40th Anniversary Tour

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

40th Anniversary Tour

Post by fcollazo » Wed May 08, 2013 7:03 pm

What happened with the tour?
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Re: 40th Anniversary Tour

Post by fcollazo » Wed May 08, 2013 8:56 pm

I guess nobody cares anymore haa?

It's sad.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Wed May 08, 2013 10:59 pm

I'm waiting patiently to hear some dates.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu May 09, 2013 8:38 am

From my understanding the plan is to play several festivals in the summer with some type of tour coming for fall/winter. I can't over estimate on how important it is to get the word out about the new single "Still Thirsty"; this is very important in order to have any type of tour here in the U.S.A. John's TGC has had some radio success with 2 top 30 singles, so this is possible but we as Petheads need to get the word out. I will say that its looking like tour dates will be more in Europe and maybe South America then here in the U.S.A.

BTW I know some here and around that are Petra/CP fans may not be 100% behind this "40th Anniversary Tour" because certain band members are not involved and such, but please don't let that stop you from supporting the band because this could very well be it for Petra in any way, shape, or form if this does not do well. I will let you know(probably already know) that I was not the biggest fan of Classic Petra, but that didn't stop me from buying several BTTR CD's, DVD's, T-shirts, and also attending 2 shows because I didn't like the lineup or who was in the band. I would EXPECT ANY TRUE PETRA FAN TO DO THE SAME!!!!
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Shell » Thu May 09, 2013 10:33 am

There is probably a lot more to planning a tour than the majority of us might realize. I might prefer some Petra lineups over others, but I can honestly say I like something about every lineup. Every Petra lineup has made its contribution to the band. I will be at as many shows as I can make it to and buy whatever CDs they release. I will probably get a T shirt or two also. 8)
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Thu May 09, 2013 2:44 pm

executioner wrote:From my understanding the plan is to play several festivals in the summer with some type of tour coming for fall/winter. I can't over estimate on how important it is to get the word out about the new single "Still Thirsty"; this is very important in order to have any type of tour here in the U.S.A. John's TGC has had some radio success with 2 top 30 singles, so this is possible but we as Petheads need to get the word out. I will say that its looking like tour dates will be more in Europe and maybe South America then here in the U.S.A.

BTW I know some here and around that are Petra/CP fans may not be 100% behind this "40th Anniversary Tour" because certain band members are not involved and such, but please don't let that stop you from supporting the band because this could very well be it for Petra in any way, shape, or form if this does not do well. I will let you know(probably already know) that I was not the biggest fan of Classic Petra, but that didn't stop me from buying several BTTR CD's, DVD's, T-shirts, and also attending 2 shows because I didn't like the lineup or who was in the band. I would EXPECT ANY TRUE PETRA FAN TO DO THE SAME!!!!
I agree with what you're saying. Petra is an idea, not a band.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu May 09, 2013 8:09 pm

Meh. People buy people, not ideas. That idea thing doesn't sell. Specific members change how the music is played, how the music sounds, how the band gels, etc. Look at the John Schlitt solo Petra band years of the 90s. Completely different music and vibe live. Less prestige. It means something more to me to have Bob and John and the other key guys up there, because those people and their lives represent something that transcends and yet greatly influences music. After Bob and John are dead in the ground, I will not be purchasing any Petra music played by some other people.
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Thu May 09, 2013 10:07 pm

Dates are listed on John's site: http://www.johnwschlitt.com/fans/tour.htm or on Petra's: http://petraband.com/content/petra-tour ... ival-slate

There are more dates in the works...
0 x

r_karlsson22
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire
Pethead since: 1996

Post by r_karlsson22 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:59 am

Can't wait to see setlist, photos and videos from the show yesterday! :P
0 x
https://twitter.com/RickardWidgren
http://AboutRickard.com
Instagram: rickardwidgren

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:33 pm

Personally, I think this tour is being promoted in a deceptive way. There are two shows right now in MN and I could have taken in one or both, but the promotions I've seen are using pictures of Classic Petra and John Schlitt Petra with the Classic guys. They don't seem to want to be honest about the fact that they don't have anything to offer the fans that would truly make this a 40th Anniversary Tour. It's really just another Farewell Petra tour/mini tour or whatever it is and so since they are not being honest about that, I refuse to take in these shows or support what they are doing. Let Farewell Petra stand or fall on it's own merits just as Classic Petra had to, rather than trying to rip off the interest in the more classic versions of the band.
0 x
If you like Petra you might like my music. You can download it free.

http://www.godlychristianmusic.com/Musi ... &name=Mike and Martha Tifft

zak89
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Petra Praise 2
Pethead since: 2002

Post by zak89 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:58 pm

The conflating of Classic Petra and "40th Anniversary" Petra is unfortunate, although I wouldn't be surprised if some promoters are genuinely confused - I don't think many people realized that Classic Petra has essentially ground to halt. But I don't think there's anything dishonest at all in the Farewell lineup putting on the 40th anniversary tour - Farewell Petra is Petra, in the same form that retired in 2005 (minus Paul, regrettably).

There's no way to please everybody in this case because we have at least three distinct lineups that most fans recognize and almost everyone considers one to be "the" Petra they most love. Ideally we'd get a "super tour" that would include all three, but that's not going to happen - possibly for personal reasons, but also because the likelihood of getting that many people - almost all of whom have moved on and have their own lives post-Petra - together to reacquaint, rehearse and prepare is effectively nil. And that doesn't even take into account the logistics and funding of such an event. I doubt they could generate enough interest to cover their own costs - lets face it, Petra, in any incarnation, isn't going to draw the crowds that a KLOVE sponsored festival headlined by the Newsboys and a half dozen asserted CCM acts will.

Don't get me wrong, I have a special place in my heart for the '90-93 "Dream Team". But just the same, Farewell Petra is Petra. It's the closing form of a band with a 30 year legacy and innumerable personnel changes along the way. It includes two of the most dedicated and influential members of the band's history, and a couple younger guys who likely have much more flexible schedules and are more able to travel. I think Greg Bailey was a great addition and I'm happy to see him in the lineup, where he belongs. It's the most practical lineup and its true (75% true at least :P) to the final Petra incarnation - and personally I think Bob is right in believing that J&H showed a band that had hardly exhausted their potential.

I know I'm not saying anything new here, but it took me awhile to sort out my thoughts on this subject, and it just happened to spill over now. :P Feel free to ignore me. :)
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:27 pm

I'm not saying that Farewell Petra isn't Petra, I'm just saying it's being promoted in a dishonest way. Using that name for the tour and promoting it with the pictures they are using is just flat out wrong. You could say it's just the promoters, but one of the pictures I'm referring to is even being used as the icon pic for the Petra Facebook page that Sue posts to, so it's not just some confused promoters. People seeing these promotions are the ones who are confused, thinking that they are going to see the Classic guys and John Schlitt all together, and that's not just an assumption on my part. People are posting replies stating that that's what they are thinking they are doing to see. That's probably what this tour should have been, but if that can't be the case, they need to be honest about that and promote it for what it actually is. Nothing more than the most modern version of Petra.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:37 pm

Are they misrepresenting the history of the band or are they misrepresenting who is playing? Are they saying Volz is singing or something?
0 x

Preacherman777
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Preacherman777 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:40 pm

It's photos they are using in the promotional materials. Just look at the Facebook page and you should see what I'm talking about. Look at the promotion being used for the show in Brooklyn Park, MN. It's the same picture as is being used for the Facebook icon. There is another picture on the Facebook page that shows who is actually playing in the band right now, but that picture is not even being used at all in the promotions.

https://www.facebook.com/Petraband?hc_location=stream
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:56 pm

Weeeeell, I see your point. It could be misleading.
0 x