Back to the rock live - out now on Amazon!

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Back to the rock live - out now on Amazon!

Post by Dan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:43 pm

From classic Petra blog:

Announcing Back To The Rock Live! The new live cd will be available for download on Itunes within 72 hours, and on all your other favorite download sites within a week! This is the audio recording from the TBN show. We are very excited about the quality of this work. We hope that you will be as well! Enjoy! And we look forward to your feedback!

The guys are currently on their way to Australia to perform at Easterfest and Strawberry Jam.

If the band was lip sync, can someone explain how this would be live?
0 x

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Back to the rock live

Post by adpetrafan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:13 pm

In the Radio interview I linked a few weeks back, they said they had just finished editing the sound. IMO, this would not be necessary if it was lip synched. In some videos I saw on YouTube, they are not lip synching. that whole thing sounds like a rumor based on someone's perception of what was going on during the taping. Until someone who was there, using all of the equipment can prove otherwise, I believe that the Live record is indeed a live recording.

I want this music, but I want a CD of it. I hope they didn't decide to skip that step becuase iTunes is a non-starter for me.
0 x

CatNamedManny
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
Pethead Wikipedia Warrior
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1996

Post by CatNamedManny » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:14 pm

Classic Petra has always maintained the band was not lip syncing, except in a few limited instances, after which Greg apparently went back and recorded new vocals so that they wouldn't be identical to the album. Likewise, we know the drumming was real (since Louie broke a drum and the sound difference was noticeable and immediate as soon as it happened), and I think they said they used the recorded album for the rhythm guitars when Bob had a solo.

Old myths die hard, I guess, unless there's a question about whether Michael is telling the truth on the blog...

From the comments section:
Greg has just been singing non-stop for 4 days (apx 25 hours). We didn’t want to ruin his voice, so we set up the tracks for him to fall back on, if needed. He seldom used the tracks though, and most of it was, in fact, live. Greg will sing live at all upcoming shows, and his live vocals will be on the DVD. Greg will go back and sing on any places where he chose to resort to tracks during the TBN shoot . We hate tracks just as much as you do.
And, a little further down:
There are two guitar parts on ‘Too Big’ on the album; rhythm and lead guitar. For the sake of the DVD having the complete ‘album sound’ we went ahead and had one tracked, and Bob played one live. Of course, the track was also recorded by Bob. But there’s only one of him, so…
And still further:
Sure, less than 5% was track, Greg had been singing for 8 hours a day for 3 days before show, so his voice was right on the edge. All our shows are live and the TBN video will be completely live, Greg did the track parts over again the next day.
0 x
- Paul

A little disoriented. Getting reoriented.

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adpetrafan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:39 pm

From Facebook a few minutes ago:

"Classic Petra: There will eventually be a physical cd, yes. :)"
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:16 pm

ok cool, I was under the the impression it was 90% lip sync, well that's cool... will have to get it when it comes out on a physical CD
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Post by pmal » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:44 pm

0 x
May the downforce be with you!

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System

Re: Back to the rock live - out now on Amazon!

Post by Boray » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:50 pm

Hmmm.... Even more autotune on this one...
0 x

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adpetrafan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:08 pm

Boray wrote:Hmmm.... Even more autotune on this one...
Seriously?

I just listed to every sample clip. I heard none.

I saw Greg here in town last summer. He sang with no band, no special equipment, and sounded almost exactly like that. I am baffled... First, it's all lip-synching, now it's auto-tuned... /sigh

Now that I heard samples of the songs, and with the prospect of gettign 25gb of free space and audio streaming with the purchase, I am thinking about buying the MP3s before the CD comes out. Go figure...
0 x

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System

Post by Boray » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:19 pm

Yes, seriously.

Amazon - At only $8.99 I though I would buy the album with my PayPal money... Searched their help and... they don't accept paypal. hmmm... And they want you to install a program to be able to download the album.. oh.. yuk!!!
0 x

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adpetrafan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:01 pm

Matthew RJ wrote:This might be my only chance to hear Classic Petra live.

I would have liked it more if it was different than the only album they've put out. Imagine what this would have been like if the live disc followed 3 studio albums? Medleys, a best of, intros ...
There will be a DVD of it too. And I suspect there will be more live CDs after the other CDs are made. =)
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:54 pm

First of all, I think the notion that the band was playing to tracks came from the CP website blog or someone talking to management and posting here. This is not uncommon. The tracks can be accompanied by SMPTE timecode, MIDI data, RS232 and/or 422 commands, etc which allow for audio, video and lighting to be synchronized during the performance and later in studio for touch ups. Since the band has not been a band for some time and those guys have not been used to playing together, it probably helped them some. However, I was under the impression that the only thing really being recorded was video, which made no sense to me then or now.

Louie's drums are irrelevant. He popped a head. Big deal. Just because it was in the PA, doesn't mean that it will be on the DVD. I am not saying that they did not record the drums. All I am saying is that it doesn't matter who played what on stage. They don't have to use it and just because there was something being played does not mean it was recorded or that those tracks will show up on the DVD.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:48 pm

Just downloaded mine and sounds good. I'm a happy man right now! Took me just 5 minutes to download.

1. It has a lot of studio effects, polished none-the-less, but it's still live. I was at the taping and everything was played live. I heard it, even the guitar solo for BTTR was totally different in musical notes and in guitar tone.

2. I hear the drums to be definitely live on this one.

3. I saw that they had a guy and a gal playing violin on about 3 of the songs to one side of the stage, i wonder if they were recorded.

4. Greg's vocals for sure are not the ones on the Studio CD.

In all this CD rocks, and we are blessed to have our favorite band out there still rocking.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:36 am

Just listened through, and i don't like the ending. They just fade it away like a studio reocrd????

No, "Good Night", "God Bless You", or " Go With God" at the end of TBTF?????

I was there and there was plenty of that twice at the tapimg.

Also there is no crowd applause at the end.

Also Mark's speech before GR was amazing that night about his Dad's passing, but they only put about 4 words of it.

Not much crowd interaction, nor song introductions here.

Oh well, i'll wait for other people's reviews.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adpetrafan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:19 am

I gave in and bought it from Amazon. I am listening to the new album from my new Amazon Cloud storage space. Nifty!

So far I am amazed. It really makes me sad I could not make it to the show to see it in person, but it also REALLY makes me want the DVD even more.

I think it sounds fantastic, but kinda wish it did not fade out between songs and eliminate a lot of the talking (I assume...).

This is the best $9.00 I have spent in a long time. I like this version of the songs much better than the studio album.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:40 am

Fade out? Please tell me they did not not fade out on a live album.
0 x