"The Greater Cause" - John's New CD

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: "The Greater Cause" - John's New CD

Post by brent » Sun May 22, 2011 4:55 pm

I want John to so a melodic rock 70s style record, so that he is in his element. I would pay good money for that. If I had it, I would pay for all of that. That is where his heart is. If he can't do that, then bring on the metal. HAAAAARD metal. It needs to be done outside of Nashville no matter what it is.
0 x

petheadeast123
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Wake Up Call
Pethead since: 2004

Post by petheadeast123 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:16 pm

brent wrote:I want John to so a melodic rock 70s style record
Totallyy second that!! Would love John to do an album with a Head East-esque sound to it. Its funny - some of the 'pre-John' Petra albums remind me of Head East - with the B3, upfront crunchy guitars, tight/fat drum sounds.. & just the overall production - but then as soon as John came in we got space drums and thin guitars for a couple of the albums.. still great stuff though! Also agree about lettin John do what he wants to do - if he gets to do what he's really got his heart in, no doubt it'll be good stuff.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:16 am

For me, the only thing John could do that I would find less than interesting is if he did another album like The Grafting. The only reason I even now own that album is because I was able to pick it up dirt cheap and there are a couple ok songs on it, but now John says he'll do a rocker and that's good enough for me. I have enough confidence in John, that if he sets out to do a rocker he will do it well, so that's all I really care about.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Mon May 23, 2011 9:32 am

This next one will be a rocker... rest assured. John knows what you want, and since the fans are helping to fund it - he will absolutely deliver.

Here's a cool thing for all you history buffs out there -- check out John's latest newsletter:
http://johnwschlitt.com/fans/newsletter.htm

Even if you donate only $10 bucks - you get the digital download AND this demo song - plus more immediate incentives as we go along. You can't lose!
OWN A PIECE OF HISTORY!

DONATE TO “THE GREATER CAUSE”
– RECEIVE AN MP3 OF THE DEMO SONG THAT BROUGHT
JOHN SCHLITT TO PETRA!

Anyone who donates to the funding of John’s new album “The Greater Cause” will receive one of the demo songs that brought the name John Schlitt to Bob Hartman’s attention – resulting in a new lead singer for Petra and a new era in the band’s legendary history! This mp3 is the first Christian song that John ever recorded (approx. 1982), a few years after leaving the secular scene and giving his life to Christ.

Once $10,000 worth of pledges are reached, we will release the song IMMEDIATELY via Kickstarter email to ALL THE DONATORS up to that point (prior and new supporters).

THE DEMO STORY:
A man who attended John’s church at the time managed the band “Ascension.” The band had a few songs put together but needed a lead singer just for recording purposes. The manager asked John to lend his vocals, paying him $10 per song and a few bucks for gas to drive to the studio in Peoria, IL.

The ‘studio’ ended up being a few pieces of equipment in the producer’s living room! In addition – John had to come up with the melody line on his own – nothing was written prior to his arrival at the ‘studio.’

John was under the impression that the songs were simply for the band to have for their own listening. But once the songs were finished, the manager turned it into a demo recording, shipping it all over the country – without John’s knowledge or permission.

The demo landed in the hands of a “friend of a friend” of Bob Hartman, who was looking for a new lead singer for Petra. The friend heard about the demo tape, mentioned John’s name to Bob – and the rest is history!

THE PLAN:
As pledges for “The Greater Cause” increase, we will add special incentives at various points in the fundraising efforts as an immediate THANK YOU for those supporters who believe in John and are willing to be a part of his team.

“This is a fun way to say THANK YOU as well as an opportunity to share something of mine that nobody else has. Happy listening and thanks for all your support!” …John
0 x

petheadeast123
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petheadeast123 » Mon May 23, 2011 3:21 pm

Thats SUPER cool Sue!! Can't wait to hear THAT! I'm preparing to donate very soon - just gettin all my ducks in a row (just had to put new tires and struts on my car - aside from a new transmission recently!) FUN FUN! haha! But I'm def planning to help as much as possible! :) and also I have an exciting little pledge/reward idea I'm gonna message you about soon! :)
0 x

Tutor23
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Tutor23 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:27 pm

Do you guys think the main contributor pool for this new effort is tapped out? I mean, do you think there are many others out there who will contribute, who have not already done so? I surely hope he gets enough to move forward. I soooooooo hope he does!

Andy
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:38 pm

I hate to say it, but unless there are some pretty big contributors that are gonna step up, I have a hard time seeing how they will reach 35,000 in the time allotted. The pace has really slowed and there is long, long way to go. My bigger question I guess is whether the number really needed to be that big? I use a demo service to get my backing tracks recorded and it costs me about $1500 bucks an album (12 songs) and the quality is very good. Here's a sample http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/musi ... e=song.mp3 There's a small studio here that charges $25 an hour to come in and do the vocal tracks, and it's not that terribly expensive to have the CD's and artwork put together either if you use the right places. I use CD Baby for digital distribution and that works fine and doesn't cost a lot. Heck, I'd donate some of my already recorded hard rock songs for John to use and put his vocals on if I thought he'd ever have any interest in doing that, but regardless, I know an album of decent quality can be made for a lot less money.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue May 24, 2011 6:44 pm

Traditionally, the largest donations on there come quickly within the first couple of days and then the little donations bring up the rear.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Tue May 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Tapped out? no.... people - especially Christians - are known to procrastinate. Many people wait until the end, then decide to commit. I've seen this time and time again in my church, and even with potential promoters who take FOREVER to decide on hosting a concert or not.

Brent, you've been watching other Kickstarter projects to know the majority donate at the start? I've seen huge pushes at the very end that have put the projects up and over.

There are tons of Petra/Schlitt fans out there - if every one would contribute just a few bucks - we'd reach the goal. Ten bucks isn't going to break anyone... and people would be buying the download anyway, wouldn't they? So 'pre-buy' it!

As far as cost - John has very high standards when it comes to recording. You wouldn't expect less from someone who has his history and professionalism, would you?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed May 25, 2011 4:12 pm

I have been watching this and other sites. Fund raising and sales marathons see the bulk of their big money first, most of the time. BTW, a friend of mine who is a sales and marketing guru for a very large, high volume sales company says that the first 24 hours reveal the future for these types of things. There needs to be lots of hype to drive it on the front side so that people are standing in line with wallets open. If you are not within 80% of whatever goal you have within a few days, you likely will not be.....by the numbers in his world.

Remember, Christians are giving already, have less discretionary income, are already giving to very important missions and emergency relief funds, and have always spent less money per artist than their secular counterparts. Name one Christian artist making Bon Jovi money. There is none.

True there are lots of fans, but fans do not equate to sales automatically. They have to know about this. They have to have money and they have to have a way to get you the money. Some Christians do not do commerce on the internet, especially in foreign markets where there is much fraud and limited access, so there has to be a way for them to contribute. Judging by the fact that things are slowing, the word has not reached those fans or the fans are just tapped.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Thu May 26, 2011 1:44 pm

I've seen many projects (Christian) funded on this site for much more than John's... and by artists with much less name recognition than his as well.

I'm not worried at this point.... we're at 20% with 73 days left.

Your buddy must be living in a really different world to feel that 80% of a goal must be funded in a few days... wow... has he ever worked with procrastinating Christians? hehehehe....
0 x

Timbo
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Timbo » Thu May 26, 2011 3:36 pm

One thing Iv'e learned about God is He doesn't usually follow the trends. Most artists on kickstarter may earn 80% in the 1st whatever days. But, if God wants John to do this record, it will be funded on time. Infact I bet the last 50% will come in the last 10 days or something crazy like that. That is usually how God does it. We think it's over and He is saying "when will you learn?" and then proceeds to acomplish His will.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu May 26, 2011 7:50 pm

Well, God's will is for him to do a 70's progressive melodic rock record I guess.....that is what God told me in a vision when I was laying my hands on the TV when the lightning hit the house the other day.
0 x

petheadeast123
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petheadeast123 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:57 pm

brent wrote:Well, God's will is for him to do a 70's progressive melodic rock record I guess.....that is what God told me in a vision when I was laying my hands on the TV when the lightning hit the house the other day.
If Brent said it.......
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Fri May 27, 2011 7:00 am

Timbo, you're so right. I have seen this many times over: God CAN and DOES move mountains. Course we have to do our part as well.

If 'The Greater Cause' is meant to be and the Lord is 'in on it,' using Kickstarter to do it -- then it will get done.

If not - then it wasn't the right thing to do, and I didn't do my job in publicizing it well enough.
0 x