Petra at Night of Joy x2 in 1985 are finally recorded.

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Petra at Night of Joy x2 in 1985 are finally recorded.

Post by adpetrafan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:49 am

Petra at Night of Joy x2 in 1985 are finally recorded. I am uploading them to youtube (very slowly) and will post links here when they are ready. They turned out better than I expected for their age, etc.
0 x

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Petra at Night of Joy x2 in 1985 are finally recorded.

Post by adpetrafan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:12 am

Here is the first one. There are some video issues at the start that can't be avoided, but the sound is good. Enjoy!

The second one has more close-ups, and is uploading now.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:00 am

Wow, amazing! Thanks for sharing.
0 x

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adpetrafan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:14 am

Here is number 2. Enjoy!

0 x

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adpetrafan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:22 am

For fun, here is one of the other things I shot that night. AD at Night of Joy at Disneyworld in 1985. (Frontierland stage.)

0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:28 am

These are all nice and very well done especially since its 27 yrs ago. I never cared for the drums on that tour; they made the songs from BTS sound even worse then they did on BTS.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adpetrafan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:46 am

And finally, the first 13 minutes or so of Michael W Smith at Night of Joy at Disneyworld in 1985. Sadly, I was asked to stop filming (after 3 hours of other shows...) and could not get the rest of this show. But something is better than nothing right?

0 x

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adpetrafan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:49 am

Interesting side note, I got a few Copyright claims from Youtube on the Petra videos. I guess it is so they can put ads on the videos:

"BEAT THE SYSTEM", musical composition administered by: The Harry Fox Agency, Inc.
"ADONAI", musical composition administered by: The Harry Fox Agency, Inc.

I even got one for Michael W. Smith:

"END OF THE BOOK", musical composition administered by: The Harry Fox Agency, Inc.

Does anyone know who "The Harry Fox Agency, Inc." is?
0 x

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adpetrafan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:59 am

executioner wrote:These are all nice and very well done especially since its 27 yrs ago.
Thanks. I am thrilled with the result of the capture.

I mentioned this a few years ago, but I should mention it again. These were shot before many people had personal video cameras. It was still way too cost prohibitive. I rented a massive video camera, massive tripod, and the accompanying tape deck to record these. I believe it cost me $150 [A LOT for me] to rent the equipment for two days, and it took three of us to lug it all around. The picture quality was great for it's day, but not much to speak of compared to what you can do these days.
executioner wrote:I never cared for the drums on that tour; they made the songs from BTS sound even worse then they did on BTS.
What don't you like specifically?
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:25 am

adpetrafan wrote:
executioner wrote:These are all nice and very well done especially since its 27 yrs ago.
Thanks. I am thrilled with the result of the capture.

I mentioned this a few years ago, but I should mention it again. These were shot before many people had personal video cameras. It was still way too cost prohibitive. I rented a massive video camera, massive tripod, and the accompanying tape deck to record these. I believe it cost me $150 [A LOT for me] to rent the equipment for two days, and it took three of us to lug it all around. The picture quality was great for it's day, but not much to speak of compared to what you can do these days.
executioner wrote:I never cared for the drums on that tour; they made the songs from BTS sound even worse then they did on BTS.
What don't you like specifically?
The eletronic popping sound of the snare; I saw this tour in Port Arthur, Tx and I remember being disappointed in the way the drums sounded. This was the first I heard of Greg leaving once the tour was completed, at this point I was really mad because I thought Petra was done.
0 x

DeSoto
Pethead
Pethead

Post by DeSoto » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Wow thanks a lot. Enjoying it...
0 x

cvs2kids
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: All Fired Up
Pethead since: 1983

Post by cvs2kids » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:15 am

This is terrific.

I am suprised you were even able to get that equipment in. And I was suprised Night of Joy has gone on that long.

What a bubble I have lived in!! :mrgreen:
0 x
Well done my good and faithful servant, you may enter with me into paradise.

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:44 am

If you listen to Captured in Time & Space, it's just in the first song (Beat the System) where there is an electronic snare drum. For the rest of the whole concert, it's all real drums (except for in one of the solo things) and if I might say, actually a really good live drum sound.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:33 am

Boray wrote:If you listen to Captured in Time & Space, it's just in the first song (Beat the System) where there is an electronic snare drum. For the rest of the whole concert, it's all real drums (except for in one of the solo things) and if I might say, actually a really good live drum sound.
Yes Beat The System was the extreme end of it, but it was throughout the whole with the snare sounding very artifical. As for most DVD/CD recorded concerts(CITAS is good and I've enjoyed it over the years) they just can't fully capture the complete live feel that you get by your actual attendance. I will tell you though that I am one of the few that has always loved live full length concert DVD/CD. One the best put out on the CCM side is the one Skillet did in 2007; I've loaned that one out t oso many people that have never even heard of Skillet, and after watching it have become big fans.
0 x

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adpetrafan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:49 am

cvs2kids wrote:This is terrific.

I am suprised you were even able to get that equipment in. And I was suprised Night of Joy has gone on that long.

What a bubble I have lived in!! :mrgreen:
I was surprised too. Very few people had personal video recording equipment at this point in time, so there were no restrictions mentioned about it. I decided to try it. I contacted a local video production house and the only equipment they would consider renting me was a (old) huge camera (think twice the size of a VHS one that had to sit on your shoulders in the early 90s) along with a separate VHS recording machine and battery that was about the size of a suitcase, and a tripod that weighed at least 75 pounds and allowed me to put the camera up at about 7 or so feet in the air. I guess because the equipment was SO big, and we acted so confidently, no one ever questioned us. (Well at least until 12 or so minutes in to the Michael W. Smith concert...)

We got to the main stage early and I chose a spot in the circular "park" facing the castle so I could gain a few inches on the crowd by being up on that sidewalk. I also made sure I was back and to the side a bit to avoid anyone accidentally tripping on the equipment. I (and my friends) spent a good deal of time asking people to move out of the way while I was filming.

The real fun began when we had to scramble to disconnect and move all the equipment between petra finishing and AD starting. Then when AD finished we had to take it all apart and move it back to the main castle stage. Thankfully Michael W. Smith was on that same stage as Petra so I did not have to move it again.

I am really glad we were able to capture some of the early part of the Beat the System tour. I hope everyone enjoys watching it. =)
0 x