Petra record or singles?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Petra record or singles?

Post by brent » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:21 am

The days of the CD are numbered. There is no reason to press them any longer, except for international markets without computers and internet access in every house. That said, many artists are finding it liberating and easier to put out songs, sometimes consistently throughout the year.

Would you still prefer a CD?
Where would you shop for your CD?
Where would you shop for your singles?
Would you rather have a wav/aiff file or low quality MP3?

Would you buy a Petra record packaged with a DVD or BR disc documenting the recording process?

If they did not have to format music for an album, with genre ratios, etc, they could do what they wanted. Would you prefer a record with:

All rock/hard rock?
All ballads?
50/50?
Some other ratio?
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: Petra record or singles?

Post by Preacherman777 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:33 am

Personally, I would still prefer to have a CD, but I would take new music from Petra any way I could get it.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:44 am

My first choice would be a CD, but would take it in DL form if that was the only way. I would pay to get some type of package CD/DVD that should be the process that goes into making an album. I would also be OK with Petra releasing singles throughout the year; it would be different but we would be getting new music.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:49 am

brent wrote:The days of the CD are numbered. There is no reason to press them any longer, except for international markets without computers and internet access in every house. That said, many artists are finding it liberating and easier to put out songs, sometimes consistently throughout the year.

Would you still prefer a CD?
Where would you shop for your CD?
Where would you shop for your singles?
Would you rather have a wav/aiff file or low quality MP3?

Would you buy a Petra record packaged with a DVD or BR disc documenting the recording process?

If they did not have to format music for an album, with genre ratios, etc, they could do what they wanted. Would you prefer a record with:

All rock/hard rock?
All ballads?
50/50?
Some other ratio?
On the ratio stand point I would lean towards 95% rock with a ballad thrown in here/there. I think over the years Petra's ballads have been hit/miss; they have some great ones but some really bad ones also.
0 x

LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1993

Post by LivingRock » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:50 am

Dude, I still listen to cassettes :mrgreen: Seriously though, I prefer CDs. Nothing like having a hard copy with a lyric sheet and band photos that I can get autographed and carry around in my car.
0 x
"Pethead" is not a title. It's a way of life.

http://pathofthecarpenter.blogspot.ca/

Markus
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Markus » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:03 pm

Hm... if i'm honestly, i would prefer a CD only as i'm collecting Petra CDs. CCM singles releases are hardly to buy in germany, so i have to buy album releases. And as i treat them as collectibles, i don't mind if its pure of ballads or rock songs. I prefer the rock songs.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:34 pm

LivingRock wrote:Dude, I still listen to cassettes :mrgreen: Seriously though, I prefer CDs. Nothing like having a hard copy with a lyric sheet and band photos that I can get autographed and carry around in my car.
I wish we had a like button on here. Classic.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:03 pm

LivingRock wrote:Dude, I still listen to cassettes
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1993

Post by LivingRock » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:13 pm

LOL Jonathan, suppose I had said I still listen to records :P
0 x
"Pethead" is not a title. It's a way of life.

http://pathofthecarpenter.blogspot.ca/

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:12 pm

It depends on the price for me: Downloads should be a bit less expensive than CDs and I prefer cheap. I would prefer a lossless format like flac but I really like bandcamp's approach where the buyer selects the format when downloading.

But it's all up to the artist really. If you want an album with some coherence for example. As most of you probably know, I sell some music myself. For my last project, I released singles as soon as a song was ready, but for my current project I'm holding on to all tracks and will release them on an download album all at once and not even provide full previews of the tracks.
0 x

petranite
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petranite » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:54 pm

I personally buy anything the guys from Petra make both as a group and solo. I feel it is an easy way to repay them for all they have brought into my life through their music. So regardless of whether I personally like the music I still buy it to support them. I am one of "those fans". However if given a preference I would LOVE a 100% rock album. Those songs are not just the songs I buy but the songs I listen to which is a big difference. Regardless though I would support either way even if it was a pet project that is way out in left field and they decided to do pink floyd phych rock consisting of a single 1 hour long song. My 2 cents. As for format I have always liked a physical CD personally but am cool either way. As for DVD Blu RAY I VOTE for BLU RAY and would value a project like that where they really talk and show the creative process not just some promotional video for a cd release.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:18 am

@Boray: Yep, giving full songs for preview is essentially giving it away. If you are a starving indie artist that is fine. But once people get something for free, they feel entitled and then harbor resentment for anyone trying to keep what is rightfully theirs with compensation. So, any previews should be a medley, possibly a live medley to keep it interesting. Nobody has done that before. Maybe I should patent it.

@petranite: Me too. I buy it all and then give it away to someone that might like it.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:22 am

I like the idea of 30 second clips or previews; it helps me to get to know the artist before buying. BTW I've never listened to those 30 second clips from Petra because I will always buy what they put out, even if after I get it I hate it(insert No Doubt & Double Take here)
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:35 am

GAAAWD Double Take SUUUUUUCKS! Hate it. That is one album I could not give away in good conscience. They completely mangle the melodies just to be different. That album was on par with taking a Ferrari to a cheap body shop and having them turn it into a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade float.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:48 am

brent wrote:GAAAWD Double Take SUUUUUUCKS! Hate it. That is one album I could not give away in good conscience. They completely mangle the melodies just to be different. That album was on par with taking a Ferrari to a cheap body shop and having them turn it into a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade float.

and then they get a trophy for it.. :shock:
0 x