Three Groups Of Petra Fans

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
PetfanInCt
Pethead
Pethead

Three Groups Of Petra Fans

Post by PetfanInCt » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:27 pm

Through my travels on the internet I've learned something about Petra. As I see it there are 3 groups of fans..

Some like the Volz era exclusively. Some like the Schlitt era exclusivley. Then there are fans who like both eras. I myself like both eras.

What is everyones opinion on what Petra's signature song is..Like for Dc-talk its Jesus Freak. For Stryper its To Hell With The Devil.. Whats Petras do they have one or more than one.

In Christ
Rich
0 x
Thinking if I could see I would believe, then somebody said Believe and you will see.

Metallinostheos
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Metallinostheos » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:48 pm

I don't think Petra has just one song. I think for many of the Volz era fans it would be More Power To Ya. To the Schlitt era fans it is probably Beyond Belief. That's just a rough guess and probably everyone here has their own opinion, but if you look at what they were known for in their respective era's, that's probably what it is.

I think you also missed a section of fans. Myself, I like the pre-Volz almost the best. The Petra and CAJU are now 2 of my favorite albums. Bob just shreds on some of the songs.
0 x
Solo Deo Gloria

Jeff

spottacus
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by spottacus » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:41 pm

I'm one of the other other Petra fans; I enjoy all their albums except the ones where Bob was absent.
0 x
www.myspace.com/fisticmystic

9ersfan
Pethead
Pethead

Me?

Post by 9ersfan » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:10 pm

I'm a fan of the Schlitt era. I like the other stuff, but I think it's like a totally different band.

I also agree that Beyond Belief is their signature song for the Schlitt era. Either that or No Doubt... but I like BB better, so that's what I'm picking! :D :)

GO RED SOX!!!
0 x

Jerry
Pethead
Pethead

Sam or Dave

Post by Jerry » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:38 pm

Van Hagar without a doubt.
0 x

daffy
Pethead
Pethead

Post by daffy » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:41 pm

I like them all, but have sort-of moved away from regular listening since Double Take. I have them all, just to complete the set. But somehow the newer ones just don't do it for me. I guess that my music tastes have changed slightly.

Now if they had the Creed (the band) sound...that would be something.
0 x
"I'm a duck, D-U-K, duck, loaded with talent." - Daffy

SamScales
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by SamScales » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:04 am

Well, when I first heard Petra it was with Volz, then John started and I really loved his vocals too. So, I'm kinda an in between fan, but I lean more towards the Schlitt era, because, well I've been a longer Petra/Schlitt fan than I have a Petra/Volz fan....
0 x

bleedinghero
Pethead
Pethead

petra fan period

Post by bleedinghero » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:28 am

petra has been around for a long time and it's no surprise that during the band's evolution there are have emerged three sets of fans.

but as for me im a fan of petra, period.

it's never struck me that a certain era was better sounding/more inspirational than another. the band itself - or perhaps in some ways the eventual concept of petra - has been a source of encouragement and delight ever since i got into petra's music.

i began with BB and kind of went backwards/forwards from there. from schlitt to volz to what we now have today, ive been through all the line up changes, the heartbreak of it all, the discovery of new music that came along with change, the ups and downs, the awards, the derision - and i love the band as much as i did when i first heard the scowling intro of armed and dangerous.

in my opinion the most impressive line-up was between On Fire and Wake Up Call, the schlitt, hartman, cates, lawry, weaver era. i have fond memories of listening to the music they produced back then. but just because they were the perfect line-up doesnt mean they produced the best ever petra music.

who can dispute the magnitude of the band's earlier tunes? the wired-out futurism of beat the system, the unearthly power of not of this world, the dark and provocative judas kiss? these are unparalleled anthems that stand the test of time and certainly set the "then-petra" miles apart from the "now-petra".

by the same token the entire beyond belief album could well lay claim to being the most powerful and cohesive body of work petra has ever recorded. it's my personal favorite. im sure many of you will agree and disagree.

i guess what im trying to say is while i think it's intriguing that "three sets" of petra fans are happily roaming about enjoying different era's of petra's work, i couldnt care less. i totally understand of course. and yes, i'd probably be lumped into a certain fan set if say john schlitt left petra. i just wouldnt be able to cling on if that happened and would certainly say "i loved petra before the new singer came on board" if pressed for an answer to this thread's question.

as for a signature song? that IS hard. again, i dont think it's possible given the diversity of the band and how long they've been around. im not even sure of the signature album being BB. it's certainly my fave album. but as someone also observed earlier fans might be just as adamant that MPTY is the best album. dont expect anything definitive.

i dont belong to any set. i love petra, have always loved them and always will.

maybe thats a set in itself? the all-around-petra-fan set?

dan
Petra 1[/i]
0 x

reoracer
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by reoracer » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:05 pm

What Dan said...

I'd probably fit best with the Schlitt era fans, since that is what I knew first, but there are awesome tunes in all eras.

Signature tunes would easily be Pre-Volz: Backslidin' Blues, Volz: More Power To Ya, Schlitt: Beyond Belief, and who knows what we will get in the future?

I tend not to fit in anywhere as it is, so why should I fit into any one group of Petra fans? :)

Jen
0 x
Jen Savage-DeGroff

http://www.facebook.com/reoracer

Metallinostheos
Pethead
Pethead

Boogety Boo

Post by Metallinostheos » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:46 pm

That's a great song Jen (Backslidin' Blues). There is some good fret-work there.
0 x
Solo Deo Gloria

Jeff

Bart Simpsom
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Bart Simpsom » Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:16 pm

I really like the both era, but i prefer the Johns era a little.
Here in Brazil the songs that was and still are very popular are It's finished, beyond believe, Love, No Doubt and dance.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:28 pm

I started listening to Petra towards the end of the Volz era, and I've seen Petra with John in concert more, so I sort of lean towards John. But I like things about all of Petra's eras.
0 x

Petrapraise
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Petrapraise » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:42 pm

I started in the Volz era and loved everysong. I was disappointed when he quit and it took a little while to get used to the fact there was a different lead singer. But then I bought Back to The Street just to see what I was missing and loved it. Now I love both eras.
0 x
[b]PLEASE VISIT:[/b] [url]https://www.facebook.com/Petrapraise/[/url]
Friend 'PETRAPRAISE' at Facebook.

seichu kaisho
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Signature songs

Post by seichu kaisho » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:14 pm

Audio Adrenaline: "Big House" or "Underdog"
Newsboys: "Shine" or "Take Me to Your Leader"
U2: "Where The Streets Have No Name"
Def Leppard: "Pour Some Sugar On Me"
Van Halen: probably "Jump" - I have only heard VH's radio hits
Skillet: probably "Alien Youth"
0 x
[i]shokai chusei!![/i]

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1984

Post by LexingtonPethead » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:49 pm

In order for me to decide on a signature song or songs, I have to consider three criteria:

1. The lead singer
2. The decade
3. The producers

With so much variance, I can only pick signature songs from clusters of albums that I think resemble each other. These clusters are in line with how my three criteria have changed through the years.

Here are the clusters as I see them:

1. Petra and Come and Join Us
2. Washes Whiter Than
3. Never Say Die through Beat The System/CITAS
4. Back To The Street through Beyond Belief
5. Unseen Power through No Doubt
6. Petra Praise II through Double Take - I cluster these together perhaps because these are virtually the only Petra CDs I do not own and haven't really heard yet.
7. Revival and Jekyll & Hyde - mainly because Petra started rocking once again with Revival, but since Petra is continuing the J&H rock style, I will likely cluster J&H going forward due to the rock similarities with the next CD.

Now for me within these clusters I can find what I consider to be signature songs. It's just very difficult to do otherwise because there are so many sound variations that have changed throughout the years.

And I have trouble deciding which is my favorite. It seems that my favorite is whatever CD I happen to be listening to at the time.
0 x