Petra Is Done

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: Petra Is Done

Post by executioner » Fri May 02, 2014 9:02 am

brent wrote:Steve is on record saying no way will he ever get with those guys. He used the marriage analogy.

Journey was having to tune waaay down in rehearsals for the Trial By Fire tour. Word is it wasn't going well for him or the band. During the recording of Trial By Fire, word from engineers and assistants that vocals were "rough". You guys don't really think Journey would ditch their golden boy who just gave them a reunited band and one of their best records for a hip injury alone do ya?
Yeah its known that Trial By Fire was a chop shop vocal wise; Perry sounded great on the finished product but the whole album was basically chopped up vocal wise.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1991

Post by rexreed » Fri May 02, 2014 6:05 pm

executioner wrote:
thunderecho wrote:
executioner wrote:
rexreed wrote:Don't forget Soto:) According to Schon the Revelation tour "eclipsed" previous tours. Man, If I could go back in time and see Frontiers...
I saw Petra one time... During Unseen Power. I thought it was great, the asboestes was falling off the Sam Houston Coliseum ceiling. I always thought It would be possible to see them again and it never panned out...cept for CP.
Yeah according to Schon Journey has made more money on touring in the last 10 years then they did at any other time in their history.
They seem to have robust attendance when then are partnered with other classic rock bands (Heart and Cheap Trick in 2008 for example). In 2014, they are touring with the Steve Miller band and I expect that tour will be successful. Last two times I attended a Journey concert where they were "solo" the attendance was far from capacity.
It's been years since they have done a tour all by themselves. They do some one offs but that is about it.
Since Arnel joined the concerts have an energy that wad not their previously. ACouple well recieved new albums(with some radio and tv play) coupled with a new generation of fans (glee, sopranos,, giants, whitesox , remember) have helped. They making da money.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Fri May 02, 2014 6:12 pm

executioner wrote:
Mountain Man wrote:
rexreed wrote:Don't forget Soto:) According to Schon the Revelation tour "eclipsed" previous tours. Man, If I could go back in time and see Frontiers...
I saw Petra one time... During Unseen Power. I thought it was great, the asboestes was falling off the Sam Houston Coliseum ceiling. I always thought It would be possible to see them again and it never panned out...cept for CP.
I would take anything Schon says with a grain of salt. He's still trying to convince himself they can make it without Perry.
There needs to be no convincing, they are making it without Perry and quite successfully I might add.
They're not selling albums or filling stadiums like in their prime, and the crowd wants to hear old Perry hits. On the radio, you're more likely to hear Steve Perry than Arnel Pineda. Their new stuff just hasn't made much of a splash.

So while they're probably making money, they're not really staking a claim in the music world.
0 x

Thief
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1990

Post by Thief » Fri May 02, 2014 9:17 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
executioner wrote:
Mountain Man wrote:
I would take anything Schon says with a grain of salt. He's still trying to convince himself they can make it without Perry.
There needs to be no convincing, they are making it without Perry and quite successfully I might add.
They're not selling albums or filling stadiums like in their prime, and the crowd wants to hear old Perry hits. On the radio, you're more likely to hear Steve Perry than Arnel Pineda. Their new stuff just hasn't made much of a splash.

So while they're probably making money, they're not really staking a claim in the music world.
But again, this is not exclusive of Journey. Almost every single 80's band is suffering the same. They're not selling albums (most of them are not even recording), they're not filling stadiums anymore, they're not getting a lot of radio play, and the crowds only want to hear the old stuff. So the Perry/Pineda parallel continues to be moot because the issue has more to do with the musical landscape in general than a change of lead singer. Heck, if anything, I think they've been more active and on the spotlight than a lot of other bands from the same era.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Fri May 02, 2014 11:00 pm

Mountain Man wrote:
executioner wrote:
Mountain Man wrote:

They don't need radio to stake a claim in the music business mainly because music radio is dead and just about gone. Even the current big name artists are not selling like Journey & Def Leppard did in the 80's. BTW they are selling with Revelation going Platinum and Eclipse going gold. I and some others would really love to hear some of the new stuff they have out; some of it is really good.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri May 02, 2014 11:38 pm

Funny, Kansas City's Sprint Center has tons of concerts. The Midland Theater, UpTown Theater, Verizon Amphitheater, Star Light Theater all have tons of concerts. Our largest rock station has Rockfest every year. It is the largest one day festival in the US. Rockfest is driven by radio and radio alone. Christian music sucks and so it doesn't do as well. Rock and country (wait, those are the same thing) still sell well.

There is tons of new music. The legacy artists don't record as much, because few buy new music from legacy musician. There never has been a demand for new music from legacy artists on radio. Once you have your window of opportunity closed and your hits are in, you don't generally see that band going for round two or three. Few bands have done it.

True, record sales are not what they once were, but that is because the record companies are not what they once were. You don't have good record sales without record companies, contracts, A&R, producers, handlers, etc. The record business is all but gone, and that is unfortunate. There are less ways for people to make a living doing what they love in music, and now we will have less GOOD choices. There is a ton of crap and it is cheap or free. Who cares about that?
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sat May 03, 2014 12:05 pm

brent wrote:Funny, Kansas City's Sprint Center has tons of concerts. The Midland Theater, UpTown Theater, Verizon Amphitheater, Star Light Theater all have tons of concerts. Our largest rock station has Rockfest every year. It is the largest one day festival in the US. Rockfest is driven by radio and radio alone. Christian music sucks and so it doesn't do as well. Rock and country (wait, those are the same thing) still sell well.

There is tons of new music. The legacy artists don't record as much, because few buy new music from legacy musician. There never has been a demand for new music from legacy artists on radio. Once you have your window of opportunity closed and your hits are in, you don't generally see that band going for round two or three. Few bands have done it.

True, record sales are not what they once were, but that is because the record companies are not what they once were. You don't have good record sales without record companies, contracts, A&R, producers, handlers, etc. The record business is all but gone, and that is unfortunate. There are less ways for people to make a living doing what they love in music, and now we will have less GOOD choices. There is a ton of crap and it is cheap or free. Who cares about that?
I'm sure there are some small to mid level markets where music radio has either seen a little growth or keeps breaking even, but in the large markets like Dallas which is the 4th largest radio market in the country the music side of the dial has taken a deep plunge in the last 5-8 years; the only growth we have seen is talk radio and Spanish music radio. Three of our most successful music stations(2 country & 1 Pop/R&B) changed over to Spanish within the last year and one of those was a top 5 in listenership in the past year. Most artists are no longer even trying to push their singles to radio anymore because don't see the point, they just push it on the net and doing street level word of mouth. Music radio has declined in listenership about 4% per year the last ten years or so.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sat May 03, 2014 12:40 pm

Right. It is not the medium that is the issue. It is the content (the music being played) that is failing to connect with the listeners. Combine that with the fact there are more places to be entertained, and radio takes a back seat. But, when it comes to reaching masses of like kind, radio and TV are still the best mediums...for now...'till the great satan Google launches their direct to brain interface.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun May 04, 2014 5:30 pm

This just in, 70% of Americans tune into radio at least once a day.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Sun May 04, 2014 8:13 pm

I can buy that. I still listen to it and sat. radio daily.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by executioner » Sun May 04, 2014 9:14 pm

Yep I buy it also, but the only problem is about 75% of them all they do is listen to talk radio. 20-30 years ago music reigned on radio now its about 25%-28% while the other portion is talk radio.
0 x

rexreed
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by rexreed » Mon May 05, 2014 4:56 pm

Petra may be done (which I do not believe) but Journey is going strong. Maybe there is something to that...
0 x