Petra in Argentina next week

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Re: Petra in Argentina next week

Post by rexreed » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:21 am

I've only seen Petra in South America via the videos posted on youtube. From what I can tell the folks down there ate it up- so why should they tempt fate and book Classic Petra? Does anyone know if the Classic Petra albums were hits in Argentina? That sort of thing matters a lot more than humble opinions. I just don't see them booking a band unless there is demand for it, clearly they loved the Farewell lineup a couple years back. I do agree with the idea mentioned previously that they should change up the set list a bit.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:53 am

Bakes, I'm NOT talking about John or Greg at all. I'm responding to a comment by fcollazo who feels Classic P. should be doing the Argentina date instead of Petra.

Fillipe, yes, you stated your opinion - and I gave mine. No one is talking about how they can or can't give an opinion. You stated yours, and I responded with mine. Simple, just as I stated in the 'welcome' message.

As far as the set list -- the band has not been playing the same set for the past 8 years - because the band has not been PLAYING as a band since 2005. One reunion in 2007, and now in 2010, with nothing in between.

You also have to realize that it takes a lot more than just picking a few new songs to perform - -you have to get together and PRACTICE. It's a bit hard to do when you have a few dates and are not actively playing. In addition, one member has a full-time job, one lives 2-3 hours away, and one lives in another hemisphere. That's the problem with building a whole new set.
In this case maybe Bob is to blame because he could have said, "well the touring Petra should now be Classic Petra", but he decided to play KAREOKE again. I guess I have to live with it.
Karaoke? oh, come on. Now that's a slam to Greg and all the work and time HE has spent as part of Petra. If Paul were able to be there - would THAT make it Petra?

So are you saying that if an offer came in to me for Petra (with John, Greg, Cristian/Paul) -- Bob should have said "You all stay home. I'm taking Classic P. (with the guys from 1985) out instead?"
0 x

blayze5150
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1985

Post by blayze5150 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:55 am

Man, I so wish I could go!!!

I love both the Classic lineup and the farewell lineup. I think John, Christian (I think that's the new drummers name, if I'm wrong please correct me!), and Greg should start something together with another guitarist if Bob is unavailable. The farewell lineup rocked! If it goes on as something other than Petra, that would be an added bonus. Imagine that lineup working with someone like Tony Palacios or Lincoln Brewster. How about Oz Fox, Michael Cutting, Rex Carroll, David Zaffiro... (given, these guys aren't Bob Hartman, but who is? There is only one Bob Hartman!) . That would give us two forces to be reconned with on the Christian rock front. If Sammy Hagar, Michael Anthony, Satch and that guy from the RHCP can do it, why can't John Schlitt and Greg Bailey? Seriously, someone else has got to see this!
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:08 am

Sue, I mean that since 2003, pretty much the set list has not changed.

Yes, if Paul would be in, I would feel better about it, but I know he is RHHs drummer nite.

Again, a new set list would also make it exciting.

Just remember, I feel like this mostly because I have been consuming all things Petra since 1987, and I just want new things from Petra.

Or you know what?, maybe it would be better if they commit to stay together a make new music, and offially end the retirement, even if it means a new CD every 5 years like AC/DC does. Because this thing about saying they are retired but then doing Karaoke, just takes away credibility imho.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:58 am

John Schlitt - Via Twitter wrote:Flying to Argentina tomorrow w/Petra! Amazing how the day before disappears with catching up on all the odds & ends that need to be done.
Those who are going to this, please take photos and maybe some video and post it. I wish I could go to this. Maybe Bob will one day release the 2007 and the 2010 DVDs in a special package.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:48 am

bakersfieldpethead wrote:
John Schlitt - Via Twitter wrote:Flying to Argentina tomorrow w/Petra! Amazing how the day before disappears with catching up on all the odds & ends that need to be done.
Those who are going to this, please take photos and maybe some video and post it. I wish I could go to this. Maybe Bob will one day release the 2007 and the 2010 DVDs in a special package.
I don't think that Bob will ever release the 2007 show. The crowd was amazing, but for some reason John wasn't in good shape. The first 20 minutes of the show are great, but after that he really has problems with his voice. Possibly the heat or humidity. The show just isn't good enough to release. The DVD performance is available on youtube by the way, so you can have a look/listen there.
0 x

Masada1
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Masada1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:08 am

I think its great that John, Bob, Greg and Christian are able to get out and still play dates. It just goes to show that Petra (in any version!) is a unique musical experience and a unique ministry amongst today's artists! In my own little dream world, I would love to see a festival (preferrably within driving distance of Indianapolis!) that would bring in both Classic Petra and the Farewell line-up. Talk about the best of both worlds!! :D

And just a little sidebar comment. I think its great that we all can have our own opinions. However, I think as brothers and sisters in Christ it also behooves us to have a little sensitivity. Petra is a band that has had a major impact on many of our lives, and in Sue's case, is something that she has put alot of work into. Sometimes the way opinions get expressed in the Zone can feel like a personal attack, even when none was intended. At the very least, it can lead to people getting defensive on behalf of someone else. I think all of us, myself included, would do well to keep in mind Romans 14:19 "Therefore let us pursue the things which make for peace and the things by which one may edify another." Just my slightly more than two cents worth!
0 x
"Back to the Rock" Classic Petra Fan Forum http://www.classicpetrafan.рroboards.com/

r_karlsson22
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire
Pethead since: 1996

Post by r_karlsson22 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:09 am

I don't think that Bob will ever release the 2007 show. The crowd was amazing, but for some reason John wasn't in good shape. The first 20 minutes of the show are great, but after that he really has problems with his voice. Possibly the heat or humidity. The show just isn't good enough to release. The DVD performance is available on youtube by the way, so you can have a look/listen there.
Between 2005 and 2007 John's voice was a bit up and down. But I tell you, when I met him in summer 2009 his voice was as good as in the mid 90s. So I'm really looking forward to see videos and listen from the show in Argentina! Just make sure to let John get the sleep he needs before the concert! ;)
0 x
https://twitter.com/RickardWidgren
http://AboutRickard.com
Instagram: rickardwidgren

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:38 am

The Farewell lineup is HUGE in South America!! I know of someone who has lived in Brazil for over 20 years and every time Petra comes to South America he goes and sees the show. When Petra comes he said this is all what is talked about on radio for days on end leading up to the show. Bringing in the Farewell lineup is the right thing to do and NO TO THEM ITS NOT KARAOKE!!

As of right now Classic Petra is a non factor in that part of the world; not too many know anything about Classic Petra and in that case why would a promoter try and bring them in especially when he would be counting his losses even before the show.
For right now I think Classic Petra's Management really needs to focus on getting some dates here in the USA for the spring, but their demands are going to have to change in order to get a big size tour going. As of right now it looks like their going to be doing only a few dates a month and too be honest thats not going to cut it.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

jm.atd
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Petra en Alabanza
Pethead since: 1990

Post by jm.atd » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:56 am

p-freak wrote:I don't think that Bob will ever release the 2007 show. The crowd was amazing, but for some reason John wasn't in good shape. The first 20 minutes of the show are great, but after that he really has problems with his voice. Possibly the heat or humidity. The show just isn't good enough to release. The DVD performance is available on youtube by the way, so you can have a look/listen there.
Pieter, I am agree whit you respect John`s voice in Argentina.. the same happened when they came in 2005... and in that oportunity was worst... :|
I hope this weekend we could enjoy him in the higgest point....

They will be in Mendoza city on Friday and Buenos Aires on Saturday... mi pics ans shots will be share on Sunday for my friends (all of you).... :)

We will be rocking on the rock!
bleesings...
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:54 am

For those about to rock in Argentina, we salute you.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:25 pm

Hehehehe... amen to that, Jonathan!

I have people who will be getting photos to me, both of their arrival, backstage, etc. So no worries there. But jm.atd - I'd love to see and post yours too.

John's voice is in excellent shape; he's in good shape physically as well, so these two performances should be much better than in 2007. I talked to him this morning, and he's confident that these will be a couple of great shows.

You're right, Masada... and using the words 'karaoke' a number of times to describe a full band just grates on me, and it certainly seems like an intentional slam on purpose - not to me, but to John and Bob who have put their whole life work into Petra.
The Farewell lineup is HUGE in South America!!
Very true...! I'm always getting fan requests for the band to come back...

They're flying out at 2 p.m. today and traveling all night, so please keep the guys in prayer.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:03 pm

I think we need to be respectful of this. Petra is as Bob does and if Bob wants to have two versions of Petra going, so be it. God is certainly big enough to make good use of both of them. This version of Petra is the one they know and want to see in South America, so why on earth should Bob give them something else? Classic Petra is obviously doing fine and this is no threat to them. Michael has said they have offers coming in from all over the world, so I suspect they will be busy enough. The simple fact is, Petra as fronted by John is a very significant part of Petra's legacy and probably the only Petra they really know in some places, so for me, I'm very happy that this version of Petra can still be viable as well. The more Petra the better and I love both versions and now we get both versions. What's to complain about?
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

blayze5150
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1985

Post by blayze5150 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:53 pm

I'm all for a two pronged Petra attack! Let's get a new CD from the Farewell line-up, too! I'd love to hear that J&H follow-up that never happened. I knowm that's not the plan at the moment, but it would be great, right? You can never have too much Petra.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:40 pm

I know while on the JAH tour Greg B. said that they had new songs for the follow up to JAH, and he was really excited about getting in the studio with the guys. Bob had also made mention on stage that they were really happy with the way the public has been with JAH and had a follow up already in the works. So we know there are songs or at least ideas floating around in Bob's workshop for more songs.

I would really like for them to complete the three albums that they had talked about with Classic Petra first though and then do something with John and others like with what they have done with Classic Petra. Could you imagine what the albums TMW! OF! BB and others would sound like updated?
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!