The Compilation Album I'd Actually Like to See

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
BriGuyPEI
Pethead
Pethead
Pethead since: 1989

The Compilation Album I'd Actually Like to See

Post by BriGuyPEI » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:08 pm

With all these compilations out there, it's a shame that there are many tracks that have never been officially released digitally under the Petra banner. I'd like to see a digital compilation of all of those tracks and other oddballs.

1. Rockin' On With Jesus (if it exists; even use that live bootleg version)
2. Killing My Old Man (1977 version if it exists)
3. (Couldn't Find Love) Without You
4. Magic Words
5. The Great I AM
6. Who Do You Listen To?
7. Onward Christian Soldiers
8. I Don't Wanna Fall Away From You
9. Our Turn Now
10. Ready, Willing and Able (full acoustic version from the Back Stage Pass video)
11. The Holiest Name (acoustic)
12. Lovely Lord (acoustic)
13. If I Had to Die for Someone (acoustic)
14. It's A New Day (if it exists)
15. Judas Kiss (Farewell version)
16. Lord I Lift Your Name On High (Farewell version)
17. Holy Is Your Name

So if someone had this along with all of the official albums, they'd have the complete Petra catalogue. Kind of a Past Masters type of compilation.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: The Compilation Album I'd Actually Like to See

Post by executioner » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:04 pm

There was a song called "Trial of the Sword" that was on the original track listing for On Fire! but never made the cut. Bob has acknowledged that there was an 11th song for On Fire but nobody knows whatever happened to it. I've always wanted to hear it; I wonder how many songs are out there?
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Post by p-freak » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:46 pm

That would be interesting. As far as I know there is no studio version of Rockin' On With Jesus. And the early studio version of Killing My Old Man is still around on Come And Join Us test pressings, but I think it would be impossible to track one down. No one in the band seems to have a copy anymore, if they ever had one.

It's A New Day probably only exists in a demo version, just like the song exe mentioned. Bob has said before that there is some unfinished music from the Beat The System recording sessions, but I can imagine that has also become impossible to track down by now.

I would probably add the Double Take demos, since they're quite different from the final versions. And there are some radio edits / remixes out there that might be interesting. The ones that come to mind are the I Am Available radio remix, the I Need To Hear From You Acca-Petra Remix, and the Mine Field version without the scream at the beginning.
0 x

Boray
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Beat the System
Pethead since: 1985

Post by Boray » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:59 am

This is a great idea!
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Post by Dan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:43 am

executioner wrote:There was a song called "Trial of the Sword" that was on the original track listing for On Fire! but never made the cut. Bob has acknowledged that there was an 11th song for On Fire but nobody knows whatever happened to it. I've always wanted to hear it; I wonder how many songs are out there?
Hey that is cool, Bob should make album of every song that never made the cut... great kickstarter project.
0 x

wiley16350
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beyond Belief
Pethead since: 1988

Post by wiley16350 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:45 am

I did make a compilation album of a few of these songs for my own personal collection. Called it "All Mixed Up". The songs on your list that I was able to put on the album were:

1. Rockin On With Jesus (Live)
3. (Couldn't Find Love) Without You
4. Magic Words
5. The Great I Am
6. Who Do You Listen To?
7. Onward Christian Soldiers
8. I Don't Wanna Fall Away From You
9. Our Turn Now.

There are a few other songs I added, but I don't have it here in front of me to say for sure. The quality is limited due to sources that I had available. I plan on trying to make a better version at some point in the future now that I have a better understanding of transferring cassette to CD and have better equipment to do so. It still would be better if the album you suggest was accomplished by a professional with better sources. I would definitely buy the album. Especially if they provide some of the ones that aren't available anywhere.
0 x