a concert last week in Canada.
that's interesting. who played the guitar?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: Who's overdubbing on the Farewell CD?

Post by brent » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:08 pm

petrafan wrote:okay we all know that live recordings often (maybe always) demand studio overdubs on some tracks, in the post production phase, before being released.
so... since the guys are following a somewhat busy tour schedule, which musicians are recording the overdub parts on Petra Farewell in studio in this meanwhile?
With modern digital workstations, you have to really be bad to need an overdub. Notes can be cut and pasted to assemble a goo take. The vocals are the only critical thing most times, as they are harder to fix without making it obvious, by revealing repetitious back ground noises, etc. It is harder to Autotune vocals of a live recording because of all of the bleed.
0 x

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:35 pm

John was called back in to sing some of vocals again the day after the taping, so I imagine they got what they needed then.
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: i

Post by executioner » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:18 am

petrafan wrote:
executioner wrote:I know Bob did some, that is why he missed a concert last week in Canada.
that's interesting. who played the guitar?
It was on the zone under some concert review I believe started by MathewRJ. It was some unknown guitar player. Maybe from on of the opening acts.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Petra Fan Canada
Pethead
Pethead

The missing guatarist

Post by Petra Fan Canada » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:26 am

The concert in question was in Ottawa.

Look at Matthew RJ's post. It was an odd affair, but quite intimate. They mostly played acoustically. farewell June's guatarist helped some and even our own Mr. Bailey did a bit.

After it was all said and done, the people there had the option to go to another concert, free of charge, over the next 2-3 days.
0 x

petrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Who's overdubbing on the Farewell CD?

Post by petrafan » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:36 pm

brent wrote:
petrafan wrote:okay we all know that live recordings often (maybe always) demand studio overdubs on some tracks, in the post production phase, before being released.
With modern digital workstations, you have to really be bad to need an overdub. Notes can be cut and pasted to assemble a goo take. The vocals are the only critical thing most times, as they are harder to fix without making it obvious, by revealing repetitious back ground noises, etc. It is harder to Autotune vocals of a live recording because of all of the bleed.
overdubs are not always about the vocalists and players being good or bad. (of course that applies to boy (and girl) bands and to artists who are not originally singers, but rather celebrities that happen to record an album at some point of their career just to make money out of their fame.) even with fine groups and bands, sometimes a song needs some embelishments to make it to the CD. sometimes the producers find certain recorded parts did not meet what a live recording was supposed to deliver, even with 2 live recordings' material to choose from. not all problems in a live recording can be fixed with fine-tuning the vocal track or editing (cutting/copying) the instruments' tracks where needed.
that's why the "absolutely live" recording is virtually non-existant - with all due respect to DeGarmo & Key, since i am a fan too. remember, they released a live album in 1987 or 1988 named Absolutely Live, claiming that that album didnt have any overdubs.
anyway, it was interesting to find that Bob had to miss a show to record some guitar parts, and John did that too (without missing a show tho). i was wondering if this recording
0 x

petrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrafan » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:38 pm

(continuing) i was wondering if this record was going to be "absolutely live" or not.
0 x

callbeyond
Pethead
Pethead

Post by callbeyond » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:43 pm

Did John add any background vocals? Bob probably added rhythym guitars...just speculation.

"Not farewell...just so long for now!"
0 x
God Bless!
Taking The Call,
Kevin Barnett
www.callbeyondmusic.com
"NO DEFIANCE....JUST GOD RELIANCE!"

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by BriGuyPEI » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:54 pm

King's X recently release a live album with very minimal touch-ups. When Doug Pinnick first heard what it sounded like he was very disappointed, but that was because he hadn't realised the amount of fixing up that most live albums get. After he found that out he was pretty happy with it.

Many times bands can go too far with the studio tinkering though. If there's any Kiss fans out there with Alive II you'll know what I mean. If you have it, go listen to the song Tomorrow and Tonight and have fun counting the different Paul Stanley vocal tracks. There are several layered on top of each other doing BGV harmonies and such. It sounds good, but it's not truly live.
0 x

petrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petrafan » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:36 pm

anybody remembers the song Picture Perfect on the Michael W Smith Change Your World Tour video? either the vocal track was a studio track, or he dubbed it live. but no way that was the live track.
0 x

callbeyond
Pethead
Pethead

Post by callbeyond » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:14 am

I'm sure there were overdubs on CITAS too. If JDB was producing, I'm almost SURE there were overdubs. Unless they did it all with tracks and loops in concert!
0 x
God Bless!
Taking The Call,
Kevin Barnett
www.callbeyondmusic.com
"NO DEFIANCE....JUST GOD RELIANCE!"