Jekyll & Hyde Comparisons

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:59 pm

This thread started out about why people dismiss Petra and listen to other bands, and 12 Stones was brought up as one of the bands that people choose over Petra. My Smasing Pumpkins example had nothing to do with genre, but it was an example of a band that made albums that had a very full sound.

12 Stones is NOT a Creed clone (Creed is a clone of Pearl Jam, but harder), and they are in the rock genre, so I don't know why you keep dismissing all of my comparisons. Obviously, no one sounds exactly like Petra, but Petra, 12 Stones, Creed, are all the same genre. I have not heard the entire 12 Stones album, like I said, but from what I've heard, it's catchier and has a fuller sound.

I am just saying that I am a Petra fan who would rather listen to something like 12 Stones than I would to JAH. There are lots of people who don't like the raw sound, and that is why they would pick 12 Stones over Petra. I am in no way dissing Petra, and if that's what they wanted to do, that's fine, but personally, and I know a lot of people agree with me, when I listen to a studio album, I want a full sound, even if effects are added in. If I want to listen to something "live" sounding, I will listen to a live album or go to a concert.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

ErioL
Pethead
Pethead

Post by ErioL » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:50 am

I heard the 12 Stones cd at summer camp and I can honestly say that I could be 12 Stones guitar player now. Can't say the same about Petra. This is true with many bands now...There is no complexity. To me, 12 Stones is trash because they don't have their own sound. They aren't really original. Of course I haven't heard them in a while so I can't say for sure, but it seems everytime someone says there is this great new band out, lo and behold I find out that they really aren't that good, and that they've stolen other peoples sounds as well! Thats my 2 cents.
0 x

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:42 am

I'm not lauding 12 Stones around as some great band, and I never said their guitar player was better than Bob. I was saying that, personally, I enjoy the fuller sound and catchy hooks of 12 Stones debut album better than I like JAH.

12 Stones is far from a great band at this point. It'll take a couple more albums to see if they grow any musically. I would like to know who you think they "borrowed" their sound from, though.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

I

Post by executioner » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:33 pm

I compared them to Creed because they play alot of the same chords, they sound somewhat like them, and they are also very shallow when it comes to their lyrics. The guitar playing now days is very easy to play and very simple. If these guitar players listen to JAH they would be lost and probably in awe.
JAH is hook after hook, the whole album is that way. 12stones just doesn't seem to flow. Even Cmcentral rates them as a Creed clone.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

separateunion
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by separateunion » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:51 pm

I'll agree that many of the bands that are coming out right now play very simple guitar riffs and solos. However, compared to the stuff I listen to, Bob's guitar playing is nothing special. I've heard much better, even in the Christian Music scene.

As far as 12 Stones lyrics being shallow, that is another matter of opinion.
0 x
"Daylight, save me..."

ErioL
Pethead
Pethead

Post by ErioL » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:20 pm

All those bands sound the same...12 Stones, Kutless, and countless other clone bands (in my opinion) that aren't very original. As far as lyrics go, I can't judge. Your right though, cause Bob's playing isn't "spectacular" compared to say Phil Keaggy, Dave Bainbridge (of Iona) and I'm sure other folks as well. Peace-j
0 x