GXV recent solo performance w/Louie

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Re: GXV recent solo performance w/Louie

Post by rexreed » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:53 pm

I am waiting for someone to post something about why it is wrong for Greg or John to be performing rock music, because there are a bunch of people that still believe it is not "godly." If the dress causes a person to stumble, I still blame the stumbler and not the article of clothing, which in this case is not even as revealing as a volleyball uniform.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:11 pm

rexreed wrote:I am waiting for someone to post something about why it is wrong for Greg or John to be performing rock music, because there are a bunch of people that still believe it is not "godly." If the dress causes a person to stumble, I still blame the stumbler and not the article of clothing, which in this case is not even as revealing as a volleyball uniform.
Its not the dress I'm questioning its the perverse dancing and the lyrical content of the song and why a Christian father would be not only ok with it but there to support it; The only thing they were missing was the pole. BTW Paul is clear about the ones who make someone stumble.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

mikey32187
Pethead
Pethead

Post by mikey32187 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:26 pm

executioner wrote:
rexreed wrote:I am waiting for someone to post something about why it is wrong for Greg or John to be performing rock music, because there are a bunch of people that still believe it is not "godly." If the dress causes a person to stumble, I still blame the stumbler and not the article of clothing, which in this case is not even as revealing as a volleyball uniform.
Its not the dress I'm questioning its the perverse dancing and the lyrical content of the song and why a Christian father would be not only ok with it but there to support it; The only thing they were missing was the pole. BTW Paul is clear about the ones who make someone stumble.
Correct it was extremely inappropriate. To be honest with you though I am not entirely sure that Greg was all that comfortable up there, he certainly didn't look that way from time to time.
0 x
Faith is our belief in God, doctrine is what we believe about God

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adpetrafan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:31 pm

executioner wrote:
You - turning this in to stripping - disgust me. You see what you want to see. What you fail to see is that your type is a big part of what most of the people I talk to about Christianity don't want anything to do with.

This is a video taken by an audience member, not a Greg Volx/Petra production. You know next to nothing about the context, or the reasons Greg did not leave the stage - which he clearly did not plan to be on. As has been stated before, the song choice was poor, but you keep beating the horse...

Judge on! But remember, Jesus came from a line of murdereds, cheaters, etc and was happy to hang out with prostitues and thieves. You are trying WAY too hard to make this a far more evil thing it is and I believe you are showing your true motivation which has nothing to do with God.
0 x

Dev
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1981

Post by Dev » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:57 pm

executioner wrote:

***Ex, you're so funny. For someone who condemned both instances, you're still going way out of your way to "prove" Greg was somehow "worse" than John. I seriously doubt God sees one of these two instances as any better, innocuous or sinful than the other. They were both a poor choice by equally Christian men who could cause someone to stumble. Although, since you've nearly broken your neck tripping all over the excuses you've made for John, I will mention that Greg's spontaneous performance was for a small group and the only people likely to see it were those in attendance and the 10 or so viewers who might catch it on YouTube. John's performance, however, was thoughtfully considered and done in memorium for future generations to take seriously as something important that happened and should be remembered in the music world for posterity.

In an earlier post you said John's performance wasn't as bad because you couldn't really understand the lyrics anyway. Huh??? According to you, you didn't know the lyrics of Greg's song either until Sue posted them. Which why did she do that if not cast Greg in a negative light? Just asking?

If we're going to use your logic and John's performance is somehow better and more OK because he really thought about it before getting up there to sing about drugs and beer and it wasn't so awful because you couldn't really understand the words anyway, then I'd like to point out that some people could be way more offended by glorifying drugs than they ever could be because of short dresses. But I'm not offended by either of them because as much as try not to, I'll probably offend someone sometime and I hope to be forgiven, so I'm going to forgive them (if they even care), but not make excuses for either of them, either.
0 x

Dev
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Dev » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:18 pm

executioner wrote:
rexreed wrote: BTW Paul is clear about the ones who make someone stumble.
Yes, and Jesus also mentioned you might want to be careful before throwing rocks.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:22 pm

adpetrafan wrote:
executioner wrote:
You - turning this in to stripping - disgust me. You see what you want to see. What you fail to see is that your type is a big part of what most of the people I talk to about Christianity don't want anything to do with.

This is a video taken by an audience member, not a Greg Volx/Petra production. You know next to nothing about the context, or the reasons Greg did not leave the stage - which he clearly did not plan to be on. As has been stated before, the song choice was poor, but you keep beating the horse...

Judge on! But remember, Jesus came from a line of murdereds, cheaters, etc and was happy to hang out with prostitues and thieves. You are trying WAY too hard to make this a far more evil thing it is and I believe you are showing your true motivation which has nothing to do with God.
Well the video which I've seen 2 times disgusts me and is repulsive.

My type, Well I'm not one to think that everything is rosy in the world and REFUSE to see the sin in the world via rose colored stained glass windows.

I know enough about the content to know there is NOTHING right or Godly about this video. If Greg wasn't on that stage then we wouldn't have to worry about the context.

I'm not judging and Jesus chose to hang out(in a sinless way) with those types because he/was perfect and is God's Son and was setting the example, do you see any Christian example in the video?

SIR you don't know my true motivation and are sadly mistaken by my posts. I see both videos as mistakes and I'm sorry to offend you but I tell it like it is and don't pretend to be anything I'm not.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:28 pm

Yeah Exe. You sound like a person that would not let a Gay person enter the church until they completely repent and change their ways.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:35 pm

Exe, what about the impact that the two Greg tunes performed that night had on those in attendance? I thinkthat alone was worth it. When I had my Christian Rock band, we had the mosy impact in bars and secular venues, not the church were some people go to get entertained.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:38 pm

Dev wrote:
executioner wrote:

***Ex, you're so funny. For someone who condemned both instances, you're still going way out of your way to "prove" Greg was somehow "worse" than John. I seriously doubt God sees one of these two instances as any better, innocuous or sinful than the other. They were both a poor choice by equally Christian men who could cause someone to stumble. Although, since you've nearly broken your neck tripping all over the excuses you've made for John, I will mention that Greg's spontaneous performance was for a small group and the only people likely to see it were those in attendance and the 10 or so viewers who might catch it on YouTube. John's performance, however, was thoughtfully considered and done in memorium for future generations to take seriously as something important that happened and should be remembered in the music world for posterity.

In an earlier post you said John's performance wasn't as bad because you couldn't really understand the lyrics anyway. Huh??? According to you, you didn't know the lyrics of Greg's song either until Sue posted them. Which why did she do that if not cast Greg in a negative light? Just asking?

If we're going to use your logic and John's performance is somehow better and more OK because he really thought about it before getting up there to sing about drugs and beer and it wasn't so awful because you couldn't really understand the words anyway, then I'd like to point out that some people could be way more offended by glorifying drugs than they ever could be because of short dresses. But I'm not offended by either of them because as much as try not to, I'll probably offend someone sometime and I hope to be forgiven, so I'm going to forgive them (if they even care), but not make excuses for either of them, either.

Sue can and will speak for herself. At first I tried to justify John's video but have since I believe 3 times have said on how wrong the video is. John's video is wrong but most can't even understand the lyrics and unlike Greg's video their is no "eye candy" on stage. It's a proven fact visual stays with the memory a lot longer than audio(which is another subject in itself) and I do believe Greg's video can be more harmful(for me) than John's and that is why I feel the way I do. My motivation was questioned in another post and it has nothing to do with who is who it has to do with what is right and wrong and probably the reason why I continue on is because most here continue to sugar coat sin like its nothing. I'm out and will choose to refrain from this for now on.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:40 pm

fcollazo wrote:Yeah Exe. You sound like a person that would not let a Gay person enter the church until they completely repent and change their ways.
You know me not; I lead a group at our church that deals especially with people either coming out of that lifestyle or is at least trying.
0 x

adpetrafan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by adpetrafan » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:05 pm

executioner wrote:...I do believe Greg's video can be more harmful(for me) than John's...
Of course it is NOT Greg's video. Greg probably doesn't know anything about it.
0 x

mikey32187
Pethead
Pethead

Post by mikey32187 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:19 pm

adpetrafan wrote:
executioner wrote:

0 x
Faith is our belief in God, doctrine is what we believe about God

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:25 pm

So it breaks down something like this-
Some of us think both John and Greg made a huge mstake singing in their respective videos
Some think John was OK, but Greg was wrong
Some think Greg was duped into being on stage by his "stripper looking" daughters
Some think John and Greg are both OK with the video performances

did I miss a viewpoint?

Has anyone had their mind changed yet? In the past some here have a real problem with music that is secular. I wonder if that is the real issue here?
0 x

Dev
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Dev » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:29 pm

executioner wrote: My type, Well I'm not one to think that everything is rosy in the world and REFUSE to see the sin in the world via rose colored stained glass windows.
It's just excusable if John is doing the singing. LOL
0 x