Is Petra done?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: Is Petra done?

Post by executioner » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:31 pm

Matthew RJ wrote:In my opinion, the live album was too early. What did it offer that was different from the studio album? They should have put out 3 albums, then a live album doing a mix.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but live albums don't do as well as studio albums. I think the time was all wrong for it.
I believe the only thing that was done correctly with the whole Classic Petra thing was the BTTR Album; after that I think the thing as a whole was bits/pieces of bad management and bad decision making and I do feel this lies really at the feet of Greg. I'd be shocked if anything ever materializes again with these five members and if something does happen it would be without Lawry because of touring and Louie and lets just say most involved with Petra/Classic Petra look back and say John Schlitt made the right decision back in 2003 about him. BTW I do think you could see Lawry on the production side of it just not in the touring aspect.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:41 pm

If they changed the line-up then it really wouldn't be Classic Petra, so what'd be the point? It was fun while it lasted, but I think Classic Petra is done for good.
0 x

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:07 pm

Exe, your comments really bother me. How dare you blame Greg for everyhing, and Louie for the debacle with John. Being in a band is like being married. It takes two people to fight and to people to fix it. I know many things that happened internally, but I tell you one thing, Bob and John they both have many flaws, so dont put them in a pedestal. Nobody sticks with a band through thick and thin for 20years like Louie did without at least some great degree of loyalty and respect. Get the two sides of the story straight before you judge a fellow brother in Christ.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:58 pm

The judging we are not to be engaged in is damning, condemning. We are to judge spirits, fruit, people, what people say in light of scripture, to see if it is of God. I don't see where Exec has judged anyone for their actions. He merely pointed out who the parties are that made things difficult.

I have heard comments by those in and out of the band. If the people left on good terms, they speak well of their previous employer. If they were made to leave, they don't speak well of their employer. One thing is constant from where I sit, having listened to all kinds of conversations about how things were perceived by various people. Some people want to be what they are not and want to control things themselves. Ultimately, it became apparent that they should not have control, because that is not their thing. The control belonged to Bob and then John. Everyone else was a hired gun. Some people are just hard to live with, work with, be with. It's like any other organization, Christian or secular. Politics, greed, pride and lack of self control take over.

It doesn't matter. CP is done, done, done. I would put my life on it. If it does come back, it will be in name only and be something like IIGuys from Classic Petra.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:53 am

fcollazo wrote:Exe, your comments really bother me. How dare you blame Greg for everyhing, and Louie for the debacle with John. Being in a band is like being married. It takes two people to fight and to people to fix it. I know many things that happened internally, but I tell you one thing, Bob and John they both have many flaws, so dont put them in a pedestal. Nobody sticks with a band through thick and thin for 20years like Louie did without at least some great degree of loyalty and respect. Get the two sides of the story straight before you judge a fellow brother in Christ.
Classic Petra issue first: Everyone including band members have come out and said the whole Classic Petra idea was Greg's idea and Greg along with the original management team were the decision makers in it. Now I'm sure all 5 members had some say but the ultimate decision makers were Greg & Michael.

Louie: I know enough to know that John did everything within his power to excuse the issues that had arisen over the years with Louie, but ultimately had to step up and say enough is enough(With Bob's complete approval). I won't go into too much detail in the public forum for the reasons but the final straw I do believe was Louie refusing to show up for studio work for JAH(keep in mind this was over several months of trying to convince Louie to show up) because he thought the style they were going with was not what Petra should be doing. Louie had be talking since the late 90's that he felt Petra should be doing P&W style music and also to become a nonprofit organization. Like Brent said in the above post except for Bob & John all other members of Petra since the late 70's have been hired guns and I'm sure while their opinions and taste would be considered ultimately the decision lies with Bob & John.

I am not judging anyone here just stating facts, observations and items I've gotten from sources that I completely trust within & outside the organization. I've been a Petra fan since 1980 and I've always been a huge Louie fan, but the things I've seen with my own eyes and also things I've been told by people I trust I came to the conclusion about 8 years ago that the right decision was made. I would be one that would love to see Louie & John back together in the same formation of Petra but I have to think logically that it won't happen any time soon.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:37 am

I am the only guy on here who has recorded Louie. I can tell you that his style is NOT J&H. He loves pop. If he could be Jeff Procaro he wouldbe. He is into drummers that most hear would not like if they heard them. I had to really push and edit to get what I wanted, and he was cool with that. He said, "I know how you guys like to work and I know what you need from me. I hope I gave you enough to work with." So, it is no surprise that Louie was not willing to play that music. His heart wasn't into hard stuff anymore. I think Louie let people down with Viktor, because they thought he would bring Petra and King James together and RAWK! People expect the wrong thing from Louie. He has always had to work outside of the band. He has always been involved in things that allowed him to talk to people...which is what he does best.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:38 pm

executioner wrote:Louie: I know enough to know that John did everything within his power to excuse the issues that had arisen over the years with Louie, but ultimately had to step up and say enough is enough(With Bob's complete approval). I won't go into too much detail in the public forum for the reasons but the final straw I do believe was Louie refusing to show up for studio work for JAH(keep in mind this was over several months of trying to convince Louie to show up) because he thought the style they were going with was not what Petra should be doing. Louie had be talking since the late 90's that he felt Petra should be doing P&W style music and also to become a nonprofit organization.
Interesting. It does sound like John Schlitt made the right decision. You can't have one guy holding up the entire operation.
0 x

thunderecho
Pethead
Pethead

Post by thunderecho » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:48 am

brent wrote:I am the only guy on here who has recorded Louie. I can tell you that his style is NOT J&H. He loves pop. If he could be Jeff Procaro he wouldbe. He is into drummers that most hear would not like if they heard them. I had to really push and edit to get what I wanted, and he was cool with that. He said, "I know how you guys like to work and I know what you need from me. I hope I gave you enough to work with." So, it is no surprise that Louie was not willing to play that music. His heart wasn't into hard stuff anymore. I think Louie let people down with Viktor, because they thought he would bring Petra and King James together and RAWK! People expect the wrong thing from Louie. He has always had to work outside of the band. He has always been involved in things that allowed him to talk to people...which is what he does best.
Toto was a great band. They have some really awesome tunes.
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:58 am

Sunrise, sunset.
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:16 am

Brent wrote:
The control belonged to Bob and then John. Everyone else was a hired gun.
Not quite. John Lawry had a share in the band.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:31 pm

Are you saying Lawry had a share in the band when Louie left/was fired?
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:43 pm

no, no.... he "had stock in the company " when HE (Lawry) left.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:26 pm

Oh yeah...back in the day, starting at Star Song, Darrell Harris showed us their arrangement. The Picture This contract and share arrangement was based on Petra's. People had ownership shares. I remember everyone except Louie was in on that in 85/86.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:13 pm

Name: LOUIE WEAVER MINISTRIES INTERNATIONAL INC.
Old Name: PETRA MINISTRIES INTERNATIONAL, INC.

https://tnbear.tn.gov/ECommerce/FilingD ... 5041091124
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:42 pm

Louie did not have authorization to set up that site.

Louie told me about it. Louie honestly thought the band was headed in a ministerial direction, getting away from the big concerts and such, especially after the Sonicflood induced praise record. Some ministry opportunities became available and Louie thought he would help the cause, be proactive, start that site, print materials and represent Petra, getting gigs and such without authorization/approval.

This is one of the last straws. That is the story as best as I can remember it being told to me.
0 x