After Petra who?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
kochers811
Pethead
Pethead

After Petra who?

Post by kochers811 » Thu May 26, 2005 12:26 pm

Who will you listen to after Petra the most?
0 x

SkyCaptain
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by SkyCaptain » Thu May 26, 2005 1:11 pm

I'm pretty excited about the upcoming Stryper and Guardian records. Kutless has gotten my attention too, but I haven't bought any of their albums yet. I want to see if they have any staying power.
0 x

Petrafan4life79
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Petrafan4life79 » Thu May 26, 2005 1:11 pm

Like my husband said, "You'll find someone to listen to", but I know Petra will more than likely remain my top favorite. I pretty much just listen to Christian radio and I know I have a few 'more favorite' artists than others.

Over time I'm sure I'll find someone I like almost as much as Petra, but I haven't found one yet. Any suggestions?
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Thu May 26, 2005 1:25 pm

Check out Kainos if you want to hear a good rock band. :wink:
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya

Post by Jonathan » Thu May 26, 2005 6:34 pm

Good topic!

The last 5 cds I have bought brand new this year:

John Davis' eponymous new album (former lead singer of secular power pop band Superdrag) is pretty good. It's kind of an "I just converted, now here's an album of what I believe" kind of thing, but those kinds help me refocus, and get back to basics, and remember what life was like before Christ had what little control I have already given Him.

Collective Soul's Youth.

U2's H2DAAB.

The Choir's O How the Mighty Have Fallen...so amazing, so understated, beautiful.

Still Remains, my friend TJ's band...hardcore with heart, melody, and harmony. Those into Petra's early years won't like it. But it's not metal that will make you want to slash your wrists and bleed all over your sister's flower garden in a cemetary somewhere. Not a "Cookie Monster" band...

I always have my eye on anything being done by Terry Scott Taylor.

For Petrafans...check out Common Children...blue collar rock n' roll without a lot of pretense.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Thu May 26, 2005 8:24 pm

Artists that are currently in heavy rotation:

Soundgarden
Poor Old Lu
Five Iron Frenzy
Skillet
Project 86
Avril Lavigne
Blink 182
Our Lady Peace

Bands I need to give a stronger listen to:

Demon Hunter
Audioslave
Pillar
Falling Up
Cranberries
Jane's Addiction
Alice In Chains
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Thu May 26, 2005 8:26 pm

I'm also excited about the new Guardian album.

Of course I'll still listen to Petra, and also a bunch of dead guys. :D All my favorites are dead, with the exception of Petra!
Fletcher Henderson-dead
Duke Ellington-dead
Charley Patton-dead
Beatles-half dead
and so on.

The only modern band I can think of off the top of my head that I've been listening to lately is Young Heart Attack. There will be others. I'm just soo into Henderson's proto-swing era right now.
0 x

GLF78
Pethead
Pethead

After Petra Who?

Post by GLF78 » Thu May 26, 2005 9:59 pm

I will also throw in a plug for Kutless. Their first CD is good - sounds a lot like Creed...maybe a little too much like Creed. Their second CD, "Sea of Faces" is better, I think. They seem to have settled in to their own style. Hard rock, good vocals, catchy hooks, good song writing. I think most Petra fans would like it. They just came out with a praise album that I have not heard yet. They get some radio play so most of you have probably heard a song or two.

I will agree with Jonathon on Collective Soul. Not a Christian band (although early on it was debated). I have every CD they have done. "Youth" was released independently recently and seems to have done well. All their CD's are consistantly good.

I also have the newest Pillar CD that is pretty good.

Here in Minneapolis the Christian radio station has become fairly popular but is too pop for me. I wish I had more access to the harder Christian music. There was a station here for awhile that played more of that, but suddenly turned to all spanish. No comprende'.

Gary
0 x

PetraFan007
Pethead
Pethead

Post by PetraFan007 » Thu May 26, 2005 10:19 pm

Tourniquet
Stryper
Mortification
PFR/Joel Hanson/Patrick Andrew
Whitecross
Rob Rock
0 x
E-mail me at [img]http://petrafan007.100megs15.com/nospam.jpg[/img]

Susannah
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Susannah » Thu May 26, 2005 10:31 pm

For me, definitely Stryper and Guardian. I am sooo excited about their resurrections...it's my only consolation about Petra retiring. "Reborn" is such a fitting title for the new Stryper album (which, by the way, is AWESOME! :wink: ).
0 x
It's His delight to give you your desire; it's His desire to set your life on fire!

SolidRockStrength
Pethead
Pethead

Post by SolidRockStrength » Fri May 27, 2005 2:06 am

I have to say, I don't know. Maybe Micheal Reagan and Janet Parschall.
For those who don't kow those are conservative christian radio hosts.

As far as music, I think Disciple is cool, but not as cool as Petra. I guess I will listen to Audio Adrenaline's new album Until My Heart Caves In when it comes out this summer. I am just still kind of sad Petra is retiring. Probably a lot more Petra and maybe a NEW Live PETRA CD or a John Schlitt solo album. My wife is in too a lot of country, the clean stuff, so I get to hear that, but I have to say its still PETRA for me. I find myself not wanting to give up on the greatest band of all time PETRA! They(the band) is like that old friend I don't ever want to stop listening and hearing from, so it will probably take me awhile to really listen to some other artist and then only maybe. That may read a little weird, but I am gonna really be bothered when W the Pres leaves office. 5 great years with 3 more to go. So with Petra and 15 years well this ain't any easy friend to say goodbye too.

God Bless PETRA and George W Bush!
0 x
Shalom Aleikhem!

Habakkuk 3:19
The ELOHIM ADONAI is my Strength!

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Fri May 27, 2005 6:18 am

I'll still be listening to Petra. They represent over 30 years of musical history and offer a diverse cross-section of rock-n-roll, everything from guitar driven classic rock to hard edged metal. No matter what mood I'm in, there's always a Petra album that will appeal to me.
0 x

Jonathan
#1 Album: More Power To Ya

Post by Jonathan » Fri May 27, 2005 9:03 am

That's true. We still have all their albums to listen to. I can't wait to see what happens next.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

Michael
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Collective Soul

Post by Michael » Fri May 27, 2005 10:15 am

I was a little disappointed in the Dosage album from Collective Soul. Seems like there was a mild profanity in one song, and a pretty blatant profanity in the cover art. You know how sometimes something can just take the air out of the balloon for you? That was kind of the way it was... "Oh man, you guys used to stay clear of this baloney. What's THIS all about?" So I haven't heard the new CD you guys are talking about, but I like all of their music from the other CDs.
0 x
[url]http://www.GuideToPetra.com[/url] - [url]http://www.ScriptureMenu.com[/url]

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/TulsaMJ/?chartstyle=BasicPetraZone2][img]http://imagegen.last.fm/BasicPetraZone2/recenttracks/TulsaMJ.gif[/img][/url]

Bill F
Pethead
Pethead

Za, da, The

Post by Bill F » Sat May 28, 2005 8:04 pm

Shell wrote:Check out Kainos if you want to hear a good rock band. :wink:
Hey Shell. Shouldn't it be "The" Kainos?................Sorry :roll:
0 x