Classic Petra - The Upcoming New Album.

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: CP-New Record

Post by brent » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:26 am

But you can't compare a record that cost under $5k 70s dollars to a $100k 70s dollar production.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:41 am

That's why I like the re recordings. While it still takes skill to record a decent album it can be done for less now than in 1980.
0 x

bjh
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War
Pethead since: 1987

Post by bjh » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:05 pm

I'm sorry, I thought we were talking drums and JDB. "Snare, hat, and kick..."

Brent, you say "warm, authentic, and natural". When I listen to the JDB era, maybe it's my imagination, or just my untrained ear, but I hear "synthetic" as opposed to "authentic and natural". That was the 80's, wasn't it? Should I expect anything else? To me, and maybe only to me, those albums sound like dated (early) 80's music. So maybe I need to put a different spin on that... maybe that was the sound of the time not JDB. If that's the case, maybe he should have another shot at it.

You say, "I love Louie, but..." essentially, yes, sideline him because he doesn't jive. As far as it being your genuine, valid, opinion, that's cool. There's nothing wrong with that. I am not in the industry, but you are. You've seen what works and what doesn't. Perhaps, if I may, also, "who works and who doesn't". I respect that. I've had the pleasure of working with musicians, too, on occasion. SIngers, actually (if that matters). Not all of them had egos, but some did, for sure. As for Louie, he has his strengths, but weaknesses too. We all do.

Frankly, Louie is/was part of CP / Petra. Use him if you can. Hopefully it's what we'll hear in concert.
0 x
BJH

"Through the ages it will ring... to Jehovah we will sing!"

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:17 pm

bjh wrote:I'm sorry, I thought we were talking drums and JDB. "Snare, hat, and kick..."

Brent, you say "warm, authentic, and natural". When I listen to the JDB era, maybe it's my imagination, or just my untrained ear, but I hear "synthetic" as opposed to "authentic and natural". That was the 80's, wasn't it? Should I expect anything else? To me, and maybe only to me, those albums sound like dated (early) 80's music. So maybe I need to put a different spin on that... maybe that was the sound of the time not JDB. If that's the case, maybe he should have another shot at it.
What? If you would replace "JDB" for "the Elefante brothers" in that text, I would agree. But the drums on the Jonathan David Brown albums sound very natural and authentic, which they no doubt are.

...Except for "Beat the system" of course...
0 x

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

Post by superfly » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:45 pm

Maybe bjh is thinking of/referring to Beat The System? Otherwise I'm a little confused too.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:43 pm

Good thinking. That has to be it. But, BTS didn't count IMO, because that album was not really shaped sonically by JDB. It was done by a cat in LA on the Fairlight. That album was groundbreaking for Christian and secular music in a few ways. There were not a many albums made almost exclusively on computers and keyboards yet. Synclaviers and Fairlights were brand new technology and, while it sounded like crap to me, they were cool, and they did usher in a new age of making records.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:22 pm

I agree, Never Say Die, More Power To Ya and Not of This World had the better natural drum sounds. I would also say that when they did Wake-Up Call that also had a far better drum sound then the drum sounds of the Elefante brothers.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:31 pm

rexreed wrote:The early records don't sound so hot to me. If you have to make an excuse for how they turned out, like budget or what not then they just don't sound the same as other bands of the time.
Nobody is making excuses. I think the JDB albums sound great and are comparable to any other album released at the time. Whatever differences you're hearing are the result of stylistic decisions and not poor production quality as you imply.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
rexreed wrote:The early records don't sound so hot to me. If you have to make an excuse for how they turned out, like budget or what not then they just don't sound the same as other bands of the time.
Nobody is making excuses. I think the JDB albums sound great and are comparable to any other album released at the time. Whatever differences you're hearing are the result of stylistic decisions and not poor production quality as you imply.
No! The low end is no where to be found compared to the rock albums of the day.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:34 pm

I would consider that a stylistic choice and not a lack of production quality.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:00 pm

Mountain Man wrote:I would consider that a stylistic choice and not a lack of production quality.
No producer especially a rock producer would leave out the low end sound because of style, it might be because of lack of funds and not enough studio time or it could be from lack of experience.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:35 am

Mountain Man wrote:I would consider that a stylistic choice and not a lack of production quality.
lol you could say anything that is mediocre is a style choice!
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:49 pm

You guys are begging the question. Just because you personally don't like it doesn't make it a quality control issue.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:14 pm

I don't really like WUC but it doesn't sound cheap or second rate in the slightest. I listen to the early albums and it sounds kinda weak. I recently purchased some Rez from the same time (early 80's) and was surprised to hear what, IMO, sounded like a much better produced album.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:30 am

rexreed wrote:I don't really like WUC but it doesn't sound cheap or second rate in the slightest. I listen to the early albums and it sounds kinda weak. I recently purchased some Rez from the same time (early 80's) and was surprised to hear what, IMO, sounded like a much better produced album.
Oh yeah; Rez production value is so much better than anything Petra has done. The funny thing except for the Lament album everything else by Rez was done in house.
0 x