Amazing Grace!

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
BForm
Pethead
Pethead

Amazing Grace!

Post by BForm » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:53 pm

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that the live version of Amazing Grace is a ton better than the Revival version. Granted, I'm one of Revival's worsts critics. But I just think the guitar sound is so much better on the live version. I was totally board with the Revival version, much prefering the hymn. However, the live version is one of my favorites on the CD. And the ending.....Go Paul and Bob.
0 x
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. - John Piper

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:33 pm

No, you aren't alone. While I like Revival, the song Amazing Grace was just OK for me, but live it really kicks! And it is probably the one song on Farewell that sounds better than I remember it sounding at the concerts.
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

js3971
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by js3971 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:46 pm

I overall liked the Revival album, and I did like Amazing Grace. But you're right, it absolutely rocks on the CD. In Irving, I thought it rocked too, and that's before hearing the CD. They really rocked it at both.
0 x

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:02 am

Maybe if there is a single pushed for this CD it should be this song. Of course, it does rock, so it might offend those soccer moms. :roll:
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

spottacus
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by spottacus » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:19 pm

I've been thinking the best songs for singles would be Amazing Grace or Right Place. They both sound awesome.
0 x
www.myspace.com/fisticmystic

charl
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by charl » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:33 pm

Amazing Grace does sound good-though I didn't mind the album version either (I think it was probably the best one on the album-though I am usually too hard on praise albums in general).

Actually the song that surprised me by how much better it sounds is Love (in the acoustic medley). I remember thinking it sounded good at the concert too-and I had always disliked that song. I found the keyboards and the BGV's and all of that noise annoying-so I guess I shouldn't be surprised at how much improved it is without them.
0 x
[url=http://www.picturetrail.com/char000]CIP[/url] -slowly but steadily coming along... [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0011.gif[/img]

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Re

Post by pmal » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:01 am

They could have released "For Annie" and others from the acoustical set but they aren't long enough by themselves. I really like the way they did the drums during the chorus of "For Annie", even if unintentional, it just flows and sounds wonderful, like a song made for the radio ...

Phillip
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

ErioL
Pethead
Pethead

Post by ErioL » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:40 pm

Amazing Grace was good on the live cd, but I gotta say, Dance is my favorite on there. Those breaks they stick in that rumbling riff in the beginning make the song!
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:37 pm

Yeah, Dance is a good one, especially with John belting out "Does anybody feel like daaannnccciiinnnnggg!" just before the opening guitar riff kicks in. I also really like Beyond Belief and He Came, He Saw, He Conqured.
0 x

bennile
Pethead
Pethead

Post by bennile » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:09 pm

The beste two songs are Amazing Grace and he came he saw he conquered, they really sound awesome. These two songs can make a bad day better!
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:56 pm

Amazing Grace is great on farewell I have listened to that song more than any other on this album
0 x

js3971
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by js3971 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:15 pm

Amazing Grace is great on this album. I too listen to it over and over, along with Right Place. I have always liked that song, and thought if the rest of the that No Doubt rocked the way that one does, that album could have been one of their best ever. I still like the album overall, but the last few songs are a bit mellow. No Doubt, the song is still a great song, mellow or not though.
0 x