Watching Classic Petra Right Now!!

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
onyx
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Watching Classic Petra Right Now!!

Post by onyx » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:20 am

I am such a happy Petra fan right now! Loved the whole show!!
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:39 am

onyx wrote:I am such a happy Petra fan right now! Loved the whole show!!
As did I onyx. My Dad (who loves and still watches Jimmy Swaggart by the way) sit and watched Classic Petra too :)
The thing my Dad sees is the bands desire to keep the Bible in our faces in the entire concert, they are one of the few bands that still do that in a world where other "Christian" bands seem to think that never saying a word about God will somehow tell them where to find God (don't know where you're going unless you get directions first) :)
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:17 am

No Bruno, please do not upload nor post the show here nor on Youtube! That will be unlawful and will hurt Petra. They worked hard for this and spent lots of time, money and tears for it to be stolen like that! I know you mean well, but it's just not right.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

jensskov
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1987

Post by jensskov » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:13 pm

bakersfieldpethead wrote:
onyx wrote:I am such a happy Petra fan right now! Loved the whole show!!
As did I onyx. My Dad (who loves and still watches Jimmy Swaggart by the way) sit and watched Classic Petra too :)
The thing my Dad sees is the bands desire to keep the Bible in our faces in the entire concert, they are one of the few bands that still do that in a world where other "Christian" bands seem to think that never saying a word about God will somehow tell them where to find God (don't know where you're going unless you get directions first) :)
Yes, that's also what I find fantastic about Petra. There are a lot of great Christian artists, with songs that has a stron message, but when listening to any Petra record song after song they are touching my heart over and over again.
This is not just about great music and talented artists. This is ministry. I really do thing that Bob has an special gift, an anointing if I may use a word like that.
0 x

BForm
Pethead
Pethead

Missed It!!!!

Post by BForm » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:47 pm

Can't believe I forgot all about it. It looks like it's on the schedule again for Saturday, July 16th for anyone as lame as me.
0 x
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. - John Piper

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:57 pm

Watched it two times today. I'm a video production guy so my critiques tend to be nitpicky. It was a solid production for sure, with some flaws that keep it from being fantastic. I really enjoyed hearing from the classic lineup. The vintage photos were perfect, I just wish they had kept them up a little longer so I could see them. However Greg and Bob side by side got to be very annoying. I just wanted to tell Greg to be quiet when Bob is talking!!! He can answer questions without assistance. Side by side interviews are the worst when you are asking personal questions because people don't say the same thing sitting next to a friend or family member. The band interviews looked nice, a little heavy on the shadows but perfectly acceptable.

The interviews outside with fans and the director were pathetic. It appears no attempt was made to light the subjects appropriately, most, if not all seemed to be completely backlit. That's actually a common occurrence on TBN programs so I guess we should be lucky the band interviews looked so good. Plus, some of the fans seemed excited, the others seemed to be whispering, like they were in a library or something.

The audio mix was pretty good, but at times it seemed the video was not in sync with the audio during the concert. Or... it could be that the audio and the video are not from the same event. As a die hard Petra fan I could have done without all the crying. Sure it's emotional, but one can wonder how many more stories could have been shared if the crying had been truncated. Is Louie always this emotional? Overall I was impressed with the show and it really makes me wish they could do a 2 hour doc. on Petra, not just this Classic lineup. There has to be a lot of broadcast quality footage from over the years to put something really nice together, like what the Bee Gees did recently. I'd love to know more about the band with stories from John and Ronny, Brown and the elephants and the different styles they adapted to. The bad with the good!

Again I don't want to sound too negative, but these are things that I noticed right off the bat. I really did enjoy it and agree with the person that stated this is the best Petra production we've gotten.
0 x

brunomonteiro
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: God Fixation
Pethead since: 1998

Post by brunomonteiro » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:19 am

fcollazo wrote:No Bruno, please do not upload nor post the show here nor on Youtube! That will be unlawful and will hurt Petra. They worked hard for this and spent lots of time, money and tears for it to be stolen like that! I know you mean well, but it's just not right.
Just a note: I was thinking that the documentary is different of the DVD... :mrgreen: That's why I said to someone upload at You Tube

ANYWAY, I understood your point. But I have to disagree in what you say about "stole" the documentary.
Many people around the world don't have how to buy the DVD (because of distribuition issues, shipping, money, whatever!) so, the only way to watch it is by the You Tube streaming service. So, I see it more like "spreading the word" than "stole". You know what I mean?

In anyway, I encourage all fans to buy the DVD and not to download it or make illegal copies. I am a diehard fan of Petra for many years and I'd never wanted to make anything bad to the band. I am just trying to help some fans around the world.

Well, I'll not upload this in anyway. Sorry for who was interested. :mrgreen:
And, PLEASE, buy the DVD and support the band if you love these guys.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:22 am

Bruno, the whole thing is on live streaming in the TBN web site, so we can spread the word about it to anyone in any country. ;)
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

Post by superfly » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:18 am

I don't really remember Greg "interrupting" Bob. Bob looked over to Greg a lot when he was talking as if inviting a comment. I thought they were great together, and quite funny at times. And Louie is probably more emotional with this band than normal because you have to remember that he was fired from Petra at a point when he had more longevity than the bandmates he was touring with and is now back with a classic line-up, and I'm sure it's an amazing thing for him.
0 x

jensskov
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1987

Post by jensskov » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:23 am

I am ordering this DVD!! That's for certain, but is the TBN show available "off line" somwhere.
I can't find it in their archives.
0 x

RockOn
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll and Hyde
Pethead since: 1982

Post by RockOn » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:42 am

The only thing that really bothered me during the concert, was Louie's camera went out of focus at about halfway in. I wouldn't have used the shots in the broadcast.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:55 am

I noticed a very slight sync issue during the concert as well, but it seemed to be less noticeable to me over time and I doubt the vocals were from a different event. I think that would have been way more noticeable. Of course there may have been some fixes. That sort of thing is not at all uncommon with live

I agree with what Superfly said about Louie. Louie expressed that all he ever really wanted was to be in Petra, basically it was his dream come true and then after serving the cause for over 20 years, he got fired by someone who had been there less time than him. I've always believed that really must have hurt and now I think we have proof of that. I don't blame Louie one bit for anything he said or for how emotional he was about it. God restored him to where he belongs and that has got to be a miracle to him.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

brunomonteiro
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: God Fixation
Pethead since: 1998

Post by brunomonteiro » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:21 am

I tried to buy the DVD but they don't accept PayPal. C'mon guys... :cry: Do not accept PayPal? In what year we are? 1998?

Wake up Petra store!!!! Help me to help you!
0 x

Muleya
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Not of This World
Pethead since: 1982

Post by Muleya » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:06 pm

My wife and I watched, but didn't finish it yesterday...I think we're about half-way through the concert. My wife was giving Louie a hard time for being so emotional...during the show she was like "He looks like he's about to cry right now!" But it was all in fun...it's cool that being in Petra means so much to him. BTW, who fired him...I wasn't following Petra that closely in the last number of years, so don't really know what went on there.

It's kind of funny, especially in relation to what Bob said...none of these guys look like rockers or have that kind of stage presence. My wife commented "They look like the Imperials, the way they're dressed!" Which was kind of true,at least for Greg and Bob! We are both dyed-in-the-wool Petra fans...of this exact lineup, in fact, so none of these comments are meant in disrespect, whatsoever...we love these guys and would go see them if they'd come to our area.

In terms of the video footage, I've been a little disappointed that they don't do many close ups on Bob and his playing...it seems like more on the other guys than him...though maybe that changes in the part we've not watched. And it's not just because I'm a guitar player...my wife commented on it before I did.

My only other comment has to do with the content of the show...don't understand why they aren't playing more songs than just from BTTR...it couldn't be that hard to work up a few extra tracks just for the tour. I'm more than a little disappointed by that.
0 x

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

Post by superfly » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:25 pm

You'll be glad to know (as am I) that they have mixed it up a little bit in the actual concerts they've been doing. They've done Stand Up, It Is Finished, Without Him We Can Do Nothing, and Judas' Kiss. For Judas' Kiss they've added a really cool solo thing in the middle with Bob and John Lawry going back and forth. The DVD is less concert, more TV show kind of a thing. My hope is that if they do something like this again after the next CD, that it's of an "actual" concert. :)
0 x