petra going to retire?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:58 am

The age thing is crap. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW OLD MICHAEL W SMITH IS? He is sticking around. Amy Grant is old.

I think that it is no more than demand. And why is that? It isn't that Petra hasn't adapted, because they were ahead of the trend, sometimes alienating the hardcore fanbase that is sometimes stuck in a genre vaccum (I am there too, baby!)

If the boys were purdy I think that it would be an easier sell. Again, if you can find really old pics of MWS with his 70's cotton ball hair, airplane wing collared shirts, etc, you will see someone that has done a better job of keeping up with the times visually.

Overseas Petra is still in demand. Heck, all rock is. I think that in the US, people are driven visually, which is a shame. That is a form of lust if you ask me. Only wanting to listen to CHRISTIAN music from people with looks they desire? Wow! Time for people to check themselves.

But it is par for the course. Satan is active in the CCM biz. Look at the description of the Prince of Tyre in Ezekial 28. That is Satan that God is talking to there. God describes Lucifer, how he was and how he is now. Satan will always be at work causing strife among people in the areas of money and music. It's true in churches, it true in the CCM biz.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:41 am

With the one exception of Petra(at their peak), my favorite "Christian" bands have pretty much always been irrelevant to CCM. I say this not with the arrogance of someone proud that no one has heard of my favorite bands, (I'm sure you all have) but Petra doesn't have mass US appeal.

Absolute truth in a post-modern time is hard to stomach, unless you ascribe to said truth.

From what I'm hearing about more and more CCM bands (rumors, nothing printed as yet)...absolutes are not in their consciousness.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:28 am

The age thing is crap. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW OLD MICHAEL W SMITH IS? He is sticking around. Amy Grant is old.......Again, if you can find really old pics of MWS with his 70's cotton ball hair, airplane wing collared shirts, etc, you will see someone that has done a better job of keeping up with the times visually.
I agree... to like or not like an artist because of their age or visual presentation is stupid. But visuals are all part of the game called marketing, and this too is part of the ccm scene, as well as every scene imaginable that's around you.

One big difference between Smith/Grant and Petra is the genre.

THEY are in the pop market; Petra is obviously rock.

For whatever reason, the rock scene seems to demand youth moreso than the pop scene. Why is that? Because rock is more physically demanding (based on speed of music & on-stage presentation, not artistry)? Because when you say "rock band," you automatically think of people jamming and wildly jumping around on stage, or a group of kids in their garage, practicing to all hours of the night? I don't know.

There seems to be a difference in the expected age of those playing different genres.

For example, it's a bit unusual to see classical jazz players in their teens or early 20s, but you see (and expect to see) older jazz performers. When I think of opera, I think of older people again. When I hear a blues band, my mind thinks "older men," not young women.

Who was that young crooner that everyone was comparing to Frank Sinatra a few years ago? He became very popular very fast. Why was that? Because he had such a great voice - or because he was a young guy singing an old style?

Right or wrong, typecasting ages with genres is the way the mind thinks, probably because in some genres the majority of players ARE younger or older. Of course there are many exceptions to that, but on an average - you expect to see certain ages playing certain styles.

When you see exceptions to that rule, people either really embrace that person/group as being unique and worthy of respect - OR they think that the person/group ought not to be playing that style, simply because their image doesn't fit the norm.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:41 am

Hey, Amy is only a year older than I am, she's not old. LOL.

As long as they're selling CDs and bringing in the cash, it doesn't really matter how old they are. And as long as selling CDs and bringing in the money take priority over everything else, that will probably be the case.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

i

Post by executioner » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:19 am

Shell is right! The only thing that matters is the money. Aerosmith, The Rolling Stone, Paul MaCartny, & Bon Jovi are still out there touring and making some new music, because they make a fortune off the touring. Jon Bon Jovi has been quoted as saying he could care less if he sold another CD, just as long as you keep coming to the shows.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:37 am

I think eventually the Christian market will wake up to the fact that a lot of the "new" rock stinks and come back to more older, classic artists. Just as in the secular market. John's contemporaries in the secular market still draw large crowds even if they are unable to get a record deal or much label support. Whether or not this will happen in time to help Petra, I can't say.

Personally, I think either as a group or individually, their ministry will need to change. I have a hard time believing that God would just set them aside. I thought about this situation yesterday when I read Psalm 71, especially the following verses:

9 Do not cast me off in the time of old age; Do not forsake me when my strength fails. 10 For my enemies speak against me; 14 But I will hope continually, And will praise You yet more and more. 15 My mouth shall tell of Your righteousness And Your salvation all the day, For I do not know their limits. 16 I will go in the strength of the Lord God; I will make mention of Your righteousness, of Yours only. 17 O God, You have taught me from my youth; And to this day I declare Your wondrous works. 18 Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, do not forsake me, Until I declare Your strength to this generation, Your power to everyone who is to come. (NKJ)
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:46 am

IF Petra quits, I think that I will hire the band minus Bob, add my guitar players and have PDC tour Europe.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:20 pm

Personally, I think either as a group or individually, their ministry will need to change. I have a hard time believing that God would just set them aside.
I'm sure He won't! The Lord does a great job of recycling! Look at Peter (Mr. Denial), Paul (Mr. Christian Hunter), Jonah (Mr. Run-Away), Moses (Mr. Egyptian Murderer).... the list goes on and on.

I have NO doubt that the Lord will continue to use these guys in some capacity... it may or may not be in a public way that everyone is used to, though. And that's the part that will take some getting used to.

Bridget, I love those passages... I found those a few weeks ago, and they really spoke to me about John's situation. I told him to take a look at those verses.... especially vs. 18. He's not going to be put out to pasture yet.
0 x

lucianotaz
Pethead
Pethead

European Label

Post by lucianotaz » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:39 pm

Unfornutelly, the CCM today is a tragedy. It�s only a deal with music of very low quality ! The US secular market is not very different.

Petra has a lot of fans in other countries. I don�t know how, but Petra could sign with a european label, they would have a better audience and they would not worry with the US pattern.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:22 pm

Hi Luci! It's good to "see" you again!

A European label... that's an interesting concept. I wonder what the logistics of that would be.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:31 pm

Many people based here in the US only release Euro records. It is common. The label is not really a big deal. The kicker is good distribution. They have distribution now. What they need to do is tour over there. I don't mean a couple of shows. I mean a full-time tour. That is the hard part of the deal.

Touring in Europe is more expensive, time consuming, etc because of the geographical limitations, etc. It is also alot harder on a person than touring in the US.

Consider CD's like Double Take. As big of a flop as it was to the hardcore US fan, it still sold 3:1 over US sales in foreign markets.
0 x

Historymaker
Pethead
Pethead

Euro record label...

Post by Historymaker » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:07 pm

That's probably one of the reason that my favorite band Delirious has the popularity it enjoys both stateside and abroad. The primary label is Furious? records, based in the UK and owned by Delirious. For stateside distribution, music is manufactured and marketed by Sparrow and distributed by Chordant (EMI).

However, for the most part they are shunned by the CCM industry and I was not too surprised when I heard from an industry elitist that the reason why they are so relatively ignored is because stateside CCM has no stake in them, and furthermore, the success of Delirious without the help of CCM has caused quite a bit of bitterness within GMA circles. It was Delirious that was making quality, ORIGINAL praise and worship long before it was the industry cash cow that it is today. CCM didn't discover them, sign them, cover them, etc. YET, Delirious has managed to sidestep the entire industry and become very successful... with CCM's only foot in the door a stateside distribution deal with Sparrow and EMI which in my understanding is at best gratiuitous. If you'll notice, the CCM market has attributed the modern praise and worship movement to the likes of 'artists' such as Sonicflood, Jeff Deyo, Lincoln Brewster, and Chris Tomlin. Yeah... you WISH!

Moreover, Fierce? Distribution (also based in the UK, and also owned by Delirious) is growing at a pretty nice clip and now is beginning to service the United States with Delirious products. Just a matter of time before they are able to snip the last and probably only tie they ever had with our stateside Christian music hierarchy. The exclusively Fierce? available "Audio Lessonover" record sold WAY better than the doctored, GMA suit pleasing counterpart "Touch".

Then again, when I first heard Delirious, I wasn't surprised that CCM didn't pick them up simply because of the lyrics and depth of the music. No bubble gum, no cheese, no 'let's live our lives in carefree Christian oblivion'... This was deep stuff. Impassioned, spontaneous, and chasing the Spirit wherever He might lead with reckless abandonment.

I will always feel like in my personal growth as a Christian, Petra was invaluable as far as helping to lay a strong foundation of truth in my teen years. When I was ready to start dealing with maybe more mature or even darker aspects and themes of Christianity, as well as a deeper intimacy with Jesus, Delirious and The Violet Burning picked up perfectly where Petra left off.
0 x

ctwomn
Pethead
Pethead

:)

Post by ctwomn » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:07 pm

Look at Abraham and Sarah.....now there is an example of how God can redeem the time! Abraham laughed at the idea that he was going be the father of many nations. God was not finished w/ them! He is not finished here either!

I really hope that John and Bob do not become weary! I know that they are human and that it is so easy to do. I think this is where we come in! We can really pray for this situation. I feel like there is going to be a change or a breakthrough...very soon! Maybe this is the reason that this has become such a large discussion....maybe the Holy Spirit is tugging on us right now. Maybe we need to start fasting or just taking 5 minutes each day to pray for Petra again. We need to be praying that they would have a clear and direct understanding of what to do from here.
0 x
http://www.guidetopetra.com
http://www.johnschlitt.net
http://www.petratulsa.org

epdc
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake Up Call
Pethead since: 1998

look guys

Post by epdc » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:11 pm

i don`t care if they become indie or they don`t make more cd`s (knocking wood)or ANYTHING , as long they keep touring so we can be bless and other people can be bless !!!!
0 x
...He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing...
Zephaniah 3:17

I love this verse!!!!!!

Facebook account: Elo palacios

epdc
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake Up Call
Pethead since: 1998

look guys

Post by epdc » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:11 pm

i don`t care if they become indie or they don`t make more cd`s (knocking wood)or ANYTHING , as long they keep touring so we can be bless and other people can be bless !!!!
0 x
...He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing...
Zephaniah 3:17

I love this verse!!!!!!

Facebook account: Elo palacios