Greg or John?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
mkepethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1985

Re: Greg or John?

Post by mkepethead » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:45 am

I'll say John based on his"'rock" voice and the first 4 albums he did with Petra.
0 x
Petra Means Rock!

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:40 pm

John Schlitt.
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:02 pm

My real question is how many times has this question been asked here and why do we keep asking it? I mean this board has always been dominated by those loyal to John, so there is never any question how the results will turn out. So again, why do we keep asking it? I just really don't see what good comes of it other than tempting yet another batch of hurt feelings by displaying yet again, how much the people here prefer John. It's old and tired. I answered this time, but I think I'm going to make a commitment now that if this question is asked anymore, I'm not gonna have anything to with it.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:06 pm

Porked up! That's what I meant. Funny how beef and pork meanthe opposite. It's also reassuring to me that other people think Greg moves around a little weird. That CITAS stuff was not 80's- it was just Greg. Great voice, silly stage presence.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:44 pm

Frankly it doesn't bother in the least bit if someone likes other band member over the one I favor as is the same if someone picks an album that I may not think highly of. It's not a big deal; we all have our preferences and that is what makes us unique and special.
It's just crying over spilt milk and really inmature.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Jan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Jan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:46 pm

Preacherman777 wrote:My real question is how many times has this question been asked here and why do we keep asking it?
It's only redundant to people who have been here a long time. A new person started this thread, and probably didn't know it has been discussed several times before. Not everyone has time or wants to go back and read through the old posts. You can always just skip over the ones that seem annoyingly repetitive to you.
0 x

Pethead94
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: I can't decide!
Pethead since: 1994

Post by Pethead94 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:10 pm

Jan wrote:
Preacherman777 wrote:My real question is how many times has this question been asked here and why do we keep asking it?
It's only redundant to people who have been here a long time. A new person started this thread, and probably didn't know it has been discussed several times before. Not everyone has time or wants to go back and read through the old posts. You can always just skip over the ones that seem annoyingly repetitive to you.
Thank you, Jan... I really didn't know it had been asked, I was curious.
I didn't want to start an argument.
0 x
"Just reach out, and He'll reach in..." - John Schlitt
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... a12ea7398a
^The link to my Classic Petra Myrtle Beach photos... Check them out!

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:48 pm

There is no argument nor was one ever intended. I was just stating my opinion about the subject because I know how much trouble it has caused here in the past. No offense was intended. I was just stating how I intend to handle myself in regards to any future threads of this nature.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:43 am

Don't worry, pethead94. We're glad to have you on board and these questions are fun. In the past some of us have sometimes overdone it a bit, but that shouldn't spoil the fun of these kinds of questions.

I think I would have to go with John, because he's been singing for Petra as long as I know the band. But I'm certainly one of those who absorbs everything Petra. I even like Double Take once in a while. :oops:

I never know what my favourite album / era is. It just depends on what I'm listening to :lol:
0 x

LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1993

Post by LivingRock » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:55 am

p-freak wrote:

I never know what my favourite album / era is. It just depends on what I'm listening to :lol:
Amen to that.
0 x
"Pethead" is not a title. It's a way of life.

http://pathofthecarpenter.blogspot.ca/

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:22 am

I'd like to clarify just one thing about what I said. I don't have a negative feeling about this subject because I have a problem with people expressing their preferences or that I think that having to see people express those preferences is any just cause for anyone else to feel hurt. No, my negative feeling about the subject comes from the fact that historically, somewhere along the line, somebody, while praising their favorite singer will make a comment about the other singer that is negative or snarky and that usually lights a fuse that causes lots of problems. Having seen that very thing go very, very bad on too many occasions, I wish to see us avoid such things. That was the entire reason for my comment. I understand that the poster was new and probably doesn't know about all of that, but these facts are well known by most of us here and it doesn't hurt new people, if they are going to be here, to have a little background knowledge. I'm not condemning anyone. I'm not looking for any argument or debate, I'm just expressing a concern and I want people to understand why and not draw the wrong conclusions about why I said what I said.
0 x

dismaltrader
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1986

Post by dismaltrader » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:41 am

I was introduced to Petra in the early - mid 80's when Greg was the lead singer. I have always loved that era most and therefore Greg has always been my favorite. That being said I also like many of the songs that John sang lead on and think his voice is well suited for his era.
0 x

savage
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 1984

Post by savage » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:56 pm

Greg. John is awesome but Greg is who hooked me. Props to John for keeping Petra going but Greg is the first one that comes to mind.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:37 am

Hi Pethead94, welcome to the board. It is fun to revisit this now and then, and as has been pointed out, there is always the option of bypassing a thread you don't wish to get involved in. There will be those who prefer Greg and those who prefer John and those who like both. It's just a matter of preference and in the big scheme of things isn't a big deal.

Greg and John are both special to me and they both gave Petra a unique sound.

The first Petra album I got was Beat The System, and the first Petra show I saw was in 1984 at Irvine Meadows Amphitheater. I got to see them again in San Diego before Greg left.

The first time I saw Petra with John was in 1987 or 1988 at The Greek Theater. I've probably been to 20 Petra concerts over the years.
0 x

mkepethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!

Post by mkepethead » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:38 am

mkepethead wrote:I'll say John based on his"'rock" voice and the first 4 albums he did with Petra.

Part of me still feels this way but, Listening to BTTR was like I rediscovered a friend I hadn't seen in years. I have fond memories of both eras. I'm happy to see John L, Louie and, Mark back.
0 x
Petra Means Rock!