auto tune

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

auto tune

Post by fcollazo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:35 pm

somebody here said the greg used auto tune on back to the rock. can somebody explain how does autotune work and and how it is supposed to sound like?
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Re: auto tune

Post by Boray » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:09 pm

Antares Autotune (or other similar effects/plugins by other manufacturers) is used in music production to correct the pitch of sour tones, or to change one vocal tone into another, or to create a special autotune-effect, or it's just used on routine by some sound engineers I guess. When used in a good way to correct sour tones, you should not be able to hear that it's used. When used in a bad way, you can hear that it sounds artificial or metallic or fake sort of. You can often hear that vibratos sounds really strange. I'm not sure if everyone knows what to listen for though. I hear this all over the Back to the Rock album. I don't think it's very well mixed/mastered either. It sounds a bit murky to me.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:28 pm

can you point to a specific example on any of the songs?
0 x

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Boray » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:11 pm

It comes in directly on the first vocals on the first song... At 3:12 I think it even tunes to the wrong note.

Greg X Volz is a great singer so I think it's a bit sad to destroy his voice with a computer. I guess they though the effect made it sound "modern"... but... well, everything modern isn't good.
0 x

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Boray » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:21 pm

Using an effect designed to make bad singers sound better, on a great singer feels like some kind of insult to the singer. That is probably why I don't like it. Sound wise it's probably just a matter of taste.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:50 pm

First, let me say that Autotune, Melodyne and others are great tools. They are not used to correct all of the time.

These applications allow me to completely change chords, change vibrato, create effects, tune, detune, etc. They are not for correction only. Many people say that they can hear the side effects of them. Maybe if drastically misused. It is easier to pick out the use of them, because productions get very perfect...too perfect. Vocals begin to sound unnatural, not just in perfect intonation, but also in the editing, etc.

The Autotune version is the most obvious. Autotune does mess with the phase of the music. Melodyne addresses the phase relationships of the notes and harmonics. It is far less obvious.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:05 pm

hey brent, can you hear this on the back ti to the rock album?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:24 pm

Yep.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:10 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYzv-AVi78E

there ya go- all you wanted to know about auto tune.
0 x

CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:40 am

I think Autotune is most obvious in "Second Wind," and I think it almost works as an intentional effort to make it sound more modern. Of course, I doubt that's what they did.

It's pretty subtle. When I first listened to the album, I didn't catch any obvious autotuning, but I've caught little glimmers of it in several songs, not that I could tell you which ones off the top of my head. "Second Wind" was the first one I noticed, on my second run-through of the album.
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:40 pm

that you tube video was hilarious, but gregs voice does not sound anything at all like the examples they put their from pop artists. if greg sounded like a robot I would be upset, but otherwise I think that back to the rock sounds incredible.
0 x

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Boray » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:20 pm

fcollazo wrote:but otherwise I think that back to the rock sounds incredible.
Then you don't have to think about it any more. I wish I could say the same, or maybe I don't. That kind of depends on if the album magically changed or if my ears got worse : wink :
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:02 am

Seems like if Greg hit a bad note in the studio then they could just have him do another take, so I'm assuming the Autotune was used for effect rather than correction.
0 x

Muleya
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of This World
Pethead since: 1982

Post by Muleya » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:20 am

I noticed this on Second Wind the very first time I listened to it, so I went back to listen more closely.

It's a little strange in that it's so subtle. You'd think if they were using it as a deliberate effect they'd use it more like Fee does on Promised Land.

On the other hand, however, like most of you I wouldn't think Greg would need it for actual pitch correction.

If it is indeed an effect, it can be used to any degree so chosen by the user, just like reverb, delay and so on...there is no "right" or "wrong" amount of effect level. The listener may or may not like it, but at that point it all becomes subjective.

For me, it doesn't ruin the song or the album, just leaves me scratching my head a little!
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:33 am

CatNamedManny wrote:I think Autotune is most obvious in "Second Wind," and I think it almost works as an intentional effort to make it sound more modern. Of course, I doubt that's what they did.
According Greg, that is the purpose of the production, to sound modern....edgier for their era.

Autotune!
0 x