Seriously what happened??

Talk about Petra albums, songs, and concerts.
Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: This Means War!
Pethead since: 1987

Seriously what happened??

Post by Dan » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:56 am

I fell like John Schlitt and John Elefante have become desperate, singing older secular songs in their set, what on earth has happened!? I even saw a video of John Schlitt singing “Never Been Any Reason” with some kid who sounds like a strangled chicken, the audience was a dozen old people… it was so sad to see this. Then "Carry on My Wayward Son" pushed me over the edge... Is this what has become of these Christian rockers? I know my post is probably going to upset people (sorry Sue), but I had to get it off my chest… it just seems to be one step, then another step… what are they willing to do next?
0 x

pmal
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: All of Them
Pethead since: 1985

Re: Seriously what happened??

Post by pmal » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:14 pm

Dan,

Not upsetting, but do you know that "Carry On" was about Livgren's searching for the true God of the universe? If you only look at the song, it can be lacking. But, if you take the song and see the results played out in the author's life, then that changes everything.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2452
http://archives.umc.org/interior.asp?ptid=1&mid=5303

As far as the other stuff goes, are you suggesting that they should be "too good to sing with us mortals"?

Regards, Phillip
0 x
May the downforce be with you!

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:34 pm

No worries Philip, I was unaware of the meaning of "Carry on My Wayward Son" thanks for that.

I'm in a childhood delusion because I was a fan of the band as a little kid, I guess I always see them bigger than what they technically are, I guess when I see my hero's I want more for them. I saw John sing "never been any reason" with Head East a few years ago, I thought it was a one off occasion. I can handle seeing the John's playing small crowds, because I feel they have more to offer.
0 x

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:30 pm

What you make not know is John E sang for Kansas, but has been involved with financial management, or something close to it IIRC. The E brothers and Kerry have had church for musicians in homes, etc. Kansas lyrics were full of Kerry's search, and finding God, through Jesus. Look on the interwebs via the googly and you will find interviews with them about the music and the meaning.

As far as John singing Head East stuff, he sang at the "hall of fame" show thing with the current band (a bunch of guys from KC). He has done a bad parody of it (not his fault) with a Christian band at a show here in KC. He told them originally he would never sing that song, then he came out and did it with them.

I guess it gets down to legalism. What does that song really mean? The song in and of itself is not evil. What was evil was how John was living when he was in Head East. John is a born again believer now. If he sings it, he is not changing his life back to how it used to be. He is merely singing a song he made famous. Whoopy. I would propose that the only REAL crime would be John wearing all of that feminine clothing he wore back in the day :).
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:01 am

Dan wrote:I fell like John Schlitt and John Elefante have become desperate, singing older secular songs in their set, what on earth has happened!? I even saw a video of John Schlitt singing “Never Been Any Reason” with some kid who sounds like a strangled chicken, the audience was a dozen old people… it was so sad to see this. Then "Carry on My Wayward Son" pushed me over the edge... Is this what has become of these Christian rockers? I know my post is probably going to upset people (sorry Sue), but I had to get it off my chest… it just seems to be one step, then another step… what are they willing to do next?
It would help if you explained exactly why this is a problem.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:26 am

Brent, that makes sense. I just see the guys doing stuff that would have been scrutinized 15 years ago. I was being religious, I need to stop doing that.
1 x

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:50 pm

Dan, the concert you're referring to (strangled chicken? seriously??) was in Mt. Pulaski, John's hometown. They were doing a little street festival to raise money to help restore portions of a historic courthouse, which John's father had helped work on and restore years back. They asked John if he would come and do a short set.

It's a VERY small town, and no - there wasn't a lot of people there because it IS a small place. But definitely more than a dozen old folks. The stage set up was on one side of the street, with the rest of the stuff (food tents, vendors, etc) on the opposite side.

The fact that it had been raining for the past hour, did nothing to increase the number of folks. But those that were there had a great time!

As far as Elefante & Schlitt singing their old tunes - the concerts are meant to be a musical history of their pasts, and that includes Head East AND Petra songs. He's not 'going mainstream,' or featuring secular songs... it's just part of who he is and what made him what he is today.
0 x

Dan
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic

Post by Dan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:20 pm

Hey Sue, strangled chicken was all that came to mind (a term for strained vocals) if you saw it you would know what I mean, I wasn't referring to anything John did in his home town, however I would love to see that if there is a video! I have given up on my claim about Kansas and Head East songs, I have been over religious... I am sorry everyone for being religious nut case.
0 x

executioner
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: JAH
Pethead since: 1980

Post by executioner » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:05 am

Dan wrote:Hey Sue, strangled chicken was all that came to mind (a term for strained vocals) if you saw it you would know what I mean, I wasn't referring to anything John did in his home town, however I would love to see that if there is a video! I have given up on my claim about Kansas and Head East songs, I have been over religious... I am sorry everyone for being religious nut case.

It's always good to be a little nutty; That is what most thought of Jesus in His day.
0 x
FORGIVE! FORGET! & LET GO!

sue d.
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Pethead since: 1993

Post by sue d. » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:30 pm

Hey Dan, I WAS there.... and I didn't hear any croaking chicken!

Now Stephen had no idea John was going to call him up there - he was just there to watch & support John. So if you do think he sounded rough - it's possible, because it was totally out of the blue, and no, Stephen didn't have time to warm up like most vocalists do. John's one of those rare ones who just goes out cold turkey with no warming up at all.

I think he sounded great for just jumping in there unprepared.

Here's the vid:
0 x

Mountain Man
Pethead Fanatic
Pethead Fanatic
#1 Album: Wake-Up Call
Pethead since: 1983

Post by Mountain Man » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:55 am

Strangled chicken? Dude, I wish I could sing like that! And what a treat for him to be able to share the stage with a rock legend like John Schlitt.
0 x

zman7720000
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: CITAS
Pethead since: 1989

Post by zman7720000 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:38 pm

Mountain Man wrote:Strangled chicken? Dude, I wish I could sing like that! And what a treat for him to be able to share the stage with a rock legend like John Schlitt.
And here I thought John was the chicken!
0 x
"Ya take a bath each Sunday, if you need it or not
And ya go to work on Monday even when it's hot"

Jonathan
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
Official Petrazone Spokesman.
#1 Album: More Power To Ya
Pethead since: 1991

Post by Jonathan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:14 pm

0 x
"...We bent our backs and pulled the oars to the beat of Louie's solo..."

fiendik
Pethead
Pethead
#1 Album: Beat The System
Pethead since: 2010

Post by fiendik » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:39 pm

I don't get what the problem was supposed to be with the singer (unless it's that he acted like a total clown)... seemed above average to me. I personally would prefer them to not do the old non-christian songs. It's not exactly evil, but seems completely pointless to me.
0 x
"Fiends are a gift from above, fiends are devoted and true..."

brent
Extreme Pethead Fanatic
Extreme Pethead Fanatic

Post by brent » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:12 pm

Well, it wouldn't be if you knew the young man and his relationship to a member of the original Head East band, etc.
0 x