Back to the Rock Vs. Back to the Rock Live

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Timbo
Pethead
Pethead

Back to the Rock Vs. Back to the Rock Live

Post by Timbo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:23 pm

Which album do you like better? I like the live better than the studio which is strange for me since I never like live over studio. I should say I don't usually like live records over studio records. I have always enjoyed Petra live in concert over the studio recordings. At least whenever Bob was on tour with them. So I would be interested in what others think about the Back to the Rock albums.
0 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Re: Back to the Rock Vs. Back to the Rock Live

Post by zman7720000 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:35 pm

Same :mrgreen:
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adpetrafan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:48 pm

Same.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:55 pm

They are both the same tracks with a live performance tracked over it here and there. So, I think it is funny one would like the live version over the studio.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:31 pm

I like the studio version of Grave Robber simply because it is hard to hear the keyboard flourishes at the beginning and after the first verse. After that it is pretty much a coin toss.
0 x

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:17 pm

I think the live version sounds better. But that is because the studio version was badly mastered with way too little high frequency content (in my opinion). I have said this a couple of times before so maybe I'm breaking the new forum rules now? :shock:
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:07 am

Mastering was not it. John recorded and mixed dark. It is a very thick, round sounding record on the low end. John likes the analog tape sound without the hassle. He also likes the layered guitar + distorted organ sound. It is not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it. It is not the loudest album, and retains some dynamic range, albeit not a whole lot. The album sounds exactly as John intended.

If you knew John's philosophies and recording preferences for smaller, dead rooms, you would say the drums are true to form. If you knew the gear he used and what that gear does to the sound, you would realize that it is a VERY good representation. The console he has is a tone monster.

This album is best listened to at high volumes.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:33 am

Brent, are you talking about the studio album?
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:13 am

Timbo wrote:Which album do you like better? I like the live better than the studio which is strange for me since I never like live over studio. I should say I don't usually like live records over studio records. I have always enjoyed Petra live in concert over the studio recordings. At least whenever Bob was on tour with them. So I would be interested in what others think about the Back to the Rock albums.
Really? The only thing different that I've heard is the crowed and the talking. The music sounds pretty much the same, didn't they even keep the same track list?

I think this question would be more relevant if they did other songs, or a different track order and they didn't use backup tracks from the album.

Don't get me wrong, as a fan I love both of them, but I just don't think you could like one better than the other because that would be just like telling twins that one of them was ugly. 8)
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:16 am

To me it sounds like a monitoring problem / not checking the mix at different volumes / not comparing it to a reference CD but ONLY using your ears and getting used to what you hear. So of course it's a mix problem to begin with. I know you disagree Brent, but I think a mastering engineer should use (linear) EQ to shape the frequencies to sound more like everything else out there - if not specifically told not to do so.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:08 pm

The way Greg and Louie accent the verses in Godpleaser is the most noticeable difference for me. "Till I draw my dying breath" and "With all my heart unto the Lord" is what I'm talking about- I like it a lot better on the live album.

See- I can be real nitpicky!
0 x

Timbo
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Timbo » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:02 pm

I just don't think you could like one better than the other because that would be just like telling twins that one of them was ugly?

Really? So, these are identical projects? There are no differences in sound what so ever? They packaged the same cd with different cover art?

Since we know there are differences between the two, I think it may be possible to like one better than the other. I do like both though. But the live seems more crisp and clear. But like Brent said, it depends on what you like. I like Farewell, but it sounds muffled to me, just like Back to the Rock (Studio).
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:56 pm

I like the live version better; It has a little better rawness to it and the guitar tone is a little more deep unlike with the studio mix where it sounds like the guitar is laid on top of the rest of the recording. The snare also sounds alot dryer(less muddy) than on the studio version.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!