TMW 25th anniv remastered released today

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: TMW 25th anniv remastered released today

Post by executioner » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:15 am

rexreed wrote:One of the things I disliked about J&K was the sound- reminded me of a Newsboys album. Good ole Peter Furler, first he tell Bob that guitar solos are out and then he crushes the audio.

I love the sound and vibe of this album, IMO its timeless. The solos are not there because unlike alot of guitarists Bob's solos have to flow seamlessly through the song. Bob has never been one to just throw a solo in the mix because thats what the producer wanted. Go listen to alot of different guitar solos and you will hear that they are not a natural fit for the song, Bob's solos are unlike that in they are so natural and flow within the song. If Bob felt that the JAH songs could fit a solo in there they would have them.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:35 pm

I believe that it was Greg Bailey who told me solos were not allowed.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:21 am

A few years back I emailed Bob about why no solos were used in JAH, and he gave me a one liner like "I didn't feel it" or something of that nature, so I always figured that Bob & Peter agreed to leave them out.
0 x

Timbo
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Timbo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:55 am

Beyond Belief has always been my favorite Petra record untill JAH came out. Now that one is my favorite. There is an "In your face-ness"about the lyrics and music on JAH that just sums up who Petra is and what they've always been about in spite of some past yahoo producers who have messed with their sound from time to time. Can you believe it's been almost 10 years since that record came out? and I agree it is timeless. Peter Furler was who they needed on that one to bring the Petra vibe back. In fact Furler's record On Fire is the most anointed record I've ever heard. Every song seems to be "Sharp and pointed to the soul, this is why we ROCK AND ROLL!......."
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:41 pm

"yahoo" producers? Petra has worked with some pretty good producers. Taylor, I mean Furler isn't exactly "A-list."
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:53 pm

If I had the money, and the men would do it, I would have Dan Huff and Mutt Lang produce and engineer a new record.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:59 pm

Just for grins I would like to hear what David Foster could do on a John Schlitt ballad. I second what Brent said.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:44 am

brent wrote:If I had the money, and the men would do it, I would have Dan Huff and Mutt Lang produce and engineer a new record.

Same for me; I've often wondered why Def Leppard no longer uses Mutt to produce their albums.
0 x

Timbo
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Timbo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:39 pm

Rexreed,

I said some, not all.
0 x

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:42 pm

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm buying the 25th anniversary edition of This Means War! simply because I loaned my old CD to a friend and she moved out of state with it. :(
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

greenchili
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by greenchili » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:37 am

There are programs out there that can "boost" your mp3 audio some without "compressing" or "normalizing" the volume. I've used a program called MP3gain in the past to do so. It's really nice cause it does it without losing any of the "dynamics" of the songs.

One of the nice things about the program is you can have it scan a group of songs or albums and adjust the volume based on the average of all the songs. Really good for when you want a playlist that consists of songs from different albums and different years. It will even let you know if "clipping" will occur and you can choose to override that or not.

Finally it allows you to back out of these changes if you so choose to do so later on. Only catch is you need an mp3 player that make use of the volume variable that MP3gain adjusts. But I've yet to run into any that don't use that. In fact I think apple eventually added that ablity into the ipod players at some point.
0 x
The choice is life. Or the lie that comes from hell..

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:20 am

St_Augustines_Pears wrote:As I mentioned in another thread, I'm buying the 25th anniversary edition of This Means War! simply because I loaned my old CD to a friend and she moved out of state with it. :(
Well, can you reeeeeeeally call someone who would move out of state without returning your CDs a friend? :)

I bought ALL of the original releases at Lifeway for $5 a piece, and the retirement DVD for $9.
0 x