John Elefante - New Album

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
lucianotaz
Pethead
Pethead

John Elefante - New Album

Post by lucianotaz » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:22 pm

Hi guys,

Here goes a link with a sample of John Elefante´s new album:

http://www.ilike.com/artist/John+Elefante

The album is not completed and somethings will change, like he´s said in the sample.
0 x

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

new LP

Post by gman » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:46 am

Cool. I hope this sees the light of day, though I hesitate to hold my breath for it. I've been waiting a long time for something new from JE. I thought his last two discs were fantastic. He would have been great with a band, but chose not to do it for whatever reason. I guess when you sell the sound Kitchen, you can kick back for awhile.

GMan
0 x

cndfogie
Pethead
Pethead

Post by cndfogie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:52 am

Thanks for sharing! This is awesome. It sounds amazing.
0 x

BForm
Pethead
Pethead

Great News

Post by BForm » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:13 pm

I've always loved his voice. I really like his old cd's but love the edge in the new stuff. I could hear a little Kansas influence in a few of the songs as well. Thanks for the tip.
0 x
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. - John Piper

lucianotaz
Pethead
Pethead

Not a Commercial Album

Post by lucianotaz » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:55 am

Guys,

It seems John is not worry about to make a commercial album and this is a very good thing in my opinion !!!

Some people say that they do not know the success secret, but the failure comes when you want to pleasure everybody !
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:25 pm

I will step in it a bit.

I like JE. I liked him in Kansas most. His solo records were very good. They were great actually. BUT, he is not where Christian radio is, so it only makes sense that this is not a commercial record. P&W tunes occupy about 90% of the playlists in the larger markets. Rock occupies about 8%. So, he is smart not to try to play a young man's game and go for the radio market. He can also afford not to.

When I hear or read someone saying that a commercial record is a bad thing, I cringe. It is NOT a bad thing. Petra was once the largest commercial CCM success story. There are many household names that we enjoy today that made commercial records. Thank God they did.

It is not easy to make a good commercial record that stands the test of time. Think about it. The artist and the production team skillfully craft something that reaches a bulk of a music buying public. Some people call it selling out. No. It is selling PERIOD. The opposite of selling out is quitting music early because nobody cares about what a band does. It is the opposite of success (and I am not just talking about filthy rich success. I am talking about paying your debts incurred by making music.)

I once heard Richard Marx (http://www.richardmarx.com/) say something that stuck with me. He said that people should write and perform music that the masses want to pay money to hear, and keep what we like for ourselves (which may unsellable and/or unpopular) at home in the bedroom studio. The trick is to work in what the artist likes and wants to say, while being acceptable to as many as possible. There is nothing wrong with that, unless the artist sucks at it or is obviously out of his/her musical element.
0 x

Tutor_23
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Tutor_23 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:38 pm

Very nice sound. Smooth and rockin'. As has been said, I do hope this sees the light of day.
Andy from Indiana
0 x
"Never surrender. Never, never surrender!"
- Sir Winston Churchill

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:32 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5DNOeSe47s

I know JE wrote this song, just trying to work out if this was done before PP2?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:43 pm

That was long before PP2.
0 x

Tutor_23
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Tutor_23 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:07 am

So, you who are privy to the mechinations of the music world, what do you think? Will JE's new record ever see the light of day? The demos he's posted sound GREAT! If any of you know him, send him a word of encouragement - I've got to believe there's a market for that style, by this particular well-established artist.
0 x
- Sir Winston Churchill

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:13 pm

Listen to what's on radio and what is in the stores. That is what is in demand at the moment. If a record doesn't match, it will not sell. The exception would be if the product is breaking new ground, ushering the next fad.

If one has a product that macthes the others, and spends enough money on publisher, promotion, etc , anything can happen. Occassionally good songs make it through in spite of the system. Those songs are rare. Anything can happen though.
0 x

Vic
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Vic » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:28 am

brent wrote:Listen to what's on radio and what is in the stores. That is what is in demand at the moment. If a record doesn't match, it will not sell. The exception would be if the product is breaking new ground, ushering the next fad.
The mass music market is now more desperately twisted as never before. Switch on the telly or radio and you'll hear Beyonce with her 15+ years in music trying to sound like Rihanna, a newby. Isn't that stooping too low?

Every other hiphopper including seasoned ones are now scrumming for an opportunity to collabo with Lil Wayne, a short, croaking newby with epileptic dance moves currently ruling (and ruining) the airwaves.

I think it is now time to educate music consumers for the sake of the future of music.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:52 am

That has always happened in nearly every genre of recorded music. Labels sell a package of artists. They did it with tours as well. So I have no problems with this. It is cross pollenation.

I agree that the pop and hip hop scene sucks. Someone in that market might think my preferences suck. That's fine. Isn't personal tatste great?

Education will never work. Education becomes slanted. My kids are being educated on gay life at school. On the 17th they have a queer day of silence. Of course my daughters are vocal about their faith and will not participate. We resist education when required.

The masses resist education when it comes to laws of the land, drug abuse, sexual activity, proper food prep, etc. If people will not learn about the things that are life and death realated, they will not care to learn music, culture, class, common sense, etc. Besides, how the heck would you undertake such a chore?
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:21 pm

Queer day of silence? They have to be quiet the whole day to show support of the gays? What??!!
0 x

Tutor_23
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Tutor_23 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:41 pm

Frankly, I haven't the slightest idea what's being played on CCR because I don't listen to it. Haven't for years. I found it to be mostly vapid & boring. I listen to CDs, Mp3s, and talk or teaching radio. JE's got at least one sale lined up - I'll buy his record if he ever publishes it!
0 x
- Sir Winston Churchill