More Petra?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Re: More Petra?

Post by brent » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:22 pm

zman7720000 wrote:
zman7720000 wrote:I am just so grieved that the classic line up is being left out completely.
The purpose of my previous post was not to fuel gossip and debate, simply to express one fan’s emotion. It’s probably obvious that I have great affection for Classic, but that’s not my only concern. This tour is being marketed as “”The 40th Anniversary Tour/CD.” For fans, which are the only ones who will be buying in, it suggests that it will represent the band’s full career! I know it has been reported that surprise guests will be performing, however to me that’s nothing more than a cameo role and is distasteful at best. I know Greg and Louie can be a pain, but they put 30 years into that band/ministry. I agree that the so called dream team would also have been better than what we are being sold! If this is a 40th anniversary tour/CD why not have GHF contribute? What about the PP2, DT, GF guys? My problem is with the promotion. If it looks like a Farewell reunion, sounds like a Farewell reunion, smells like a Farewell reunion, well then? I will not be going to see this band as marketed!
I must stop here and give honor where it is due Greg Bailey seems to be a real standup guy he has been their when needed for 10 years now, even worked with CP, how classy!
Ok, I hear all of that, but the average modern Petra fan knows Petra as fronted by John Schlitt. John is the voice most people associate with Petra. That harder sound is what most people associate with Petra. There are more people familiar with that music, because there is more of it and it resonated with more people back in the day.

John has been in the band longer, released more records, and been in front when the band was winning awards. I can't think of too many bands that have had anniversary tours with former lead singers when there is a current singer in the position. People kind of celebrate with the current line up. Anybody think of any? I can't.

Again, they are including people from those specific albums of the past. Read the posts.

FYI, why must a band of believers in harmony be forced to be unified with those who sow chords of strife? That is not scriptural. Bands don't HAVE to include anyone. If someone is a jerk, that is THEIR problem, not the bands, not the fans. Too bad if the fans don't like it. They don't have to live with the people in close proximity, and deal with all of the other entanglements of their lives that you fans do not see while watching the 45 minute "show" on stage. Some of you are not musicians, in bands, so it seems so simple to you. It isn't. Everyone, even the spouses, the crew, the management, has an affect on musicianship, interpersonal dynamics, etc, etc. There is more to it than calling a guy up, having him show up to the show, do the gig and go home. It is not that easy, especially when some people think the show is all about them, and they make decisions reflecting that mindset.

Look, the band is there for the fans, but they are there for themselves more than anything. They have something within them that MAKES them do what they do. Be it a God thing, a music thing, a monetary thing, or a combination of the three. There is a driving force that will not let them quit. Like all successful ministries, businesses, volunteer organizations, there must be synergy, unity and accountability. When someone goes rogue, that person forfeits his/her position to someone who is a team player. It is not fair to expect Petra to subject themselves, their families, etc to people who are not good for the welfare of everyone involved. That's all I will say.
Last edited by brent on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

cndfogie
Pethead
Pethead

Post by cndfogie » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:53 pm

I gotta say Brent. I agree with the last comment you made wholeheartedly. People have no idea what goes into getting on a stage. Let alone on a stage representing a ministry. Great post. Well Said. Be watchful it doesn't disappear :lol:
0 x

St_Augustines_Pears
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: GOD FIXATION
Pethead since: 1999

Post by St_Augustines_Pears » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:03 pm

sue d. wrote:A few details.... via Steve Blair, Catalog Sales & Marketing at Capitol Christian Distribution (formerly EMI):

Had a great time today working and hanging out with two music legends, John W. Schlitt and Bob Hartman of Petra. They've toured the world, won Grammys, GMA Awards and sold over 7 million records. We're working with them to release, "40th Anniversary," a 2cd set that will not only chronicle their storied career, but will include the bands first new recording in a decade!

Yes, the song is called "Still Thirsty," written by Bob Hartman. The demo was recorded today, and will be a part of the aforementioned compilation.
Any idea when this will be released?

Please, please, please have "St. Augustine's Pears" from God Fixation and any song from Revival included on this. Throw in "The Longing" from Double Take and I will be ecstatic! :D

Hey a guy can dream, right? :wink:
0 x
THOMAS R. LEHMER 6/7/44-2/11/05.

"This journey seems so long, as I await the dawn...all alone and so weary" - Petra's "Over The Horizon"

BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

Post by BriGuyPEI » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:51 pm

So, Greg B finally gets a chance to play in studio. A cynic would note that two of the four band members on this new Petra single have never played on a Petra studio project before. I for one am looking forward to it. Too Big To Fail is one of my favourite Petra songs ever, so Bob's definitely still got it.

I just hope we can buy the new song without having to buy a full compilation of songs I already have a several times over.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:35 pm

St_Augustines_Pears wrote:
sue d. wrote:A few details.... via Steve Blair, Catalog Sales & Marketing at Capitol Christian Distribution (formerly EMI):

Had a great time today working and hanging out with two music legends, John W. Schlitt and Bob Hartman of Petra. They've toured the world, won Grammys, GMA Awards and sold over 7 million records. We're working with them to release, "40th Anniversary," a 2cd set that will not only chronicle their storied career, but will include the bands first new recording in a decade!

Yes, the song is called "Still Thirsty," written by Bob Hartman. The demo was recorded today, and will be a part of the aforementioned compilation.
Any idea when this will be released?

Please, please, please have "St. Augustine's Pears" from God Fixation and any song from Revival included on this. Throw in "The Longing" from Double Take and I will be ecstatic! :D

Hey a guy can dream, right? :wink:
From what Steve Blair says it sounds like it could be just the one song. I'm hoping for more. Hopefully they'll release the song as a single on iTunes or something similar, so people can get it without having to buy another Ultimate Collection. (Steve is actually the guy who was responsible for sending out the replacement discs when they messed up the Ultimate Collection - they put I Love You Lord on the CD instead of I Love The Lord.) Just pasting a 40th Anniversary logo on the cover, doesn't make this a good product. I'm very much looking forward to the new song, but like everyone, I'm hoping there'll be more.

The single is set to be released on June 18th. That's probably going to be the release date for the compilation album then.
0 x

blayze5150
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1985

Post by blayze5150 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:44 pm

I will be into this. Even for just one song. If it is successful....

For those mourning the status of Classic Petra: There have to be some GXV fans out there, but let's be honest with ourselves. John Schlitt has been the voice of Petra for twice as long as Greg was. The Classic Line-up was together long enough to make a studio album (Beat the System) and a live album and video (Captured in Time and Space). I hardly consider these guys a true reflection of all of Petra's years together as a band. Most Petra fans want the "On Fire, Petra Praise, Beyond Belief, Unseen Power, Wake Up Call" line-up to return (I know I do!), but that isn't in the cards. Classic Petra was the same as if ACDC announced a Classic ACDC tour with Dave Evans on vocals. I don't see that happening (and I know Greg was with Petra alot longer). Everytime I heard "Too Big to Fail," all I could think is "John should be singing this." I do hope they shake the live set up a bit (I've heard the Farewell Album enough!). If it could be worked out, John Lawry would be an awesome addition to the tour. No disrespect intended toward Louie, but something I don't know about, nor care to know about, exists with him and the current line-up of the band, and I don't know about the new guy, but I liked Paul Simmons better, anyway. Greg Baily is a very talented musician, and seeing him live on the Farewell tour really impressed me. Petra moves forward, and I'd rather see this than a "Classic" line-up that I'm having trouble getting behind.

So, in short... YIPPEEE!!! Petra's back!
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:04 am

Well, for my involvement in all of this I am just going to say that I find it very interesting that Sue has not stepped up to confirm or answer any of the questions I posed to her. When you have people like Brent and Exe out there spreading gossip, it would seem to me to be the better part of decency and discretion, when you are someone officially involved with any incarnation of the band, to either remain totally quiet or else not chime with statements like they "they are right" if you are not willing to specifically confirm exactly what gossip they are right about. That, combined with seeing the way that so many people here have come to the defense of couple of people who are spreading negative gossip and the cruelty with which they treat those who don't get in line with "correct" point of view, has left me very disillusioned with this place. That's the last thing I have to say. I suppose Exe or somebody will probably delete it but for what it's worth, there it is.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:34 am

I did not spread gossip, jack. I gave my pre-qualified personal opinion. It was based on knowing trends, knowing bits and pieces of the truth, but most of all knowing personalities and they affect business and relationships.

Gossip would be me stating something personal about someone specifically, which I have not done. Exec hasn't done that either. If we have have it was not in public and you wouldn't know about it :).

YOU thought you had an inside skinny on something, and you gave statements based on the information you had from talking to people. We did the same. We were right, and told you we were right. You didn't believe us. Sue confirmed it.

Sue is not the forum police. She doesn't get paid enough money to sit and edit people's posts all day. Aside from that, it is the position of most intelligent arts and managers that addressing every little thing, good or bad, is counterproductive. If someone makes an outlandish claim, my human instinct is to post facts, make the accuser out to be the liar he/she is, and prove I am right. That is human nature. But, in show biz, that is NOT what people do. Once accusations are validated with a response, the public sees the smoke and senses a fire. It happens here.

Sue knows more than what she can say at any given time. She does a good job at that.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:44 am

brent wrote:I did not spread gossip, jack. I gave my pre-qualified personal opinion. It was based on knowing trends, knowing bits and pieces of the truth, but most of all knowing personalities and they affect business and relationships.

Gossip would be me stating something personal about someone specifically, which I have not done. Exec hasn't done that either. If we have have it was not in public and you wouldn't know about it :).

YOU thought you had an inside skinny on something, and you gave statements based on the information you had from talking to people. We did the same. We were right, and told you we were right. You didn't believe us. Sue confirmed it.

Sue is not the forum police. She doesn't get paid enough money to sit and edit people's posts all day. Aside from that, it is the position of most intelligent arts and managers that addressing every little thing, good or bad, is counterproductive. If someone makes an outlandish claim, my human instinct is to post facts, make the accuser out to be the liar he/she is, and prove I am right. That is human nature. But, in show biz, that is NOT what people do. Once accusations are validated with a response, the public sees the smoke and senses a fire. It happens here.

Sue knows more than what she can say at any given time. She does a good job at that.

Ditto!!
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:16 am

Nice save, Matthew RJ! lol

Brent, thanks for the props. You're right - I don't sit on the computer all day long, watching for what people are saying. I DO sit on the computer all day, but I'm working to keep John out and about.

Preacher, I am not nor ever was an official rep of Classic Petra. I represent John, and Petra now too, along with Dean Capone. Therefore I'm NOT in a position to make any official statements here, or anywhere else, on what happened with Classic or any of the fellas involved. Do I know what was going on? Yes, and basically confirmed what Brent had posted (with the exception of Bob apologizing...). I can go no further with it.

I understand your confusion, frustration and everything else. But it is what it is... will Classic play again? Who knows ...anything is possible.

But right now John & Bob were in the studio, recording a new Petra song - who would have ever thought?
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:23 am

sue d. wrote:Nice save, Matthew RJ! lol

Brent, thanks for the props. You're right - I don't sit on the computer all day long, watching for what people are saying. I DO sit on the computer all day, but I'm working to keep John out and about.

Preacher, I am not nor ever was an official rep of Classic Petra. I represent John, and Petra now too, along with Dean Capone. Therefore I'm NOT in a position to make any official statements here, or anywhere else, on what happened with Classic or any of the fellas involved. Do I know what was going on? Yes, and basically confirmed what Brent had posted (with the exception of Bob apologizing...). I can go no further with it.

I understand your confusion, frustration and everything else. But it is what it is... will Classic play again? Who knows ...anything is possible.

But right now John & Bob were in the studio, recording a new Petra song - who would have ever thought?

Thanks Sue maybe now we can get back to the topic at hand and stop worrying about what happened in the past. Remember "Don't Look Back" but look to the future and to "Taste & See" what God is going to do.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Jan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Jan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:31 am

Matthew RJ wrote:Did you guys hear there's a new Petra song coming out?
:lol: YES!! Can't wait!!
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:37 pm

There's a new Petra song coming out? What are the facts, Petramaniacs?
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:55 pm

So Sue, does that mean that Greg and Christian are not playing in the new song?
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:01 pm

Well, it had been awhile since there was really a "this Petra vs. that Petra" or "who is doing what to who" debate. It was probably about time for another one.

I for one am glad they are back in the studio and look forward to hearing the finished product.
0 x