Classic Petra - The Upcoming New Album.

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Re: CP-New Record

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:05 pm

No offense, but I really don't think you guys have any idea what you're talking about. No dynamics? If anything, that Rez cut lacks dynamics because everything is compressed to sound loud and "in your face" instead of allowing the music to have a natural ebb and flow. I think that would be even more evident if you analyzed the waveforms. The Rez cut would look like a solid bar while the Petra cut would show a series of peaks and valleys in the waveform indicating a greater dynamic range, so exactly the opposite of what you're asserting.

And claiming that the bass and drums are just background noise? I have no idea what that means. The bass and drums are clearly there and distinguishable even if they're a little lower in the mix than the Rez sample, but I fail to see how that's evidence of low production values. Listen to anything by Journey from that same period and you'll hear the same tone to their music. Am I to believe that Journey albums were also poorly produced?

Run for the Prize versus Don't Stop Believing
0 x

Timbo
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Timbo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:57 pm

So, after a month now, is there an update to my original question? Or do we still not really know for sure what the plan is for future CP recordings?
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:06 pm

Timbo wrote:So, after a month now, is there an update to my original question? Or do we still not really know for sure what the plan is for future CP recordings?
I know nobody on the outside knows what they are going to do, and I'm not really sure even if the ones on the inside knows exactly what they are going to do.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:20 am

Mountain Man wrote:No offense, but I really don't think you guys have any idea what you're talking about. No dynamics? If anything, that Rez cut lacks dynamics because everything is compressed to sound loud and "in your face" instead of allowing the music to have a natural ebb and flow. I think that would be even more evident if you analyzed the waveforms. The Rez cut would look like a solid bar while the Petra cut would show a series of peaks and valleys in the waveform indicating a greater dynamic range, so exactly the opposite of what you're asserting.

And claiming that the bass and drums are just background noise? I have no idea what that means. The bass and drums are clearly there and distinguishable even if they're a little lower in the mix than the Rez sample, but I fail to see how that's evidence of low production values. Listen to anything by Journey from that same period and you'll hear the same tone to their music. Am I to believe that Journey albums were also poorly produced?

It is clear to me that there is nothing that can be said to explain to you that the early Petra albums do not sound as well produced as other albums from the same time by top artists. I guess they are wasting a lot of resources by re recording the songs thirty years later since they did a bang up job the first time. :lol: BTW- even though JS Petra is compared to Def Leppard a lot- the quality is lacking there too.
0 x

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:23 am

rexreed wrote:I guess they are wasting a lot of resources by re recording the songs thirty years later since they did a bang up job the first time. :lol:
Yes they are! The More power to ya album sounds better than Back to the rock to me actually! That's one of the reasons I want the next album to contain mainly new material.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:46 am

IMNSHO, they are wasting their time recording anything, unless they get some major money behind them. People do not know about CP by and large, and there needs to be more demand. But then again, Coldplay had 3 MILLION Spotify plays from a recent album and received a payment of £3000....whoopty doo! The people with the money need to make sure that people do not buy it on-line, where royalties are seldom paid, and only range from $.0013 to $.0002 per song played. CP, and John Schlitt, needs to be EVENT based, and these guys eventually need to forget about recording material to sell, and just consider it an advertising element, where the CD is a 35 minute infomercial. People place no value on recordings anymore. Audio with Video and is just as unprofitable. EVENTS are going to yield them more pocket change.

When will denominations get smart, adopt bands and artists into their missions programs, and sponsor them to go around to the churches on a salary? Come on. Someone get innovative here.

I swear, before these guys die and/or drop on the talent scale, someone needs to cut through all of the crap, get every living former member together and shoot a big Gaither type video. Petra has been excluded from the other Gaither type Jesus music videos, for whatever reason.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:38 am

rexreed wrote:
Mountain Man wrote:No offense, but I really don't think you guys have any idea what you're talking about. No dynamics? If anything, that Rez cut lacks dynamics because everything is compressed to sound loud and "in your face" instead of allowing the music to have a natural ebb and flow. I think that would be even more evident if you analyzed the waveforms. The Rez cut would look like a solid bar while the Petra cut would show a series of peaks and valleys in the waveform indicating a greater dynamic range, so exactly the opposite of what you're asserting.

It is clear to me that there is nothing that can be said to explain to you that the early Petra albums do not sound as well produced as other albums from the same time by top artists. I guess they are wasting a lot of resources by re recording the songs thirty years later since they did a bang up job the first time. :lol: BTW- even though JS Petra is compared to Def Leppard a lot- the quality is lacking their too.
AGREED!
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:44 am

brent wrote:IMNSHO, they are wasting their time recording anything, unless they get some major money behind them. People do not know about CP by and large, and there needs to be more demand. But then again, Coldplay had 3 MILLION Spotify plays from a recent album and received a payment of £3000....whoopty doo! The people with the money need to make sure that people do not buy it on-line, where royalties are seldom paid, and only range from $.0013 to $.0002 per song played. CP, and John Schlitt, needs to be EVENT based, and these guys eventually need to forget about recording material to sell, and just consider it an advertising element, where the CD is a 35 minute infomercial. People place no value on recordings anymore. Audio with Video and is just as unprofitable. EVENTS are going to yield them more pocket change.

When will denominations get smart, adopt bands and artists into their missions programs, and sponsor them to go around to the churches on a salary? Come on. Someone get innovative here.

I swear, before these guys die and/or drop on the talent scale, someone needs to cut through all of the crap, get every living former member together and shoot a big Gaither type video. Petra has been excluded from the other Gaither type Jesus music videos, for whatever reason.
The last paragraph is something they should have done long ago like instead of Farewell. It's the 40th anniversary and this would be a great time especially market/business wise to do something like this.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:10 am

I'm not offended and I may not know the technical side of the process, but my ears tell me there is a huge difference especially for the Journey/Petra combo from above.
Compared to the Journey sound the Petra sound is very tinty with a lack of punch and fullness. On the Petra clip you can hear the cymbals vibrate when the snare is hit which IMO shows a lack of attention to detail which might have something to do with time restrictions. The bass drum sounds very thin and lacks the overall punch it needs to say hey this is a rock album. I've always felt like the JDB era albums always lacked the professional quality of their secular counterparts, and now when you put them side by side I hear it even more so.
Now with all this said I've always had Petra on my list as my favorite artist of all time, but I feel it has mostly to do with their message and lyrical content and that is what makes them so special to me. If for some reason I had never followed God as a Christian I most likely would have Petra way down on the list as artist I follow, and there is only 4 Petra albums I would put up against any artist as being on par production quality wise WUC, PP2, DT, & JAH
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:34 pm

rexreed wrote:I guess they are wasting a lot of resources by re recording the songs thirty years later since they did a bang up job the first time.
They did do a bang-up job the first time. That's not why they're rerecording them. They're doing it because production techniques have changed over the years, and they wanted a more modern sound. They've also changed as singers and musicians, so part of the goal, I think, was to establish how they sound now so that people wouldn't go to a Classic Petra concert expecting them to sound like they used to.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:36 pm

executioner wrote:I may not know the technical side of the process, but my ears tell me there is a huge difference especially for the Journey/Petra combo from above.
Compared to the Journey sound the Petra sound is very tinty with a lack of punch and fullness. On the Petra clip you can hear the cymbals vibrate when the snare is hit which IMO shows a lack of attention to detail which might have something to do with time restrictions. The bass drum sounds very thin and lacks the overall punch it needs to say hey this is a rock album. I've always felt like the JDB era albums always lacked the professional quality of their secular counterparts, and now when you put them side by side I hear it even more so.
Part of what you're hearing is the fact that Journey used gobs of reverb on those old albums. That's what gives it the "fuller" sound you're referring to. Again you point out something that is a stylistic choice and not a matter of overall production quality.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:42 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
executioner wrote:I may not know the technical side of the process, but my ears tell me there is a huge difference especially for the Journey/Petra combo from above.
Part of what you're hearing is the fact that Journey used gobs of reverb on those old albums. That's what gives it the "fuller" sound you're referring to. Again you point out something that is a stylistic choice and not a matter of overall production quality.
We will just have to agree to disagree.
0 x

LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1993

Post by LivingRock » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:18 pm

brent wrote: I swear, before these guys die and/or drop on the talent scale, someone needs to cut through all of the crap, get every living former member together and shoot a big Gaither type video. Petra has been excluded from the other Gaither type Jesus music videos, for whatever reason.
OMGoodness YES!!!!! Petra Homecoming!
0 x
"Pethead" is not a title. It's a way of life.

http://pathofthecarpenter.blogspot.ca/

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:39 pm

executioner wrote:
Mountain Man wrote:
What's there to disagree with? I'm stating facts.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:54 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
executioner wrote:
Mountain Man wrote:
What's there to disagree with? I'm stating facts.
No there are no facts here just opinions; Your opinion is that the Petra albums(81-85) are as professionally equal to the secular counterparts of the day and my opinion is they are not and IMO even a below a level to where some CCM artists like Rez, Amy Grant, MWS, and maybe others were.
This doesn't make either of us right or wrong, its just our opinions differ. You also have to realize the budget for the secular artist was vast superior compared to Petra, so its really dumb to compare the two.
0 x