What if??? - The 2010 Classic Petra reunion 84', 85' lineup

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
petraman
Pethead
Pethead

Re: What if??? - The 2010 Classic Petra reunion 84', 85' lineup

Post by petraman » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:46 pm

Looking forward to seeing Mark Kelly back on stage.
0 x
WhiteHeart Rox 4 CHRIST!

JMBJR72
Pethead
Pethead

Post by JMBJR72 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:37 pm

I personally would like to hear the classic Petra. I never saw Greg in concert so it will be nice to see.
0 x

petraman
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petraman » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:43 pm

Same here.
0 x
WhiteHeart Rox 4 CHRIST!

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:58 am

Hi Dave! Good to see you here again....

You wrote:
That brings up another point. Petra should be considered Christian Rock Royalty.
I totally agree!

By splitting this band into “Classic” and “Farewell” versions they have in reality brought it down to the level of an REO Speedwagon, or Styx, or Journey (great bands in their own right).
The band was never meant to split into two parts... the whole 'Farewell Reunion' thing started when Hills Alive asked me specificalaly about bringing the FAREWELL PETRA out to S.Dakota for their own festival anniversary. The guys said yes - and from there word got around and more dates were added.

But it was never set up to be a full-blown TOUR, with production and all. I suppose it COULD have been, IF - as Hudson said:
I think the difference in number of shows is perhaps because people are more involved in publicizing and working in the Classic Tour and not in Farewell lineup.
Maybe if Ferewell lineup had all this effort, new site on the Internet only about the tour, the number could increase significantly.
EXACTLY. There is no funding behind the Farewell lineup.

We were gearing up to get the word out about John and Petra being available for fests and one-offs via John's publicist....

THEN an email goes around about a 'classic Petra reunion tour.'

Like Brent said - the driving force behind this classic line-up is Greg. Someone must have deep pockets to put into a tour... if rumors of all these dates are to be believed. Who said there are 40 dates booked for the classic tour? Shawn, are these BOOKED dates, or interest-only? Without a source being named and no schedules posted on the internet, I can only count this as rumor and not fact at this point.
0 x

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:25 am

brent wrote:This is going to happen. I was not told to spill beans, but I wasn't told not to either. Over 40 shows with full production which has been secured. The reason for the change in management had to do with their old tour manager returning to manage and book the thing. He has the contacts and did not have to work hard to get these shows booked, because it was the version of Petra that people want at this time. There is a rekindled excitement with a new mission, bringing life to the bones.

Spread the word that the boys are back and they will be back in a big way.

Oh, and there is to be a CD with rerecorded old tunes and new tunes as well.

This is where I got that info about the 40 shows.
0 x

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:40 am

I am going to make some people upset by saying this, but I think more people want to see Greg on stage than they do John, just for the fact that a lot of people never had a chance to see Greg live on stage, and once they hear about the Classic tour they will pack out the concerts.
0 x

JMBJR72
Pethead
Pethead

Post by JMBJR72 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:17 am

IF you the dream team together you a lot of concerts SO I dont feel it has anything to do with who is behind the Mic. Sue has John been asked to join this tour?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:44 am

HudsonPethead wrote:I think the difference in number of shows is perhaps because people are more involved in publicizing and working in the Classic Tour and not in Farewell lineup.
Maybe if Ferewell lineup had all this effort, new site on the Internet only about the tour, the number could increase significantly.

I am very happy with this classic tour!
But for me Petra Classic should be with John on vocals.

This Classic lineup is perfect, It's really a dream.
But I would replace Greg by John.
Nope. One man has done it all. It is a difference in who is involved with the Classic line-up and who has the contacts with people that used to book Petra shows or have an interest with the Classic version.

What I continue top see here is that people do not get it. There is the inability to believe that the Classic version is in demand more than the current version. Everything is cyclical. There is a time for all things to come back around. It is time for these players and their music to come back around and that is verified by the band coming together and the buyers putting money where their mouth is. It is not about which version was better.

In the grand scheme of things, this Classic version was in a more hostile environment, playing music that was a bit out there. The Schlitt version started with John jumping on the surf board from a helicopter while it was on the top of the wave. Eventually that wave pushed the board to shore. The guys tried swimming it back out with different people and eventually just two guys, but the timing of the waves was not on their side. This Classic version is catching the right wave. Sweet Comfort, DeGarmo and Key and a few others are also suiting up, waxing down their boards and getting ready to catch the same wave.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:52 am

JMBJR72 wrote:IF you the dream team together you a lot of concerts SO I dont feel it has anything to do with who is behind the Mic. Sue has John been asked to join this tour?
I can tell you. No. Why would they? John will not play with Louie. If John would play with Louie, they could invite Louie to the next Petra reunion show instead of the new drummer, and then you would have what you want. John will not play with the dream team configuration and Greg will.

Again, Greg Volz is the driving force behind this one. He made the calls and got everyone together. This Classic Petra tour is to celebrate their music, their ministry with those members and to attract people that once listened to them.

We have Two Guys doing shows, Petra doing shows, Petra Classic doing shows....pick the one you like and enjoy it. Now is the ideal time to be a Petra fan. We have the most choices. The ironic thing is this. We die-hard fans have our own ideas of how things ought to be based on our biased preferences. We can be detached from reality at times, arguing over what is better in our opinions. Many of the people here who will be anti-Greg are people that cannot/do not go to shows. Let's let the market demand by paying customers dictate what works and what doesn't.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:57 am

shawnpfan2010 wrote:I am going to make some people upset by saying this, but I think more people want to see Greg on stage than they do John, just for the fact that a lot of people never had a chance to see Greg live on stage, and once they hear about the Classic tour they will pack out the concerts.
Yep. People can see John anytime. They can see him with Petra, solo or with Bob. This is just a little make-up time for Greg.
0 x

petraman
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petraman » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:14 am

Can't wait to see the Greg Volz Petra!
0 x
WhiteHeart Rox 4 CHRIST!

JMBJR72
Pethead
Pethead

Post by JMBJR72 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:38 pm

Does anyone know when they will post dates for Classic Petra?
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:39 pm

Sue has John been asked to join this tour?
No, he hasn't. Since Greg is the one behind this all, there would be no reason for him to ask John to join in and share the stage.

I think more people want to see Greg on stage than they do John, just for the fact that a lot of people never had a chance to see Greg live on stage
Could very well be... I would assume those who became fans during John's tenure and never heard the 'old' Petra material live would go to the show simply out of curiosity, if nothing else.

As Brent said, Greg is capitalizing on the 'retro wave.' If his latest albums were not selling well (and I don't know if they did or didn't) - I'm sure that recapturing a little of the 'glory days' will help pay the bills.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:57 pm

well life isn't cheap, gotta recoup the money somehow.
true..
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:16 am

Ok, to start, with all due respect to a servant of the Lord, I think the pastor is wrong in complaining about the "Classic Petra" not including John.

If he is a musician like me, we know that before John came in the Petra sound was a very vintage sound. You can tell just by listening to those records that sound quite dated, which is not a bad thing. It makes them "Classic". Also Bob used a Gibson Les Paul for most of the recordings before John came making the records and the guitar sound more vintage, more "classic". Then towards the end of the Greg era and then on he switched to super Strats usually associated with a more modern sound, hence "The Schllit Era Sound". Now if you listen to most of the Schllitt era records they do not sound dated except for electronic fake drums sound in TMW and UP. I still think tehy are quite relevant and could still have airplay along with the current music scene, OK I Love John too!

Also we have continued to listen and see live, on and off varied versions of the Schlitt era Petra even after "retirement", so it's never been gone. So the Greg era is now the one that deserves to be heard again. Still John could still tour with the other version, the more the merrier.

Finally, I sense that some people here think this is the Schllit Zone, when I thought I was at the Petra Zone. Don't you guys sense resentment if John is not included in an event or topic?

I think the comments on Greg's divorce are childish, inmature, and disrespectful to another Human Being that is still trying to serve the Lord and has given all of us so much joy and encouragement through his ministry. Please do not forget that there are members of this board that Love both John and Greg.

We should be happy and grateful that God is allowing us the enjoy Petra this year in manny ways!

God bless.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.