Vinyl & Hyde

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Vinyl & Hyde

Post by Jonathan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:32 pm

Petra's Twitter staff just tweeted about Inpop releasing Jekyll & Hyde on vinyl.

Nothing at Inpop's site or petraband.com...
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

HudsonPethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!
Pethead since: 1997

Re: Vinyl & Hyde

Post by HudsonPethead » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:48 pm

Petra on FB:

Our friends at InPop have graciously enabled us to make available 'Jekyll & Hyde' on vinyl. The album has been remastered for vinyl and will be available *exclusively* at the merch table on Fall 2013 dates...so check petraband.com early next week!
0 x
https://t.me/pump_upp

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:56 pm

0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:04 pm

Why do people still buy vinyl? It doesn't actually sound better than the digital formats -- that's a myth -- it just has different kinds of distortion that people may or may not find pleasing.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:05 pm

CD has better dynamic range, way better stereo separation, waaaay better frequency response (there can't be sub bass on a record), all of the songs have the ability to have the same same bandwidth at the front or the back of the discs, CD has no rumble, wow and flutter, etc. Records do have a sound and many people find it easier to listen to. I am curious to see how they made those masters work for vinyl. It should be interesting. The vocals will probably push a bit more on vinyl. We will see/hear.
0 x

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:18 am

Mountain Man wrote:Why do people still buy vinyl?
Because not all of us are audiophiles who listen to music scientifically. I don't care about Hz or dynamic range or whatever. It's about the experience of opening an album, holding that black disc and firing up the turntable. When you place the the needle in the groove, you feel like you have something to do with playing the music, rather than letting the computer take over. And let's not forget that comforting old school hiss and crackle.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:15 pm

Jonathan wrote: It's about the experience of opening an album, holding that black disc and firing up the turntable. When you place the the needle in the groove, you feel like you have something to do with playing the music, rather than letting the computer take over. And let's not forget that comforting old school hiss and crackle.
Eh, I don't know about that. It was always a means to an end for me and not the religious experience you make it sound like. For one thing, I never liked how delicate vinyls were and how an errant piece of dust could cause endless skipping. And speaking of "old school hiss and crackle", listening to an older disc was often aggravating when that hiss and crackle would sometimes be loud enough to obscure the quieter parts of the music. It wasn't all bad, of course, but I remember the bad more than the good for some reason.

On a related note, it's interesting to me that the record scratch sound effect is meaningless to most people today. I knew it was the end for the record scratch when CNN ran a promo maybe 10-years ago that talked about the professionalism and experience of one of their anchors, listing the awards she's won and so on. Then it showed the picture of an attractive woman. Cue record scratch sound effect and the announcer saying, "Wait, and she's hot too?!" The ad received complaints because people thought the sound effect was of a zipper being pulled down giving the promo a rather lewd twist. The sound effect hasn't been used much since then, and I think it's literally unheard of now days unless you're watching reruns.
0 x

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:05 pm

I was actually expecting this to be an Amazing Jonathan Hoax with another picture of Bill Clinton's record collection. Maybe we should send him a complimentary copy. :roll:

This is amazing. I always thought that the cover for Jekyll & Hyde was designed for vinyl size and now we get one! Just hope that the distribution of this vinyl record will be not as exclusive as they make it sound. Unfortunately, there's no way for me to attend any concert any time soon, but I don't want to miss out on this one.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:43 am

Mountain Man wrote:
Jonathan wrote: It's about the experience of opening an album, holding that black disc and firing up the turntable. When you place the the needle in the groove, you feel like you have something to do with playing the music, rather than letting the computer take over. And let's not forget that comforting old school hiss and crackle.
Eh, I don't know about that. It was always a means to an end for me and not the religious experience you make it sound like. For one thing, I never liked how delicate vinyls were and how an errant piece of dust could cause endless skipping. And speaking of "old school hiss and crackle", listening to an older disc was often aggravating when that hiss and crackle would sometimes be loud enough to obscure the quieter parts of the music. It wasn't all bad, of course, but I remember the bad more than the good for some reason.

On a related note, it's interesting to me that the record scratch sound effect is meaningless to most people today. I knew it was the end for the record scratch when CNN ran a promo maybe 10-years ago that talked about the professionalism and experience of one of their anchors, listing the awards she's won and so on. Then it showed the picture of an attractive woman. Cue record scratch sound effect and the announcer saying, "Wait, and she's hot too?!" The ad received complaints because people thought the sound effect was of a zipper being pulled down giving the promo a rather lewd twist. The sound effect hasn't been used much since then, and I think it's literally unheard of now days unless you're watching reruns.

I think this is why music has lost that personality that it once had, because there is no physical contact anymore with the product. Most artists today just put out a few MP3's to see what the market is like and in some cases even when they catch on do not release any physical product like a CD which in my case they will NEVER have me as a fan or buyer no matter how good the music is. Some say the physical product is going away but it won't because the market is still there for our bands; yes its not what it once was but the labels are still making huge profits off of the product.

In the coming months you are going to see artists like The Who, Led Zepplin, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Bon Jovi & a some others that are going to be rereleasing all their catalogs on Vinyl which in a lot of cases will have the original art form, plus some would be for the first time be seeing the vinyl side of things because they are post 1990. I know also Stryper has talked about doing this also and I'm sure all of us would love to see Petra do the same. The labels & artists would not be doing this is there was not a market of any money to be made from this.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:25 pm

Provided it comes from the orginal digital recording with a higher sampling rate than that of a CD, then this is a no brainer... Superior quality

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm

I'll be getting it!
0 x

bakersfieldpethead
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1990

Post by bakersfieldpethead » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:30 pm

Hey for those of us who collect records and still love listing to music that way. I can tell you there are several Christian albums that still have not seen the light of day in a digital format and the only way to hear it is via Vinyl or Cassette. So with that in mind.......I think it would be great to be able to put a brand new Petra copy of "Jekyll & Hyde" right next to "This Means War" and "Beat the System" in my LP collection.
0 x
8) 8) 8) 8)

"In the middle of the night, the idiot himself awaits"
"I have been young, now I am old-ish"

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by p-freak » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:17 pm

Has anyone ever seen this on the merch table? Is it out already?
0 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Post by sickasadog » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:30 pm

I think I saw it at the Steinbach show, but the table was very crowded and I had a long drive home after the show.
0 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:28 am

Did this ever materialize ?
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by p-freak » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:10 pm

Nope. I think it was supposed to be a kind of license sort of deal. It certainly wasn't an initiative from Inpop Records, so they didn't carry the idea forward when the guy who started the project took off and disappeared off the map.
0 x