Can Petra make a comeback

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: Can Petra make a comeback

Post by executioner » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:34 pm

Daniel wrote:Man people attacking Brent, he is just being honest and practical.

For me Petra ended at No Doubt, I really like this album. I followed Petra until Jekyll & Hyde which was a silver lining after years of bad lineups and music.
I think if there was a reunion of members of the band from any of the linups from 1986 until 1995 I would be excited. IIguys was cool, but the Petra reunion now is pretty much IIguys because people are only are there to see John and Bob.

Here is the fix:

key ingredients:
Ronny, John L, Louie
or
Mark, John L, Louie
or even
Ronny, Cooper,Louie

at the end of the day it's not Petra without LOUIE

I love Louie and he is card & hoot to be around, but like most drummers if everything is not right he has a tendency to show his displeasure at the expense of everyone around him. I know some in the industry say "hey its just Louie being Louie" but does that make it right? Classic Petra was somewhat of a second chance for him & Greg, but time just can't change all things. Very little from the outside had anything to do with Classic Petra's life span being cut short. IMO I'd be shocked if we ever saw Louie or Greg back with a Petra that has anything to do with John or Bob, but all things are possible with God so praying is are only hope.
Even though I would love to see Ronny or/and Mark slide into the role as bass player for the 40th Anniversary Tour I know that Bob & John are totally committed to Greg Bailey being the current bass player and he was actually their first choice for this. I do know that Ronny, Mark, & John L were asked to come in for select shows when this tour gets going, but do not know if they have agreed or accepted; these three were the only former members that were asked to join the band in some form for the Tour.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:11 pm

Daniel wrote:

What can we do as fans to get these guys back together other than pray?
Maybe prayer is what we need to do...
Last edited by zman7720000 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:15 pm

zman7720000 wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Maybe prayer is we need to do...
Yup... I do feel guilty praying for this though.

There has to be a magic number $ to get these guys together.
0 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead

Post by zman7720000 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Daniel wrote:
zman7720000 wrote:
Daniel wrote:

LOL, Yes there probably is!
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:35 pm

zman7720000 wrote:
Daniel wrote:
zman7720000 wrote:
Daniel wrote:

LOL, Yes there probably is!
$40k for one night wouldn't do it a couple of years ago. I tried.
0 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead

Post by zman7720000 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:43 pm

Each or for the band? I would say 100k to 250k each would get their hineys on the stage!
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:22 pm

Total...which was 34k more than they were fetching as the current line up.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:44 pm

I know of a promoter and the owner of 89.7 PowerFM that tried back in 2008 to get the dream team together for a 2 show set in Dallas in the $100k+ area and had looked at plans to make some type of live DVD out of it, but only a couple of members seemed mildly interested and two of the members never even responded to anything sent to them asking if they were interested. This promoter said this thing never got anywhere because even the ones that were interested refused to contact the others(when asked) to see if they could convince them to join in. I will say I know Bob and if he don't want to do it no money in the world will make him want to do it.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:10 am

executioner wrote:I know of a promoter and the owner of 89.7 PowerFM that tried back in 2008 to get the dream team together for a 2 show set in Dallas in the $100k+ area and had looked at plans to make some type of live DVD out of it, but only a couple of members seemed mildly interested and two of the members never even responded to anything sent to them asking if they were interested. This promoter said this thing never got anywhere because even the ones that were interested refused to contact the others(when asked) to see if they could convince them to join in. I will say I know Bob and if he don't want to do it no money in the world will make him want to do it.
It isn't about the money for many. Some times it is about the people, who bring baggage. Baggage cannot be changed (for long) with money. Every dog returns to its poop.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:11 pm

brent wrote:
executioner wrote:I know of a promoter and the owner of 89.7 PowerFM that tried back in 2008 to get the dream team together for a 2 show set in Dallas in the $100k+ area and had looked at plans to make some type of live DVD out of it, but only a couple of members seemed mildly interested and two of the members never even responded to anything sent to them asking if they were interested. This promoter said this thing never got anywhere because even the ones that were interested refused to contact the others(when asked) to see if they could convince them to join in. I will say I know Bob and if he don't want to do it no money in the world will make him want to do it.
It isn't about the money for many. Some times it is about the people, who bring baggage. Baggage cannot be changed (for long) with money. Every dog returns to its poop.
Any artist that has been around for a while will have some type of baggage that's just our imperfect nature; I know for a fact that the John/Louie problem has been put to bed by both, but the results of the relationship most likely will never recover; so having them on stage together I truly do believe will never happen.
0 x

curt
Pethead
Pethead

Post by curt » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:04 pm

If they don't want to tour with the dream team lineup, I don't think there is much hope left for a comeback.

However they might tour with this lineup save one of the original members. I would show up if there was a replacement for Louie, Ronny or Lawry. But the whole thing needed to be thought of as a going back to the classics, perhaps even playing full lenght records, so it wouldn't be too much of a greatest hits which we've heard so many times. I they could get 4 of the 5 guys to play, it would still be the dream team in my world, or at least close enough. I can say for myself and for all my friends that we lost interest as the dream team disbanded and we have always said that Petra should quit and come back big time with the "original" lineup. Original meaning dream team. Time for them to move on.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:51 pm

Greg is a great guy!
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:50 am

brent wrote:Greg is a great guy!

So true if everyone knew Greg Bailey and knew his heart he would be everyone's first choice just as he has been Bob's & John's first choice. He has been in the Petra Family now for 12 years(longer than any other bass player)
0 x

superfly
Pethead
Pethead

Post by superfly » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:49 pm

And he's a great singer...listen to his harmonies on the mellow medley on Farewell. He's the best back-up singer they've had since Mark Kelly.
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:01 pm

Brent is looking at things from a marketing point of view and he's right. Most of the fans here are looking at things like a fan and not from a business side of things. That's not a bad thing, but at the same time you have to understand, fans want their artists to keep going forever and ever..that's fine, that's being a fan.

But let me put it this way. The Farewell CD/DVD was recorded in a small place, they had to record extra audience tracks before the show, they invited out the die-hard petheads. All the videos you see of the late 80s and 90s where they show them in huge concerts were all done at concerts during their normal tours, Festivals and Mega Shows. Packed out, everywhere. But what I remember from Farewell was that it was a time where promoters were not booking them anymore, they had less and less dates every year and while the record companies wanted to push them, inpop was gonna have to release a Best of Compilation album? They had only recorded 2 CDs, Revival and Jekyll & Hyde for inpop and they were going to have to compile A Best of Petra out of those 2 CDs before they could do a 3rd Studio album......really?

Look I'm happy they are out there again touring, but the fact is yes, there was too much Petra activity for a legit retirement and come back.
That's not to say that it can't happen! Many other artists have done the same thing with the same results.

But then again, Sweet Comfort Band just released a new album after 25 years, but it was done indie and no signs of a tour right now.
White Heart is doing a new album and a limited tour we'll see what happens with them since they retired the band in the 90s.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"