Any news

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
gman
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
Location: Used to be Grand Rapids, MI after leaving the beautiful beaches of NJ. Now it's PA.

Re: Any news

Post by gman » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:29 am

D-Pethead wrote:John has been successful because he has been willing to trust people to use things like kickstarter. The other thing is he is a nice guy and people like him, and it goes without saying he has an amazing voice. I think if Bob was to use Kickstarter, people would get behind it, maybe it's just not his style, kickstarter can seem desperate.
That would be my guess; that Bob prefers the traditional route, and is content with not doing anything if it can't happen that way.
0 x

johndoe590
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1980

Post by johndoe590 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:45 pm

to me john is doing better without petra. so why not try and bring classic petra back alittle
0 x

Dev
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1981

Post by Dev » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:47 pm

johndoe590 wrote:to me john is doing better without petra. so why not try and bring classic petra back alittle

***That's a great idea. I prefer Classic anyway.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:56 pm

I think you guys are right on. John's messages, talent and versatility are showcased and maximized on solo records. He can be who he IS now. He can have total control. With Petra he has to be who he was when the songs were released. John's solo records as a "work" are better than anything Petra has done in a very long time.
0 x

petraman
Pethead
Pethead

Post by petraman » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:04 am

At least we have Whiteheart returning!
0 x
WhiteHeart Rox 4 CHRIST!

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:17 am

brent wrote:I think you guys are right on. John's messages, talent and versatility are showcased and maximized on solo records. He can be who he IS now. He can have total control. With Petra he has to be who he was when the songs were released. John's solo records as a "work" are better than anything Petra has done in a very long time.
I think you guys have stumbled on to something here, the best of both worlds?
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH

Post by executioner » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:56 pm

johndoe590 wrote:to me john is doing better without petra. so why not try and bring classic petra back alittle
I really like the stuff John has put out in the last few years and his solo & ministry really works. I would be shocked if the Classic Petra angle would be brought back out. IMHO you would have a better shot at getting "The Dream Team" back together over Classic Petra; over time the wounds have healed more and CP's wounds are fresher and would need a lot of healing before anything could happen on that end. Most fans think that CP is not around anymore because of low sales and small concert market, but those things played very little into the equation.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:11 pm

I would like to see the Dream Team and Classic Petra do something together.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH

Post by executioner » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:35 pm

Dan wrote:I would like to see the Dream Team and Classic Petra do something together.

Yeah would be the ultimate, but highly unlikely. Like I said in the earlier post I believe the Dream Team to have more of a chance, but it still is like a 10% chance if that. I think the only incarnation of Petra you will ever see again is the current one with Bob, John, Greg B. & Christan.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:26 pm

To me, John is all I need. He can do solo work and Petra work. If I got to see John once a year, that would satisfy my Petra itch. I hope John and John take off.
0 x

fiendik
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 2010

Post by fiendik » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:21 pm

Wow, is there actually any chance of any sort of Petra coming back? Or is that just something us Petheads like to talk about? I personally would like to see a Classic Petra of some sort make an album of new songs, not just remakes like were on BTTR. I don't know anything about the current personal projects and statements of the members, I only know what I'd want 'em to do. But seriously, I though Petra was gone forever...

P.S. And what, pray tell, is "the Dream Team"? (I'm such a noob)
0 x
"Fiends are a gift from above, fiends are devoted and true..."

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:11 am

fiendik wrote:P.S. And what, pray tell, is "the Dream Team"? (I'm such a noob)
Not sure who coined the term (and I'm sure it was someone who was secretly in love with Ronny Cates :lol: ), but the dream team is the line-up from On Fire till Wake-Up Call with John Schlitt, Bob Hartman, Louie Weaver, John Lawry and Ronny Cates.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:32 pm

Thief wrote:But a lot of things have to come together in order for an album to actually happen. It's not only the writing and recording, which can be done at Bob's house. But the process requires money, distributors, etc. And considering their last experiences with record labels, I don't blame them for being wary at the prospect. Plus, there's the risk involved, will people buy it after all? I really don't think none of the members is wealthy enough to risk that, so I don't blame them for not going full-out and trying to test the waters before jumping in.
Skip the label and do a self-release as digital download only. That would limit the amount of risk going in and would decrease the number of albums they have to sell to cover the costs.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:28 pm

You have it backwards, a self financed release means they DO need a return on investment. Bob cannot just flush that money down the toilet. Bob DOES want/need a label to take the risk.

Kickstarter is ok, because fans take the risk, paying for music they have not heard. The album could be a turd and the artist is not out a penny.

Bob wants to write what Bob wants to write. If he is successful, he is. He has told me that he does not know how to write something for radio, or something designed to be a hit. This mindset would scare off a label. It might scare me off. What if I don't like where Bob is or what Bob wants to say? I want to hear it first to see if I want to buy it.
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:13 am

brent wrote:You have it backwards, a self financed release means they DO need a return on investment.
Um, I never said otherwise. All I said was that by cutting out the middleman (i.e. a label who scoops up the majority of profits before the artist ever sees a penny) would mean that the band's rate of return would be higher meaning they could sell fewer albums and still see a profit. Going digital-only would lower costs even further because they wouldn't have to worry about distributing a physical product.
0 x