Will there be more from Petra?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1984

Will there be more from Petra?

Post by LexingtonPethead » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:33 am

Hello all. I know it's been a while since I posted here. Short explanation: It's a long story. But I have a question to ask, now that I have more of a chance to maintain some semblance to a presence here... how many people here are of the opinion that we have not heard the last from Petra?

I'm asking because about a year ago my best friend who is a Christian radio exec attended a function that included Petra... I believe it was John, Bob, Greg Bailey and someone I didn't recognize on drums. Mind you, this was 2009 or 2010 (I can't remember which). This is probably old news to those who have kept up with things, but I'm really trying to get back in the loop here.

Anyways, I'm hoping that we get yet another project from Petra. I understand that John is working on another solo project, and I'm looking forward to getting it when it is released.

Good to be back!
0 x

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Will there be more from Petra?

Post by superfly » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:10 am

Are you aware of the Classic Petra project and the Back To The Rock CD and DVD? It's all been in the past year, and there are a bunch of concert vids from the past year on Youtube to watch.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:36 am

I think within the next couple of yrs you will see some type of tour on a medium to large scale with Greg & John and other principle members of the band playing together on the same stage. I believe this is the only way that Petra successfully can sustain itself in today's market.
This could happen as early as next year with it being the 40th anniversary year.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:11 am

executioner wrote:I think within the next couple of yrs you will see some type of tour on a medium to large scale with Greg & John and other principle members of the band playing together on the same stage. I believe this is the only way that Petra successfully can sustain itself in today's market.
This could happen as early as next year with it being the 40th anniversary year.
I really doubt that will ever happen, at least the tour part! We may see a couple one offs.
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

SCJ-7
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Jekyll & Hyde
Pethead since: 1988

Post by SCJ-7 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:29 am

I keep my hopes for a "Jekyll & Hyde 2" Album.
0 x
"Never perfect but perfectly forgiven"...

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:40 am

J&H2 would great, I really don't think another rocker like that will come out from Petra. John solo album is going to be a rocker, so I am hanging out for that one.

J&H2 + John Lawry on keys.. that would be my setup.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:54 pm

Man, I hate to say it, but I just don't think it matters anymore. Not in the USA anyway.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:36 pm

yup.. they all gone soft.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:14 pm

David, hi, I remember you! Welcome back. I don't have much to add to what has been said. You might want to read through some of the threads here that catch your interest, that might be the best way to help you catch up as far as what Petra has been doing. The Zone hasn't really changed since the last time you posted. People may come and go but the Zone is always the Zone. And there are good and bad things about that. :mrgreen:
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:28 am

superfly wrote:Are you aware of the Classic Petra project and the Back To The Rock CD and DVD? It's all been in the past year, and there are a bunch of concert vids from the past year on Youtube to watch.
I wasn't aware of those. I'll have to check out the Classic Petra project and Back to the Rock CD and... DVD? Wow! A DVD eh? Sounds like something I just have to have! Thanks!
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:44 am

executioner wrote:I think within the next couple of yrs you will see some type of tour on a medium to large scale with Greg & John and other principle members of the band playing together on the same stage. I believe this is the only way that Petra successfully can sustain itself in today's market.
That's an interesting hypothesis. Basically, kind of a repeat of the Farewell Tour, but not necessarily with as many of the band's past members, in my opinion, to get back all they had for the Farewell Tour would be less likely. Particularly since Greg and John would be the primary draw for such a move. It was very moving to see them together in Fort Wayne during the Farewell Tour.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:46 am

Yes, all that, and it should also be noted that the latest we've heard on Classic Petra is that they in negotiations for signing with a record company. The Back to the Rock CD and DVD were done independently. Classic Petra is Bob Hartman, Greg X Volz, Mark Kelly, John Lawry and Louie Weaver.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:48 am

Shell wrote:David, hi, I remember you! Welcome back. I don't have much to add to what has been said. You might want to read through some of the threads here that catch your interest, that might be the best way to help you catch up as far as what Petra has been doing. The Zone hasn't really changed since the last time you posted. People may come and go but the Zone is always the Zone. And there are good and bad things about that. :mrgreen:

Hi Shell, and I also remember you! You were the peacekeeper in this sometimes bickering/always strong-willed and opinioned bunch of Petheads!
0 x

LexingtonPethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by LexingtonPethead » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:53 am

Preacherman777 wrote:Yes, all that, and it should also be noted that the latest we've heard on Classic Petra is that they in negotiations for signing with a record company. The Back to the Rock CD and DVD were done independently. Classic Petra is Bob Hartman, Greg X Volz, Mark Kelly, John Lawry and Louie Weaver.
I'm assuming that these are compilations of material from Not of This World, More Power To Ya, etc...

I'm especially interested in a DVD from that era. That would be awesome! I'll be digging into that this weekend!
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:05 am

Yes, the Back to the Rock CD is a collection of re-recorded songs from NSD, MPTY, NOTW and BTS. There are also two newly recorded songs. One is a new one written by Bob and the other is a reworked song from Greg's most recent solo album. By the way, I have to correct myself about the negotiations for a record deal. Apparently they have already signed on with ANR records. I just this confirmed on the Blog at their website.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft