Any mistakes in the Live CD take??

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Anton
Pethead
Pethead

Any mistakes in the Live CD take??

Post by Anton » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:04 am

Just wondering as the Farewell CD was produced so quickly were there any slight mistakes etc make by the band on the night and were these fixed quickly in post-production. Or is the CD a true "as-is" performance?
0 x

Edward
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Edward » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:00 am

There are two annoying crossfades. Other than that, it sounds pretty good. I agree that a couple of tunes were too quick, cause Bob was rushing to keep up. But that is what happens when you play live sometimes. The energy, emotion, etc move you to play fast. The disc makes us happy.
0 x

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:22 am

As previously mentioned, Bob ended up missing a concert date in Canada because he had been in Atlanta doing some post production work and got held up by weather. Also, John had to go back to the W the next evening and re-sing some stuff. So, yes, I'd say there was some post-production work, but from my memory, I'd say not much. Having seen the show 6 times, it sounds very true to me.

Since I am not technical in any aspect of music production, I have no idea what this might mean, but after the taping, I overheard Jim Cooper telling someone that he'd been having problems because everytime John stepped away from the mike, he was overloaded with drums. (Paul was located really close behind John on the stage.) So, my guess is that might be what John had to fix. As for Bob, no idea.

The only thing that feels unnatural on the whole CD is after Beyond Belief when John says, "Ladies and gentlemen, ...John Lawry. What a joy." The reason this sounds wrong is that at every other concert, he says, "Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Bob Hartman," and Bob does his solo. It sounds like it was spliced together.
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

Edward
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Edward » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:35 am

The issue that JC was speaking of had to do with compressing the vocals. Vocals are often compressed, minimizing the dynamic range. This means that all of Johns vocals sound about the same volume, loud or soft. When recording digitally, this is very important so that they do not have any "overs" resulting in clipping the convertors and then nasty distortion.

What happens is when John moves away, quits singing, etc, all of the ambient stage noise (drums, etc) gets amplified to the same target level that John's vocals are.
0 x

Enosh
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Who Are these new guys? AndBand! The Original! Ask for it by name.

Post by Enosh » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:57 am

I did notice one drum fill I believe was fixed. I remember it being just a hair off at the show. But dead on on the CD. I also miss the rest of John Lawry's solo. Hopefully we'll get it on the DVD. I also don't remember John singing harmony with Greg X. on The coloring song. Could just be me though.
0 x
Facebook.com/enoshfee
redcapeproductions.com
www.wakingvegas.com
Facebook.com/wakingvegas

AndBand! The Original!
Ask for it by name.
http://picasaweb.google.com/johnwschlitt/July42003PekinILJohnSoloAndAndband#5081842292151695650

tomtsc
Pethead
Pethead

Post by tomtsc » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:45 pm

I'll throw a twist in on the subject. Though I am one who has not got the cd yet. Right now bills and providing for family are more important than getting the cd right now...i can wait. Here is the twist...for those who was at the recording...do you remember before the show started they had us do some 30 second clapping at different levels? Wonder what hey actually did with those? Did they mix those in to the recording to make it sound as if they were recording it live or did they actually record it live. I am not saying that is what they did, but it makes you wonder when everybody is saying the crowd noise is not there like the way we were going crazy sometimes. Just something to think about.
0 x

Edward
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Edward » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:23 pm

Sure they use that stuff. It is common practice for live albums double, triple, etc crowd tracks, so that the venue/crowd sounds bigger. They also use it to fill holes, etc.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:38 pm

Bridget, that should be "Pauly." :D Sorry, couldn't resist. :P
0 x

calicowriter
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by calicowriter » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:02 pm

Bridget, that should be "Pauly." Sorry, couldn't resist.
Hehehe Shell :lol:

It may however, distress you all to know that some of the guys on the tour call him that too (like the guys in Bread of Stone).
0 x
Bridget

"whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Phillipians 4:8

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:19 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: And he lets them get away with it?

I thought only us girls did that sort of thing. He seems like a very sweet guy. :)
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1991

errors galore on Farewell

Post by rexreed » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:55 pm

I noticed the liner notes are chock full of errors from spelling to punctuation. What,s most annoying are the commas. I love the album though!
0 x

Anton
Pethead
Pethead

dont care

Post by Anton » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:08 am

Dont care for the liner notes as long as the album sufficiently rocks !!!
0 x

js3971
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by js3971 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:26 am

There was a post where someone thought that it was a bit confusing on the CD when John Lawry is introduced, and then you hear Greg Volz talking. Did John say anything at the concert when he was introduced? Did he say anything else? If so, what did he say. Although this isn't really a mistake as it an editing thing, but it is a bit odd for Greg to start talking immediately on the CD after John is introduced.
0 x