THE GREATER CAUSE REVIEW

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

THE GREATER CAUSE REVIEW

Post by executioner » Thu May 24, 2012 10:06 am

I purposely waited until I received the CD to give it the proper review even though I've had the DL since the first of the year. I am one of those listeners that appreciates the CD quality and the full experience it brings over a DL.

This CD rocks your socks off!!! Its not like an in your face type of rock but supports alot of heavy low end guitar riffs and a driving bass with a crystal clear bass drum thump that is very hard to find in rock music these days. The strongest tracks are the rock songs "Take Me Home", Love Won't Leave", "One Of These Days", Faith & Freedom", & "Hope Saves" all these songs are a strong reminder of not only John's strong vocals but also Petra's strong legacy; any of these would fit nicely on several Petra albums and we would never know these were John's solo tracks.
We have seen some say they miss the up front Christian Bible in your face lyrics and yes the first few spins had me thinking the same, but after a few listens I easily caught the full meanings of these songs and noticed on how rich & deep the lyrical content was. This album has really hit home for me in several aspects of my Christian Faith.

1. Live It Loud: Has a "Unfit For Swine" Feel to it and to be honest IMO is not a very strong track, overall it seems dated: 6
2. Take Me Home: Comes out kicking and never lets up; Guitar work is clean, crisp, and up front. I think it would play well on radio. 9
3. Love Won't Leave Me: Interesting concept of a rocker; snare is not present until the bridge and has a Def Leppard feel to it. This will be a great concert staple. 8
4. One Of These Days: Truly John at his finest with easy vocals at the start then takes it up a notch on the chorus. The drums on this song are the best I've ever heard from a Petra releated release. 10
5. Faith & Freedom: This has a unique American feel to it and has mildly offended some that are not from the USA, but put away the thought of it like that and you will find a strong Christian Faith message about as Christians we are told not to be quiet. 8
6. End Of Fear: I haven't caught on to this song as of yet and it reminds me of a filler song; there is nothing here that catches my fancy. 4
7. Where I Want To Be: I'm lost with this song because it is really uneven and it feels like nobody really knows what they want to do with it; Is it a ballad, a mid tempo, or a rocker? 5
8. Hope That Saves: This is a true winner here, and brings everything that John is about. The chorus builds and supports John's vocals like the old days. 10
9. Run: At first I didn't like it, but now it is fast becoming a fav of mine. It clicks with the theme of the album and I believe will become a concert staple. 8
10. The Gift: Unlike most, I've fallen in love with the sound & vibe of this song; John's spot on vocals flows right along with the guitar and you can feel his true emotional heart with it. 8
11. The Cross: I like this song but it seems out of place, maybe it should have been put up near track 4-5. I think The Gift is the true ending for the CD. 7

This is clearly John's best overall solo project and IMO is right up there with some of Petra's greatest works. I do feel like some of the sound in it is dated, but the production quality & musicianship is first rate and does bring out a current vibe(my 16 yr old son) loves it and hasn't stopped listening to it so maybe that sound is coming back around who knows? I would gladly recommend this to any age and wouldn't be ashamed to listen to this offering with anyone.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: THE GREATER CAUSE REVIEW

Post by executioner » Thu May 24, 2012 10:15 am

If anyone else has any reviews or thoughts please post them in this thread. thanks
0 x

PetraFan007
Pethead
Pethead

Post by PetraFan007 » Thu May 24, 2012 10:48 am

I know this question is premature, but do you think John will continue to release solo albums? He's definitely still got a few years left of his voice!
0 x
E-mail me at [img]http://petrafan007.100megs15.com/nospam.jpg[/img]

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Thu May 24, 2012 10:58 am

Well the Kickstarter program was very successful in John's case, and I'm not sure that would be an option a 2nd time around. I think having him do another solo album is premature, but it all depends on how this one sells. I know the press on TGC has been mostly positive and "Hope That Saves" is getting quality airplay on rock stations. I will be honest and say another solo album would be great, but I would much rather see him back fronting Petra in the futue, and I think the possibilities of that happening are very good.
0 x

LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1993

Post by LivingRock » Fri May 25, 2012 11:54 pm

For those of you not on Facebook, here's a direct copy of the review I posted.

Hello folks! I'm Hannah Lavoie. As some of you know, I'm the one who took the photo of John Schlitt featured on the inside of the cover of his new album, "The Greater Cause." The wind-blown picture of him standing on the rock with arms outstretched was taken right here in my home province; the island of Newfoundland, Canada.

Now that I've had time to thoroughly enjoy and immerse myself in John's new CD, here is my personal review for you all.

Number 1. Live It Loud. The opening track begins with gritty guitar work and an opening wail from John reminiscent of Petra's "Good News" that left me slack-jawed as I thought, "The Legend is back!!!" As the title suggests, this is a hard and heavy hitting rocker sure to satisfy older Petra fans while attracting the attention of the younger set with the incorporated rap elements. John proves right from the get-go that he hasn't lost any of the talent that put him in the big leagues in the first place. And he goes on proving it on every track.

Number 2. Take Me Home. This has an interesting start, musically. Sort of Jeremy Camp-esque; the story of the prodigal son is given a new, solid, rock spin. Background vocals really build the song and showcase John's unique voice in a way that works with his unique style to create a unique and memorable song.

Number 3. Love Won't Leave Me Alone. This song has a funky rhythm with clearly-defined bass and a "stomp-stomp-clap" beat that grabbed me and sucked me in from the first play. It instantly became my favorite upbeat song on the album. The chorus is memorable, singable, and addicting! Personally, I think Newsboys fans will really like this one!

Number 4. One of These Days. This song starts quiet and deep, gradually building up into what I can say is the closest thing to metal that I've ever heard John sing; showing, once again, the versatility of his voice. Fans who like a little head-banging to add spice to their listening experience will enjoy this track! John's voice is clear and well-defined, easily hearable even over the thundering guitars and drums.

Number 5. Faith & Freedom. This is a clear, clean rocker that starts with John's proud declaration, "I'm an American!" One for the citizens of the U.S.A, it's also an anthem for proud residents of any nation who believe in "Faith and Freedom; God and Country too!" It's got a catchy, easy to remember chorus that you'll catch yourself singing more than once!

Number 6. End of Fear. More of a mid-tempo contemporary, this song reminds me of the Grafting. A smooth, easy-listening song, it once again shows off John's timeless vocals to great advantage.

Number 7. Where I Wanna Be. Another contemporary song that blends memorable lyrics rich with meaning and soft-yet-intense musical genius, this track has a tasty, mellow feel that builds to a slow rocker with deep emotion and raw feeling. Lines such as, "If love could rain for forty days, would it wash away the pain of bitter days and all the lies that came between us?" draw the listener in and make it personal. I have a feeling that this one will be around for quite a while!

Number 8. Hope That Saves The World. Can you say rock?! Simple lyrics, a driving beat, and John's heavy, raspy voice carry this song forward to the chorus, which builds in intensity as John's voice soars higher and higher and leaves you with the sensation of flight! One of those songs that needs to be blasted on your car stereo with the windows rolled down. This track also would have worked as the album's opening song.

Number 9. Run. This song is a 70's style rocker that puts me in mind of Don Francisco's song "If You Ain't Gonna Sing The Gospel, You're Gonna Sing The Blues." I visualize bikers and bandannas for some reason, but it's a overall great song with some delicious guitar-work, another of those, "Play with the windows down" type of songs!

Number 10. The Gift (Dorla's song). A sweet ballad made sweeter by the acoustic guitar and cello and by the soft and raw feeling that John displays in this love song written for his wife. I believe that this will also become a beautiful celebration song for a couple's anniversary. John puts his heart and soul into this one. It's an intimate peek into a love that's stood the test of time, and may even bring a tear to your eye.

Number 11. The Cross Remains. If I could choose one, "ultimate" song from this album, this one would be it. The song has deep personal meaning for me, and I believe it will resonate with many in the same way. It's the perfect conclusion to the album, with poignant lines such as, "There'll be no laughing at our scars; they're now a part of who we are," "Though the hardest heart of men try to lead us to an end; We may fall, still our hope remains," and "We won't let them build an altar on our sorrow." It's an anthem of courage with intricate guitar, deep, rich undertones, and John's raw vocal power. This track combines the musical intensity of a slow, heavy rocker with the heart and feeling of a hope-filled ballad, and it closes the album with the final declaration, "Through it all, the Cross remains."

Conclusion: Ever since "The Grafting", fans have been asking for another rocker, a Petra-style album with intensity, passion, and power. "The Greater Cause," is that album. John's vocals have only improved with time, and his heart for ministry hasn't diminshed at all over the years. This is an album that Petheads, Schlitt-heads, and new fans alike can be proud of; a collaboration with some of the nation's best songwriters and musicians that culminates in a musical masterpiece; in short, a work of art that will set the standard. If John Schlitt wasn't famous already, this album would become the birthing of a legend. Hope-filled, this album reminds us to ever press onward toward the Greater Cause of Jesus Christ.
0 x
"Pethead" is not a title. It's a way of life.

http://pathofthecarpenter.blogspot.ca/

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat May 26, 2012 9:18 am

Nice review Livingrock, very detailed and to the point. This CD just rocks more & more, and now after several listens the message that comes thru is upfront Biblical and strong Christian backing. In the liner notes are the Scriptures that all the songs are based on and they add alot of understanding to the message John is trying to get out.
0 x

LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief

Post by LivingRock » Sun May 27, 2012 10:50 am

Thanks exe, really enjoyed reading yours as well.
0 x
"Pethead" is not a title. It's a way of life.

http://pathofthecarpenter.blogspot.ca/

HudsonPethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1997

Post by HudsonPethead » Sun May 27, 2012 2:24 pm

Nice review Livingrock and exe!
I would much rather see him back fronting Petra in the futue, and I think the possibilities of that happening are very good.
The best thing that could happen!
I dream and pray for this.
0 x
https://t.me/pump_upp

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:23 am

Here is my review: My top favorite is "One of these days". Other favorites are "Live it loud", "Hope that saves the world" and "Run". The rest is pretty good as well. A well spent 10 dollars.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:31 am

I have waited to say anything about this record until now. The truth is, after all of this time, I have never been past track two completely. I scanned through the rest of it. This has nothing to do with the record, but my listening habits. I get a toe in the water on the next tune, then the next, then the next, always starting from song 1. So, it takes time, and time is hard to set aside. Why don't I put it on my iPod and listen while doing something else? Pfffft. I like sitting, listening, concentrating, reading the lyrics, etc. I AM OLD, ok? Sorry Sue. That means you are old too.

My review: I like it! This sounds as it should. It has some classic rock elements with modern production flare.

One of These Days and End of My Fear are probably my least favorite musically. But, the messages are very good. EOMF is very, very good.

You people screaming against Faith & Freedom shouldn't like this song. It is an American song. If you are not an American, you can't appreciate it, so it is natural that you do not like this pep talk song. I don't have a problem with anyone writing a song to their country, telling them, to rise up, stay strong, to preserve the way of life, practicing faith, freedom, God and country. There is nothing offensive to me. So, if you guys are offended, consider it in context and get over yourselves. Musically it is a fun song.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:32 am

brent wrote:I have waited to say anything about this record until now. The truth is, after all of this time, I have never been past track two completely. I scanned through the rest of it. This has nothing to do with the record, but my listening habits. I get a toe in the water on the next tune, then the next, then the next, always starting from song 1. So, it takes time, and time is hard to set aside. Why don't I put it on my iPod and listen while doing something else? Pfffft. I like sitting, listening, concentrating, reading the lyrics, etc. I AM OLD, ok? Sorry Sue. That means you are old too.

My review: I like it! This sounds as it should. It has some classic rock elements with modern production flare.

One of These Days and End of My Fear are probably my least favorite musically. But, the messages are very good. EOMF is very, very good.

You people screaming against Faith & Freedom shouldn't like this song. It is an American song. If you are not an American, you can't appreciate it, so it is natural that you do not like this pep talk song. I don't have a problem with anyone writing a song to their country, telling them, to rise up, stay strong, to preserve the way of life, practicing faith, freedom, God and country. There is nothing offensive to me. So, if you guys are offended, consider it in context and get over yourselves. Musically it is a fun song.
You sort of cut your review off or short; You really didn't say much about the 2nd half of the album. What does EOMF stand for?
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:31 am

End Of My Fear. I noticed on some releases it came out End of Fear.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by sue d. » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:09 pm

On some releases? What do you mean? The title is "End of Fear"
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:47 pm

I've only seen it titled as "End of Fear".
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:27 am

Digital...on line...someone's playlist I was going through.
0 x