Poll: Back to the Street (1986)

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.

What's your favorite song from Back to the Street (1986)

Back to the Street
7%
You Are I Am
2%
Shakin the House
29%
King's Ransom
No votes
Whole World
24%
Another Crossroad
5%
Run for Cover
No votes
Fool's Gold
12%
Altar Ego
10%
Thankful Heart
10%

Total votes: 41

PiedPiper
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1986

Re: Poll: Back to the Street (1986)

Post by PiedPiper » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:04 am

pmal wrote:"Shakin' the House" was also my first favorite Petra song. It's really the reason I love Petra today. I had "battled" with my mom for a couple of years over getting a Petra album, but one day I finally was able to talk her into letting me get CITAS, which is the only thing the Zondervan bookstore at the mall had in stock at the time. Plus, it had a really cool album cover. By then, though, CITAS was a couple of years old and BTTS had already been released. At the time, CITAS sounded really old and to be honest, I didn't really like it except for a couple of songs and solos for a multitude of reasons, but mostly my own fault. Now, I love CITAS. Anyway, one of my friends had BTTS and I told him that I had CITAS but didn't really like it that much and felt that it was an out of date record. He told me that Petra had a different singer now and to give "Shakin' the House" a listen. Boy, am I glad I did! Not long after that TMW was released and I was completely hooked. So, suffice it to say, I owe my love of all Petra today to "Shakin' the House".
That's funny, I had a similar battle with my mom over music! At first I was trying to convince her to let me get Stryper, but I think their pictures weren't helping my case. Then I bought This Means War! and let her read the lyrics, with scripture citations, and she agreed. By the time I was an older teen, my mom was defending Petra with the other skeptical parents!
Last edited by PiedPiper on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
There is a road inside of you; inside of me there is one too.
No stumbling pilgrim in the dark, the road to Zion's in your heart.

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:48 am

This was the first LP I ever bought. I had listened a lot to Beat the system before and maybe also More Power to ya. When I listened to Back to the Street for the first time, my reaction was: Why is the singer's voice so husky? They must have toured hard, wearing his voice down. I had no idea they had changed their singer. :mrgreen:
0 x

mkepethead
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: On Fire!

Post by mkepethead » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:16 pm

Voted for Altar Ego as well.
0 x
Petra Means Rock!

sickasadog
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1984

Post by sickasadog » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:11 pm

The title track is my favourite--a great introduction to John Schlitt!
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:24 pm

Dang, this week I think I've listened to this album more than I ever had. Songs like "Back to the Street", "Whole World", and "Altar Ego" have really grown on me. It's all your fault! :lol:
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them

Post by pmal » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:25 am

Thief wrote:Dang, this week I think I've listened to this album more than I ever had. Songs like "Back to the Street", "Whole World", and "Altar Ego" have really grown on me. It's all your fault! :lol:
It's the drums and the guitars: very underrated on this album with some great action and solos, and I also believe most of these songs have held up pretty good too, imo. In fact, I like these songs now more than I did when it was released. Another Crossroad is also great. Run for Cover, while originally a favorite of mine, is now a dumpster fire, though :)
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:14 pm

You can watch 30 mins of behind the scenes on "The Making of Back to the Street" dvd:
http://schlittshop.com/merch/the-making ... street-dvd

Preview here:
0 x

Shell
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief

Post by Shell » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:45 am

I have that one. It's been awhile since I've watched it, I'm going to have to watch it again. 8)
0 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:16 pm

It's pretty fun --- and FUNNY!
0 x

Ron
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1982

Post by Ron » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:17 pm

"Shakin The House" is my favorite from this album. Problem was this was the transitional album with Schlitt, and at the time I hated it. Back then I missed the "old sound" and hoped that they would go back to it. It was the different genre. Petra, with Schlitt's AC/DC voice, started sounding like a hair band and I wanted just good hard rock with great melodies. "Beat the System" was a change during Volz but it sounded more like eighties top40 rock whereas with Schlitt the band made a complete turn to heavy metal. It looked like they were becoming a Christian "Motley Crue" or even more accurately, an alternative to Stryper - this became most evident to me on the next two albums.

What's strange is after I became accustomed to Schlitt and the new sound (about three records later), I found myself revisiting this album and now love most of the tracks on it.
1 x