40th Anniversary Tour 2013

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: 40th Anniversary Tour 2013

Post by executioner » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:15 am

rexreed wrote:If I read it correctly they are two different tours but the same Petra lineup?

Sir your assessment is correct, I think. I'm excited about the Schlitt/King James combo.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:51 am

I asked this question earlier to no response so I ask again, to the best of my knowledge J&H was not a huge commercial success, so why would any one think that another album would do any better?

I sure I am alone here, but I really don't listen to J&H that often, the more I have listened to it, the more it sounds rushed and quickly put together. It is not the best work of Petra. I listen to Wake Up Call far more often then I do J&H.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:12 pm

I'm not the leading expert, but if it sounds rushed, from what I've gathered from some of the posts here, that probably had something to do with the record company or whoever rushing to get it out. That sort of thing isn't uncommon in the entertainment industry. As Brent has said in his posts, it all boils down to money. There really is no way to know for sure how well a CD might do.

Everyone has their own preference. I happen to like it a lot. To me it's worth having just to hear Paul play drums, although I like it for other reasons too.
0 x

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:19 pm

Paul Simmons did not play the drums for the J&H recording, Peter Fuller of the Newsboys was the one playing. Just a little FYI.
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by Shell » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:34 pm

I was thinking of the Petra Farewell CD and the DVD, not J&H. :-) I still like J&H.
0 x

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:40 pm

Oh
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:37 pm

shawnpfan2010 wrote:I asked this question earlier to no response so I ask again, to the best of my knowledge J&H was not a huge commercial success, so why would any one think that another album would do any better?

I sure I am alone here, but I really don't listen to J&H that often, the more I have listened to it, the more it sounds rushed and quickly put together. It is not the best work of Petra. I listen to Wake Up Call far more often then I do J&H.

I'm a long time Petra fan(1980) and I have found that I'm one of the few fans from that era that really likes J&H and so much that it is in my top 5 Petra albums of all time and also has one of my top 5 Petra songs of all time in "Life As We Know It". I've always wanted Bob to make a no hold barred rock album and I do believe this is it. There are some factors that play into J&H feeling rushed; like the pace of the album, the length of the songs and the overall album length, and also the songs being somewhat simple note wise.

I seem to be alone somewhat in this next assessment but I think the sound & vibe of the album is timeless, some say its sound is compressed some and maybe it is but Peter Fuhler & Bob wanted that way so you would be able to feel the low end of Bob's guitar in your speakers. I don't fully understand how that would make that happen. Bob went into this wanting a whole new sound for the band which he got.

I also have found that the younger generation of Petra fans seem to like it more than the older generation which really like Petra more to have a balanced sound and be keyboard based like they were in the heyday in the 80's & early 90's. Bob has said it was a success sales & radio play wise compared to what Petra had done in the previous few years before that.

I do think if Petra was to bring out another album that it would probably feel a little like J&H, but maybe also something along the lines John Schlitt's TGC, but also I think maybe you would see an album that Petra wants to make and not some record exec telling them how and what they want.

My top 5 Petra albums are: J&H, WUC, PP2, BB, & MPTY what are your favorites or top 5?
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

shawnpfan2010
Pethead
Pethead

Post by shawnpfan2010 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:57 pm

My top 5 are, drum roll please, BTTR Live Expanded, WUC, NOTW, CIT&S, and believe it or not the self titled first Petra album.

J&H does have some really good songs on it, so I am not knocking it from that stand point, it just seems to lack music depth or something. The whole, no guitar solo thing, really hurts it for me. An album like that needed some real good guitar riffs and we didn't really get any of that. That whole album just seemed really simple, but maybe that is what they were going for.

Woulda Shoulda Coulda and Sacred Trust are two of my favorites off that album.

On a side note, I love the song We Hold Our Hearts Out To You, from No Doubt. That song and Enter In are probably the only two songs from that album that I really like. No Doubt to me was to techno sounding.
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:22 pm

For me, Jekyll and Hyde was great at the time because we finally got a new Petra album that really rocked, but over the long haul it hasn't stood up that well. I agree that it lacks musical depth for the most part, so it's gets old fast. However, I will say that Sacred Trust became one of my all time favorite Petra songs.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:43 pm

sue d. wrote:
I'm not sure if anyone realizes it but the 40th Anniversary Tour & Classic Rock Tour w/Asia, ELO, & Genesis are 2 different entities. Us Americans probably have a better chance of seeing the 40th Anniversary Tour over the Classic Rock Tour.
This is correct. Two different things, two different tours. And let's not forget that JOHN with HIS band is available too - as well as a possible John Schlitt/King James tour
I would rather see Petra's 40th Anniversary Tour (by themselves) than the Classic Rock Tour, but I'll take whatever comes to Iowa.

And the possible John Schlitt/King James tour? *does happy dance*
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Post by gman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:25 pm

I liked J&H. It was good record for what it was. A secular review labeled it a bad a$$ metal record. That's pretty good. I'm sad that the CD broke, though. Someday I'll replace it.
I thought about some of the previous comments about it being rushed, not standing the test of time, etc. I liken it to the many Newsboys albums during the Peter Furler years. Each one was designed to present of new chapter of their career, and sell really well for awhile, until they came out with something new. Each one didn't have to stand the test of time. Seems like J&H fits as an album from a band continuing to put out new material at a regular pace. If only they had continued to put out more stuff.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:25 pm

No guitar solos, simple drumming, sweet catchy tunes. Am I describing a Newsboys album or J&H?

Oh yeah- Sacred Trust is the one song I can listen to everyday for the rest of my life and not grow tired of it.
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them

Post by pmal » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:10 pm

JAH is awesome, definitely in the top 5 albums for me ... not in any order:

MPTY, TMW, OF, BB, JAH ...
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

HudsonPethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1997

Post by HudsonPethead » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:28 pm

Jekyll and Hyde is perfect.
One of the best Petra albuns for me.

For this tour, I think Petra would renew the set list, playing songs from all eras of the band, celebrating the 40 years.
Should have something new, new music, to awaken the interest of fans go to concerts.
0 x
https://t.me/pump_upp

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:14 pm

I would only go to a show if they had all new material and John Slick on keys. They really need something different to be interesting to me live. How many times can I watch the same thing since 2005?
0 x