Second Wind and Godpleaser are now up!

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
trodLAN
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: J&H
Pethead since: 1982

Re: Second Wind and Godpleaser are now up!

Post by trodLAN » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:38 am

Get a collection of all official released samples here:
http://www.petrafiles.com/files/BTTRPremaster.zip

Included in Zip-file are:
Adonai x2
Angel Of Light x2
Bema Seat x2
Clean x2
Grave Robber
More Power To Ya x2
Rose Colored Stained Glass Windows x2
Second Wind
Godpleaser

I did not add the old Grave robber track
0 x
https://www.youtube.com/@trodland

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:13 pm

Thanks p-freak
Thanks Trod
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:33 pm

Jan wrote:I love Second Wind and here is the way I like it:

ENERGY!!! The audio is bad, but sounds like it was great live! Was anyone here at that concert? I guess most of you were still in diapers in 1988, but a few were old enough. :mrgreen: Wish I had been there!
Even though its low quality you tell they were on that night. John did a great job on that song. Did you notice on how the sped it up? I like it!!
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:35 pm

Even though its low quality you tell they were on that night. John did a great job on that song. Did you notice on how the sped it up? I like it!!
Yeah, they really had their "Second Wind" that night 8)
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:16 pm

The only songs of the John era that I could have pictured Greg singing are the songs from Back to the Street, because the sound was really not all that different from Beat the System. I mean if you do away BTS's techno synth stuff.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:28 pm

executioner wrote:Never a fan of Godpleaser always felt like it was a filler song. 2nd wind is one of my all time favs, I'm not sure if I like this version or not. Waiting for the finished product.
I disagree, Godpleaser has always been one of my all time favorite songs a highlight of Petra’s ministry. I’ve never cared for Second Wind.
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:02 pm

Preacherman777 wrote:The only songs of the John era that I could have pictured Greg singing are the songs from Back to the Street, because the sound was really not all that different from Beat the System. I mean if you do away BTS's techno synth stuff.
Maybe Bob had written some of the songs before Greg X Volz left. Or maybe he was just used to write for him. I think you can notice that John Schlitt had to press hard to get to those high tones sometimes.
0 x

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:09 pm

zman7720000 wrote:
executioner wrote:Never a fan of Godpleaser always felt like it was a filler song. 2nd wind is one of my all time favs, I'm not sure if I like this version or not. Waiting for the finished product.
I disagree, Godpleaser has always been one of my all time favorite songs a highlight of Petra’s ministry. I’ve never cared for Second Wind.
I think "Bema Seat" is the song that is a bit surprising that's it's included. It is not one of my favorites. It's too repetitive.
0 x

loengard
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1981

Post by loengard » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:06 pm

Boray wrote:
Preacherman777 wrote:The only songs of the John era that I could have pictured Greg singing are the songs from Back to the Street, because the sound was really not all that different from Beat the System. I mean if you do away BTS's techno synth stuff.
Maybe Bob had written some of the songs before Greg X Volz left. Or maybe he was just used to write for him. I think you can notice that John Schlitt had to press hard to get to those high tones sometimes.

That's always been my thought -- I think some of the Back to the Street stuff was certainly written around the same time as BTS... especially the title track, with the following line:

It's not easy to beat the system, it's not easy to face the heat
But somebody's gotta take this message back to the street

Clearly harking back to BTS. I would guess it was originally slated for the BTS album but cut and then used as the title track of the next album, so I wouldn't be surprised if this stuff wasn't origianlly written with Greg in mind.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:44 pm

Well being that the Beat the System Tour was well into 1985. Songs could have been written and then the idea was made to bring John in when Greg went off solo. Could they have been talking about a new album before Greg left?
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Boray wrote:
BTTS was written as the follow up to NOTW before Greg left.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:26 pm

loengard wrote:
Boray wrote:

That's always been my thought -- I think some of the Back to the Street stuff was certainly written around the same time as BTS... especially the title track, with the following line:

It's not easy to beat the system, it's not easy to face the heat
But somebody's gotta take this message back to the street

Clearly harking back to BTS. I would guess it was originally slated for the BTS album but cut and then used as the title track of the next album, so I wouldn't be surprised if this stuff wasn't origianlly written with Greg in mind.
BTTS was actually recorded without vocals in August-September 1985. There was never any intention of Greg singing on BTTS. Bob and Greg had already agreed to split ways and CITAS was actually done in October of 1985 just so Petra could fulfill their contract with J. David Brown.
John came and actually tried out for the part and sang Altar Ego for his first song. I believe John put his vocals to all the tracks in late 1985 maybe early 1986.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

ErioL
Pethead
Pethead

Post by ErioL » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:36 pm

separateunion wrote:
Boray wrote:Am I the only person who don't like autotuned vocals???
I haven't noticed any.
The new version of Adonai is unfortunately laced with...Which I have to believe is intentional.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:10 am

BTTS was actually recorded without vocals in August-September 1985. There was never any intention of Greg singing on BTTS. Bob and Greg had already agreed to split ways and CITAS was actually done in October of 1985 just so Petra could fulfill their contract with J. David Brown.
John came and actually tried out for the part and sang Altar Ego for his first song. I believe John put his vocals to all the tracks in late 1985 maybe early 1986.
Well, if that's when it was recorded, the songs must have been crafted well before that, so while it may never have been envisioned that Greg would sing when it was recorded, who knows what was in Bob's head when the songs were actually written. Unless one knows for sure that he already knew Greg would be leaving when he wrote it, the statement seems speculative.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:24 am

So why did they not play any songs from BTTS on the Norway 1986 concert?
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.