Is Louie restrained?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: Is Louie restrained?

Post by brent » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:28 pm

They at minimum used backing tracks synced to TC for video. This is evident when Louie gives a four count and then there is another four before the first note hits. John Lawry remixed the live tracks later and that is the live album audio. I don't know whether Greg lip synced or not. Sounds like it to me. It for sure sounds like there were other guitar tracks as well.

To the other people out there...This is all to common today. There are now more channels of backing tracks than channels of live musicians and bands. There is no way these people can dance and run around, while delivering perfect pitch vocals, without being winded and without wind turbulence in the microphones. When only two other band members sing, and they don't sound live the lead singer, and the lead singer's voice is singing three or four part harmonies...it's pretty obvious what is going on. Petra has played to clicks and tracks for a long time. CITAS has backing vocal tracks and other things. In the 90s, they carried a couple of Tascam MDMs for backing tracks. CP Live was no different.

As for band members not playing on their own records. This has been happening since the recording industry began. It especially happens in country music. There are a handful of players playing the majority of music on everyone's records. There are some exceptions. But, it is all about speed and having money. Sometimes it is about talent. Consider Stryper. Brad Cobb played bass on Stryper records because Tim Gains just couldn't cut it. You would be shocked how many artists do not play or even sing their own stuff on their records. Like I said, it started long, long ago.

in Louie's case, he said he wasn't getting paid to record, so why not sit out?
0 x

jmslick
Founding or Official Member of Petra
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1979

Post by jmslick » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:47 pm

Brent, that all makes sense now. In the TBN show, Greg is sprinting like an Olympian up and down the stage set, "singing"
perfectly all the way. I noticed that he sounded quite good for a 60+ old time doing all that running, but it didn't occur to me that he was using tracks. I only watched short segments of it on a cheap tablet with cheaper speakers, so didn't pay much attention to other factors such as extra guitars and vocals.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:08 pm

There are actually two versions of the Classic Petra "live" album. As I understand it, the first album was basically a karaoke session featuring live vocals sung to a track. After some criticism that the album sounded "canned", a second live album was released featuring more live instrumentation, and the previous release was essentially retired.

Of course now that I'm saying this, I can't find any documentation, but I remember there was a lengthy thread about it on these forums.

Edit: Here's the thread:

http://www.thepetrazone.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56636
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:36 pm

You are going too far there. Louie chose to be a hired gun, all the back to the Star Song days. He is the one member who held out when the band and Star Song developed an owner/share arrangement. Now, when it comes to writing, Louie had nothing to do with that. Publishing has nothing to do with how long people have been in the band. Don't demonize this process too much.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: Is Louie restrained? JS Read This?

Post by brent » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:01 am

http://guidetopetra.com/JDB/jdbpetra.htm

John, I don't know if you have seen this.
0 x

jmslick

Post by jmslick » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:09 am

brent wrote:You are going too far there. Louie chose to be a hired gun, all the back to the Star Song days. He is the one member who held out when the band and Star Song developed an owner/share arrangement. Now, when it comes to writing, Louie had nothing to do with that. Publishing has nothing to do with how long people have been in the band. Don't demonize this process too much.
Yeah, I realized that I had incomplete perspective. I thought I had deleted the post, but realized a few minutes later that it was not deleted.
0 x

jmslick

Post by jmslick » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:14 am

brent wrote:http://guidetopetra.com/JDB/jdbpetra.htm

John, I don't know if you have seen this.
Had not seen that. It was nice to read JDB's gracious explanation of the drummer topic.

However, I recall that the backwards voice joke was my idea; maybe I recall wrong:
JDB: "Mine. John Slick did the voice. I wrote the line. "What are you lookin' for the devil for when you ought to be lookin' for the LORD."
0 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Post by dihigo » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:07 pm

jmslick wrote:However, I recall that the backwards voice joke was my idea; maybe I recall wrong:
JDB: "Mine. John Slick did the voice. I wrote the line. "What are you lookin' for the devil for when you ought to be lookin' for the LORD."
Hmm. I guess I always assumed that was Bob's voice. I'll never forget when my buddy & I unscrewed my More Power to Ya cassette tape, reversed the spools, rewound the tape, and hit "Play." It was a stand-out moment in my adolescence. Ha! It is, in fact, my signature on this very website!
Last edited by dihigo on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

jmslick

Post by jmslick » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:54 pm

dihigo wrote:
jmslick wrote:However, I recall that the backwards voice joke was my idea; maybe I recall wrong:
Hmm. I guess I always assumed that was Bob's voice. I'll never forget when my buddy & I unscrewed my More Power to Ya cassette tape, reversed the spools, rewound the tape, and hit "Play." It was a stand-out moment in my adolescence. Ha! It is, in fact, my signature on this very website!
Pretty clever. You should'a been a roadie!
0 x

dihigo
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Back to the Rock
Pethead since: 1988

Post by dihigo » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:31 pm

Mountain Man wrote:There are actually two versions of the Classic Petra "live" album. As I understand it, the first album was basically a karaoke session featuring live vocals sung to a track. After some criticism that the album sounded "canned", a second live album was released featuring more live instrumentation, and the previous release was essentially retired.

Of course now that I'm saying this, I can't find any documentation, but I remember there was a lengthy thread about it on these forums.

Does anyone know if there's a place to order either one of these Classic Petra live albums anymore??? All of my searches keep coming up short.
Last edited by dihigo on Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
What are ya lookin' for the Devil for when ya oughta be lookin' for the Lord?

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:18 pm

dihigo wrote:Does anyone know if there's a place to order either one of these Classic Petra live albums anymore??? All of my searches keep coming up short.
They only did a few limited print runs, so they are permanently out of print now. They never got proper distribution. I don't recall seeing either of them on eBay. Did you check the official Petra store? It doesn't work for me, so I'm not sure if it's actually still up and running.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:48 pm

0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Post by pmal » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:53 pm

brent wrote:For anyone interested:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/class ... d531817551
The iTunes link is the one mentioned before that was more un-edited than the original, with noticeable mistakes in some of the notes. I think of it as more authentic if there's such a thing.

I actually wish they would release the whole show from the "No Ticket Needed" concert from the UK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5c6YwhMemI
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:31 pm

I used to have this supervisor, super nice guy, but it always slightly amused/irritated me how my ideas always seemed to become his ideas. I never wanted to call him out on it because he was just so darn nice all the time.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:34 pm

dihigo wrote:
Mountain Man wrote:There are actually two versions of the Classic Petra "live" album. As I understand it, the first album was basically a karaoke session featuring live vocals sung to a track. After some criticism that the album sounded "canned", a second live album was released featuring more live instrumentation, and the previous release was essentially retired.

Does anyone know if there's a place to order either one of these Classic Petra live albums anymore??? All of my searches keep coming up short.
Amazon, if you don't mind MP3 only. You're probably out of luck if you want a physical copy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087 ... 1_1&sr=8-1
0 x