Highest note sung?

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
wisemaster
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief

Highest note sung?

Post by wisemaster » Wed May 21, 2014 1:21 pm

Does anyone know the highest note sung by a Petra vocalist? The highest I can think of is found during 3:40-3:45 of Voice in the Wind.
0 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Re: Highest note sung?

Post by zman7720000 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:46 pm

Greg in Adonai or Dream on, John had some high stuff when he was with Head East
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Wed May 21, 2014 8:57 pm

0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu May 22, 2014 6:17 am

sue d. wrote:Try this one: http://schlittshop.com/track/hallelujah ... -s-messiah

and if you don't think it's real - try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ERG8QWaOLM
O.K., that's amazing. And apparently recent, too. I didn't know John could still hit notes like that. I don't know if it's the highest note ever sang by a Petra lead, but it's pretty darn close.
0 x

Jan
Pethead
Pethead

Post by Jan » Thu May 22, 2014 1:03 pm

sue d. wrote:Try this one: http://schlittshop.com/track/hallelujah ... -s-messiah

and if you don't think it's real - try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ERG8QWaOLM

I love the live one! Especially because it has one of my favorite John things: "FOR-EVAHHHHHH!" 8) Very cool.
0 x

fiendik
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 2010

Post by fiendik » Fri May 23, 2014 7:14 pm

Wow, that's high-pitched!
Highest ever is probably either that or the end of Volz's "Dream On" (from Come Out Fighting). The final "Dream on" scream was probably Volz's highest; I don't know how high any of them technically are, though.
0 x
"Fiends are a gift from above, fiends are devoted and true..."

fcollazo
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by fcollazo » Sun May 25, 2014 8:03 am

Check out John's vocals at the end of " You Are I Am", just before the guitar solo on "Altar Ego" and The initial scream in Mine Field". Now those are really high! Way higher than those on Greg's songs.
0 x
God's love hit's me where i live, in my perfect world, because i love the Lord.

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead

Post by zman7720000 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:09 am

brent wrote:There is no competition in my book. There is no way there could be one. They both sing in two different ranges and always have. now, both Petra bands tune down, and this truth remains the same. When Greg was singing in his prime, he was not singing at the complete top end of his range. When John came to Petra, he darn near was, and was not as high as Greg. BUT, John has a thickness and R and R gravel to his voice that Greg could not provide. These are two drastically different singers, never to be compared against each other.
Agreed!
0 x

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Tue May 27, 2014 9:32 am

Compare the vocal ranges of today’s top artists with the greatest of all time. This chart shows the highest and lowest notes each artist hit in the recording studio. Hover over the bars to see the songs on which they reached those notes.

http://www.concerthotels.com/worlds-gre ... cal-ranges
0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Tue May 27, 2014 2:56 pm

Jonathan wrote:Compare the vocal ranges of today’s top artists with the greatest of all time. This chart shows the highest and lowest notes each artist hit in the recording studio. Hover over the bars to see the songs on which they reached those notes.

http://www.concerthotels.com/worlds-gre ... cal-ranges
That is really cool.

I think GXV sung a high note, but JS has a much larger range. Mariah C = GXV; AXL R = JS
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu May 29, 2014 11:20 am

Never realized that Axl Roses had a range like that in his prime. To bad he destroyed his voice with bad technique.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu May 29, 2014 11:33 am

fcollazo wrote:Check out John's vocals at the end of " You Are I Am", just before the guitar solo on "Altar Ego" and The initial scream in Mine Field". Now those are really high! Way higher than those on Greg's songs.
Very underrated album; John's vocals were raw and somewhat uncontrolled but I think he sounded great. I HATE polished vocals!
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Thu May 29, 2014 11:40 am

zman7720000 wrote:
brent wrote:There is no competition in my book. There is no way there could be one. They both sing in two different ranges and always have. now, both Petra bands tune down, and this truth remains the same. When Greg was singing in his prime, he was not singing at the complete top end of his range. When John came to Petra, he darn near was, and was not as high as Greg. BUT, John has a thickness and R and R gravel to his voice that Greg could not provide. These are two drastically different singers, never to be compared against each other.
Agreed!

I've never directly compared both of them because I do believe they are so vastly different that you can't really compare them. John has that true rock voice while Greg's voice is more suited for the pop/rock genre. I don't think Greg's voice ever really was suited for the Petra style even during his years. I loved the music during that period but always felt Greg's voice are out of place with the other rock singers at that time and really in a lot of ways was holding Petra back from truly rocking like they wanted too.

**this is just my opinion and its not right/wrong just how I've always felt about that era of Petra**
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead

Post by zman7720000 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:19 pm

executioner wrote:
zman7720000 wrote:
Agreed!

I've never directly compared both of them because I do believe they are so vastly different that you can't really compare them. John has that true rock voice while Greg's voice is more suited for the pop/rock genre. I don't think Greg's voice ever really was suited for the Petra style even during his years. I loved the music during that period but always felt Greg's voice are out of place with the other rock singers at that time and really in a lot of ways was holding Petra back from truly rocking like they wanted too.

**this is just my opinion and its not right/wrong just how I've always felt about that era of Petra**
Funny I feel the exact same way only you can reverse the names!
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Post by pmal » Thu May 29, 2014 3:49 pm

zman7720000 wrote: Funny I feel the exact same way only you can reverse the names!
LOL!!!! So, you honestly think that Greg has the true rocking voice and John is more suited for pop/rock, and that John held back the band? LOL!!!! Sorry, but you couldn't possibly believe that no matter how you try to spin it. I love them both, but that's just spiteful to say at best and just not accurate based on the band's history.
0 x
May the downforce be with you!