New Classic Petra Update as of 7-23-10

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

New Classic Petra Update as of 7-23-10

Post by fcollazo » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:02 pm

Check out the new details on the DVD taping happening on Oct 2nd in Tennessee, and plans to post the new master tracks on ClassicPetra.com by mid August for our review and opinions before they are officially released for sale!

God bless and enjoy!
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

guitardude68
Pethead
Pethead

Re: New Classic Petra Update as of 7-23-10

Post by guitardude68 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:31 am

Thank you for the heads up!!!! Very exciting stuff. I just left a post on the Classic site. God bless you and may we all go hard after Christ this weekend and spread His Word to others.
0 x

zak89
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Petra Praise 2
Pethead since: 2002

Post by zak89 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:24 pm

I'm so glad they're keeping the blog updated - it's exciting to see what's going on!

I say this with hesitation, but I really don't like TBN. I'm glad they're doing this for Petra, but as a Christian network, I don't have a lot of trust in they're discernment. They seem to jump onto every bandwagon as it comes along; forgivable, but if they are in a position of such influence they should be going the extra mile to "test all things, hold fast what is good".

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox. I'm still happy that Classic Petra is getting a fair shake.
0 x

mbrew5000
Pethead
Pethead

Post by mbrew5000 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:40 pm

zak89 wrote:I'm so glad they're keeping the blog updated - it's exciting to see what's going on!

I say this with hesitation, but I really don't like TBN. I'm glad they're doing this for Petra, but as a Christian network, I don't have a lot of trust in they're discernment. They seem to jump onto every bandwagon as it comes along; forgivable, but if they are in a position of such influence they should be going the extra mile to "test all things, hold fast what is good".

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox. I'm still happy that Classic Petra is getting a fair shake.

I'm with you about TBN. The problem is I have never seen a Christian network thats not just like TBN. Its almost like there's only 1 kind of Christianity that sells on TV.
0 x
mbrew5000

mbrew5000
Pethead
Pethead

Post by mbrew5000 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:42 pm

In fairness I should follow up with the fact that TBN has always worked with Petra and been an outlet for Petra to do ministry.
0 x
mbrew5000

guitardude68
Pethead
Pethead

Post by guitardude68 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:10 pm

I agree about TBN. It's so sad that they "represent" Christianity on everyone's TV. Too many crooks on there for my taste. So sad. We can all pray for their wisdom re. what they put on their network. We can pray for the false teachers and crooks that are currently being broadcast. We can pray that they repent and love God with all of their hearts and spread the Gospel in a way that would be pleasing to the Lord. There is so much worldliness, greed and materialism on there that it causes me to not turn it on at all. For that matter...We janked our cable last year.....At some point you have to decide what's good and what's best. Reading God's Word, Fellowshipping with Jesus, being there for our family, friends and others is way more important than TV. I'll enjoy the DVD though!!!
0 x

zak89
Pethead
Pethead

Post by zak89 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:14 am

guitardude68 wrote:For that matter...We janked our cable last year.....At some point you have to decide what's good and what's best. Reading God's Word, Fellowshipping with Jesus, being there for our family, friends and others is way more important than TV. I'll enjoy the DVD though!!!
Amen to that, my friend. Haven't had a TV in our home since I was 8 or 9, and it hasn't hurt me yet (or so I'm told. ;) ). I couldn't agree more!
0 x

mbrew5000
Pethead
Pethead

Post by mbrew5000 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:33 am

Wow. I got rid of cable last year and thought I was doing well but you guys make me look like a slacker.
0 x
mbrew5000

zak89
Pethead
Pethead

Post by zak89 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:54 am

Better late than never. Especially now in the "new media" age, most of what was good on TV can be gotten through the internet, minus (thanks to AdBlocker) much of the bad.

Not that there's no bad on the internet (yeah right!), but at least you're in control.
0 x

guitardude68
Pethead
Pethead

Post by guitardude68 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:00 pm

Hey zak89...Is that your Bob Hartman guitar in that picture? How do you like it??
0 x

zak89
Pethead
Pethead

Post by zak89 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Heh, I wish it were mine. I got the photo from Bob's website. Right now he's not making any guitars (I don't blame him - right now I'm happy he's playing his own!), but when and if one becomes available, I'll be getting it. The pictured guitar ("The Worshipper") is supposed to be a light Telecaster style instrument, and it may well be the one I buy, but I'd really love to get on the the "Jekyll & Hyde" models like Bob played on the Farewell tour. We'll see.

I love guitars. Excuse me, I *really really like* guitars.
0 x

imc
Pethead
Pethead

Post by imc » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:14 am

mbrew5000 wrote:I'm with you about TBN. The problem is I have never seen a Christian network thats not just like TBN. Its almost like there's only 1 kind of Christianity that sells on TV.
That's very true, and I think there's a good reason for that which is the fundamental flaw in all "Christian" TV. TV is funded by advertising (and uniquely with Christian TV, donations). Both of these sources of funding require lots of eyeballs on their programs. This requires the content to be such that people come back again and again for more. It cultivates consumer Christians, armchair Christians. As long as their itching ears are being scratched, they will keep watching and keep donating. There is build in incentive to NOT challenge people, to NOT call sin sin, to NOT loose viewers by teaching people to get out their armchairs and into the world.

It doesn't surprise me that all Christian TV stations are like this, what would surprise me is if one could exist and stay funded that wasn't like this. Not that this bothers me, I can't really see any need for Christian TV even if it were good. I've no problem with Petra being on TBN though, it's just an outlet for their ministry and if it gets it to a wider audience that's fantastic.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:24 am

I have come down hard on The Blasphemy Network, because of who they are, how they handle money, how they have paid off people to keep the sex scandels and other stuff silent, and who they give a voice too. They are part of the problem with modern Christianity. In fact, they have helped propogate the WOF movement. They are demonic IMNSHO.
That said, the wealth of the wicked is laid up for the just. God can use anything. God used wicked people in the bible and he does now. God uses bad things for good daily.

I do not agree or relate to Greg X's theology. I am closer to Bob and maybe Louie in that department. But I am not listening to Petra for my daily bread. To me, it is all good, clean, entertainment and nothing more. If I treat it as anything else, I must scrutinize every song, delve into the lyrics and split hairs. I am not willing to invest that effort. It is what it is now. That is not to say that it was never. It was, but I was immature.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:19 am

What is GXV's theology?
0 x

zak89
Pethead
Pethead

Post by zak89 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:10 am

brent wrote:I have come down hard on The Blasphemy Network, because of who they are, how they handle money, how they have paid off people to keep the chess scandels and other stuff silent, and who they give a voice too. They are part of the problem with modern Christianity. In fact, they have helped propogate the WOF movement. They are demonic IMNSHO.
Well, I guess I don't need to say that Brent is pretty blunt in his analysis. :lol: Although TBH Brent, I agree completely with you (actually, having read these forums for a while now, I almost always agree with you! It must be your sig...).

It's a shame so few "Christians" recognize what's happening to them through "Christian entertainment". Where is discernment these days? I know a fellow who is convinced that sunny days are ahead of us as far as the church goes - his reason? "Look all the money Mel Gibson made off of the 'Passion' [of the Christ]?".

That said, I'm sure there are people who managed to find the Gospel through (certainly not *in*) movies like the Passion, and even questionable outlets like TBN; if God can use a donkey, I'm sure he can use them as well. But I fear that people like Gibson and the TBN crew will have their heads hanging awfully low at the Bema Seat (I only pray they get that far!).
What is GXV's theology?
I'm only guessing, but Volz seems to have been very influenced by Charismatic ideas, so he could have a lot of theological idiosyncrasies. 8) That doesn't ruin him IMO at all, but he could have any of lot of theological idiosyncrasies. I've always appreciated Bob's "anchor" quality theologically; I may not agree with all his positions (I don't know them all), but in his lyrics he was very stable (at least from NSD on).

I watched the video interview posted on the forums a while back (after the Classic Petra reunion was announced). It was nice to see Volz again, but he seemed to be taking just a little too much credit for the Christian Rock movement - I'm sure he (along with Petra) was a key figure, but I don't think he was first in the genre.
0 x