Greg era fans question

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
p-freak
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Unseen Power
Pethead since: 1992

Re: Greg era fans question

Post by p-freak » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:13 am

John's vocals live have always been very good. I've been to quite some concerts in my teens and tweens and there were so many lead singers that couldn't keep tune live (Martin Smith of Delirious? and Rebecca St. James being the notoriously bad examples). I noticed that John didn't always follow the exact album melodies and deliberately didn't try some of the high notes, but I could probably come up with only one or two examples. The only issue I've seen with John's vocals was during the Farewell tour. I think the problem there was that he suddenly had to sing quite a bit more than usual. Especially during the last international shows of the tour his voice sounded tired and too raspy and he did miss some notes then, but I think that was just the strain of performing five shows a week again. After that at the reunion shows and at his solo performances he sounded great again. And his studio vocals are as good as and maybe even better than ever.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Re: Greg era fans question

Post by executioner » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:55 pm

p-freak wrote:John's vocals live have always been very good. I've been to quite some concerts in my teens and tweens and there were so many lead singers that couldn't keep tune live (Martin Smith of Delirious? and Rebecca St. James being the notoriously bad examples). I noticed that John didn't always follow the exact album melodies and deliberately didn't try some of the high notes, but I could probably come up with only one or two examples. The only issue I've seen with John's vocals was during the Farewell tour. I think the problem there was that he suddenly had to sing quite a bit more than usual. Especially during the last international shows of the tour his voice sounded tired and too raspy and he did miss some notes then, but I think that was just the strain of performing five shows a week again. After that at the reunion shows and at his solo performances he sounded great again. And his studio vocals are as good as and maybe even better than ever.

I agreed especially with the last portion of the paragraph; I think his voice has more depth and range than ever before. I will say his high range is probably not where it use to be but his low and mid range is so rich it adds a lot to his vocals. John has a voice that most singers would give everything to have.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!