Johns Petra 13 years ago.

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
blayze5150
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1985

Re: Johns Petra 13 years ago.

Post by blayze5150 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:53 pm

John was great, and I agree with Brent, but..

Pete Orta... what are you doing?!?!?!? CC Deville played Poison's stuff better drunk and high in the 80s on stage. Is he playing a Telecaster?!?!? For PETRA!!! Wouldn't he be more suited to go with a HSS Strat or a Les Paul? Intersting choice of instument (but his tone isn't bad... it could just be SOOOO much better!).
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:56 pm

Wait a minute! You probably missed the last leg of the Classic Petra Tour were all Bob played was a Telecaster last year. You obviously don't know a thing about guitars. Nothing wrong with a Tele, just listen to John 5 and see what a Tele can do. Teles have the basic design that made solid body guitars great for high gain rock, it's just that Country Music players favor it more, but it can be very versatile.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:50 pm

sue d. wrote:JOHN forget lyrics? Naw... he does NOT! :P

The Send Revival clip is definitely NOT a demo; it was from a live concert, as you said, by Lukas Jacobi, the one who had John sing in German on his EP/Enhanced CD-Rom. We have it right here for only $5: http://schlittshop.com/merch/wann-immer ... hn-schlitt It really is a unique CD to own as part of your Petra-related collection.
actually John is notorious for forgetting the words to his music. This is been well documented through the years by none other than CCM magazine!
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

blayze5150
Pethead
Pethead

Post by blayze5150 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:13 pm

fcollazo wrote:Wait a minute! You probably missed the last leg of the Classic Petra Tour were all Bob played was a Telecaster last year. You obviously don't know a thing about guitars. Nothing wrong with a Tele, just listen to John 5 and see what a Tele can do. Teles have the basic design that made solid body guitars great for high gain rock, it's just that Country Music players favor it more, but it can be very versatile.
I've played since 1988. Since then I habe owned: 4 Ibanez RG's, an Ibanez Paul Gilert, an Ibanez Reb Beach Model (best guitar I ever Played!), 2 Ibanez Joe Satriani Models, 4 BC Rich Warlocks, a BC Rich Gunslinger, 4 Fender Stratocasters, 2 ESPs (models escape me... I was young) and a Les Paul. I know a thing or two about guitars. That being said...
I Never got a tone from a Tele I liked, but because of that, I haven't played one very often. Just not my thing. Might have to try one again... ehhh.... nah, I'm happy with what I play. Prefer a Strat... some hate those on rock. Currently own a Les Paul Nitrous, Mexican Strat that I hooked up with a Jeff Beck Pickguard and an Ibanez RG2XXV (the Edge Zero Tremelo rocks!). Everytime I hear people talk about a Tele, I cringe. Just don't like the darn things... No trem... thin sound (maybe it's me, IDK.I know many great musicians swear by them). I'm also very partial to Ibanez. And yes, I did miss the last leg of that tour, but he's Bob: He makes any guitar sound good!
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:40 pm

blayze5150 wrote:
fcollazo wrote:Wait a minute! You probably missed the last leg of the Classic Petra Tour were all Bob played was a Telecaster last year. You obviously don't know a thing about guitars. Nothing wrong with a Tele, just listen to John 5 and see what a Tele can do. Teles have the basic design that made solid body guitars great for high gain rock, it's just that Country Music players favor it more, but it can be very versatile.
I've played since 1988, so I'll try really hard not to be offended by that. Never got a tone from a Tele I liked, but because of that, I haven't played one very often. Just not my thing. Might have to try one again... ehhh.... nah, I'm happy with what I play. Prefer a Strat... some hate those on rock. Own a Les Paul, Strat and Ibanez RG. Everytime I hear people talk about a Tele, I cringe. Just don't like the darn things... No trem... thin sound. And yes, I did miss the last leg of that tour, but he's Bob: He makes any guitar sound good!

I am not a guitar player, but something caught my eye in your response about the Tele "no trem... thin sound" This is funny because this is what I thought Bob sounded like on BTTR; it was very tinty with no meat behind it and thin with no layers. I think that style of play made the album come off as being bland and too popish. I've actually gone back and started listening to the original songs again and put BTTR off to the side because I just can't get behind the production of BTTR.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

blayze5150
Pethead
Pethead

Post by blayze5150 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:45 pm

executioner wrote:
blayze5150 wrote:
I've played since 1988, so I'll try really hard not to be offended by that. Never got a tone from a Tele I liked, but because of that, I haven't played one very often. Just not my thing. Might have to try one again... ehhh.... nah, I'm happy with what I play. Prefer a Strat... some hate those on rock. Own a Les Paul, Strat and Ibanez RG. Everytime I hear people talk about a Tele, I cringe. Just don't like the darn things... No trem... thin sound. And yes, I did miss the last leg of that tour, but he's Bob: He makes any guitar sound good!

I am not a guitar player, but something caught my eye in your response about the Tele "no trem... thin sound" This is funny because this is what I thought Bob sounded like on BTTR; it was very tinty with no meat behind it and thin with no layers. I think that style of play made the album come off as being bland and too popish. I've actually gone back and started listening to the original songs again and put BTTR off to the side because I just can't get behind the production of BTTR.
BTTR is just too... compressed and digital for my tastes. I like a polished sound... but hate a canned sound. It just didn't have the fire of the originals. I was glad to have it at first... but now, I only have "Too Big to Fail" on my Ipod.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:01 am

Back to the Rock has a narrow dynamic range, consistent with the "modern" sound that has been popular for the last decade or so. Look at the waveform of an older song and it has peaks and valleys. Look at a newer song and the waveform looks like a solid block across the timeline. Instead of music that moves and breaths, everything just sounds loud anymore.

That said, I do like Back to the Rock quite a lot.
0 x