Check out IH...Props to Petra

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Check out IH...Props to Petra

Post by brent » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:28 pm

0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: Check out IH...Props to Petra

Post by executioner » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:55 pm

The title is there but the page is blank.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:10 pm

I see the whole thing on Safari, Firefox and Chrome.
0 x

Jan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Jan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:51 pm

Interesting that he says BTTS is their best album. That's ok with me, I really like BTTS, just never heard anyone say it was their best.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:02 pm

I think Doug has always kind of had a soft spot in his heart for Petra. Even when Petra was slogging through the GF/DT days, they at least got copy. But I'm with you, Jan, I don't fully understand his pick of Back to the Street. It does have it's share of great hooks, but I will have to go back and listen to it. I didn't pay much attention to the lyrical content of it either, or how it works as an album as a whole, rather than a set of tracks in arbitrary order.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

randy_rc
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS

Post by randy_rc » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:13 am

You can see the finished list here: http://www.hmmagazine.com/2010/07/top-1 ... -all-time/

I was disappointed to see that the only petra album that ranked was BTTS (@ #67)... And I don't really see why they chose BTTS (out of all the awesome petra albums).
It really never impressed me as much as the other Schlitt-era albums... And I guess I never thought of it as more than a transition album...
0 x

Jonathan
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:22 pm

Love the list. I sort of don't know how to feel that I own 65 of those albums. Good, I guess?

Big ups for recognizing Andy Hunter, Prayer Chain, Red Sea, Violet Burning, LSU, SF59, VOL.

Points against for not including Poor Old Lu's Sin, Grammatrain's Flying, Audio A's Bloom. Just my opinion. That's ok, the late 90s were tough.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:14 pm

I'm not the king I just sing...I'm just a fraction of a thing.

Yes, AA's Bloom was good stuff. Some other band, whose name escapes me, had a song out that sounded like it was trying to duplicate AA's sound and style.
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Post by pmal » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:53 pm

randy_rc wrote:You can see the finished list here: http://www.hmmagazine.com/2010/07/top-1 ... -all-time/

I was disappointed to see that the only petra album that ranked was BTTS (@ #67)... And I don't really see why they chose BTTS (out of all the awesome petra albums).
It really never impressed me as much as the other Schlitt-era albums... And I guess I never thought of it as more than a transition album...
Personally, I think the list they came up with is terrible. It's quite obvious to tell from the article that whoever came up with the list didn't actually listen to Christian Rock during the time that it aired. I'm starting to think that this is why you don't hear classic christian rock music on the radio anymore, people just don't know what they are talking about.
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

cndfogie
Pethead
Pethead

Post by cndfogie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:07 pm

Doug Van Pelt came up with the list and just to put it out there Doug is a cornerstone himself of the Christian Rock industry. It's one guy's opinion but THIS guy has been interviewing bands reviewing CD's for decades. Don't hate just because he put BTTS at #67. This list is compiled of discs that were put out when most of us were just babes. So take it in as a whole it's one guy's list of what he would deem the best. He has the street cred to put behind the list. Stay off his back.
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Post by pmal » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:42 am

I just find it difficult to believe the list presented as is. Just think about this sentence: "Back to the Street" is the only album from the entire Petra catalog to make the Top 100 Christian Rock albums of all time."
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:34 am

Yeah, I like DVP and HM Mag a lot, and have a lot of respect for most everything he does. But saying BTTS is the band's best work, never mind being one of the best 100 CDs in the history of the genre, significantly undercuts the credibility of the list. He'd have a better argument going with the self-titled album for historical reasons alone. There is literally nothing noteworthy about BTTS except that it's the debut album of the band's fourth lead singer.

OK, that's a little harsh, but the four albums that preceded it all blazed huge trails in making Christian music chartworthy, and the subsequent six albums are all pretty much universally considered to be better, never mind being among the biggest sellers in the industry's history at that time and winning Grammy Awards, to boot. BTTS is the weak link in a chain of 11 studio albums from Never Say Die to Wake Up Call. He had 10 other records to choose from over the 13-year period in which Petra was at its peak, and he chose the only one that has no argument for being one of the industry's best 100 albums at all.

Like I said, I can't trust a list that has such a glaring error on it.
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:19 am

http://greatestchristianalbums.wordpres ... ry-norman/

Not sure if Petra is even this list or how many albums it may comprise of I figured I'd post this link anyways. :D
0 x
The choice is life. Or the lie that comes from hell..

randy_rc
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS

Post by randy_rc » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:30 pm

Looks like Petra's squeezing in at #49 (out of 50) with "More Power to Ya"...

At least they actually picked a good album, but it belongs WAAYYYYY higher up on the list than 49. (in my opinion)
0 x

corolla1
Pethead
Pethead

Post by corolla1 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:00 am

I found it interesting that both Kansas and AD made the list.
0 x