Poll: Not of this World (1983)

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.

What's your favorite song from Not of this World (1983)

Not of this World" – 4:49
11%
Bema Seat
18%
Grave Robber
37%
Blinded Eyes
5%
Not by Sight
5%
Lift Him Up
No votes
Pied Piper
8%
Occupy
5%
Godpleaser
11%

Total votes: 38

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Poll: Not of this World (1983)

Post by Thief » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:37 pm

On to the sixth album...

Didja know... allegedly Bob Hartman considers this album to be the equivalent of a "musical sequel" to More Power to Ya?
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Re: Poll: Not of this World (1983)

Post by Thief » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:40 pm

This album is probably my #2 album, and has potential to be my #1, so I would have a hard time choosing a favorite.

"Bema Seat", "Grave Robber", and "Pied Piper" would probably be the top contenders, but "Blinded Eyes" and maybe "Godpleaser" would be close. The rest of the songs are great as well. If I were to name a "weakest", it would probably be "Occupy" but that's still a pretty good song.
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Post by pmal » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:14 pm

Occupy
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:22 pm

Very weak album for me; I was around and a fan at the time and just remember some talking(including me) on how disappointed we were just coming from More Power To Ya. This album is most likely a bottom 5 album in my opinion.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System

Post by Boray » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:12 am

Have you ever noticed the resemblance between "Stand up" and "Lift him up"? The chorus is very similar.
0 x

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Post by sickasadog » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:22 am

Boray wrote:Have you ever noticed the resemblance between "Stand up" and "Lift him up"? The chorus is very similar.
Yep. Slightly different melody, but the same structure and timing.
0 x

mkepethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!

Post by mkepethead » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:23 pm

This was the first Petra album I owned. Bema Seat is my favorite song
0 x
Petra Means Rock!

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:56 pm

It was tough to pick one, but I finally went with "Grave Robber". Such a great, victorious song.
0 x

cvs2kids
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: All Fired Up
Pethead since: 1983

Post by cvs2kids » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:52 pm

executioner wrote:Very weak album for me; I was around and a fan at the time and just remember some talking(including me) on how disappointed we were just coming from More Power To Ya. This album is most likely a bottom 5 album in my opinion.
Hard one for me too. I love God Pleaser (took my vote) as a personal statement. Lots of time in my life I was looking for personal accolades, and this song would keep coming to me. The bridge (if that's the proper phrase) that ends with "All I want to hear is well done!" is a favourite as that's one of my most loved bible passages. Timeless, powerful song for me.

I also like Grave robber(d'uh) and Bema seat. Bur like ex, the rest of the album is a bit blah with what feels like a lot more filler.
0 x
Well done my good and faithful servant, you may enter with me into paradise.

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:33 pm

cvs2kids wrote: I also like Grave robber(d'uh) and Bema seat. Bur like ex, the rest of the album is a bit blah with what feels like a lot more filler.
I don't know. To me, "Pied Piper" is one of the coolest songs from the band. I like how the guitars and keyboards work together, and I love the way the chorus tempo breaks. If it weren't for "Grave Robber" and "Bema Seat" being better, this would be my #1 from the album :D
0 x

Ed Z
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Ed Z » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:07 pm

Great album!!! My first taste of Petra, they have been my favorite band since. It was tough but I voted for "Grave Robber", what a powerful song!! In my opinion "Not Of This World" is just as good as "More Power To Ya". I also love the artwork, especially on vinyl.
0 x

PiedPiper
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1986

Post by PiedPiper » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:11 am

Tough choice, I picked Occupy. Lot's of good tunes, although I've never been a fan of "Godpleaser".
0 x
There is a road inside of you; inside of me there is one too.
No stumbling pilgrim in the dark, the road to Zion's in your heart.

LivingRock
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1993

Post by LivingRock » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:35 pm

Boray wrote:Have you ever noticed the resemblance between "Stand up" and "Lift him up"? The chorus is very similar.
I seem to remember a Petra Youth Choir song with a medley of these two. Saw it on youtube once and then could never find it again... (not sure if Petra youth Choir is the right term, it was a choir that did covers of Petra songs, Maranatha style... old)
0 x
"Pethead" is not a title. It's a way of life.

http://pathofthecarpenter.blogspot.ca/

Thief
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Thief » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:36 pm

I have a question to those that are more familiar with the early albums. I was reading some old interviews and found out that Louie Weaver didn't record the drums in this album. Apparently, JDB brought back Keith Edwards, who had previously recorded the drums for Never Say Die, to do this one as well. Is that how it went? It's weird that, unlike other cases, Edwards isn't even listed or credited among the "Additional Musicians" in the album.

Also, on the website "A Guide to Petra", the page for this album lists a Mike Brignardello as playing bass. Did Mark Kelly play the bass in the album or was this album another case similar to Beat the System where both he and Louie were replaced with session musicians?
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:30 pm

Thief wrote:I have a question to those that are more familiar with the early albums. I was reading some old interviews and found out that Louie Weaver didn't record the drums in this album. Apparently, JDB brought back Keith Edwards, who had previously recorded the drums for Never Say Die, to do this one as well. Is that how it went? It's weird that, unlike other cases, Edwards isn't even listed or credited among the "Additional Musicians" in the album.

Also, on the website "A Guide to Petra", the page for this album lists a Mike Brignardello as playing bass. Did Mark Kelly play the bass in the album or was this album another case similar to Beat the System where both he and Louie were replaced with session musicians?

Not sure about Mark Kelly not playing on NOTW, but I know Louie only played on one Petra album produced by JDB and that was CITAS. Louie really played a small part in most of the Petra recordings over the years.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!